Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,132,233 times

Advertisements

If one pays attention to rankings (employers do), here are a couple samples

US News and World Report
Rankings - Overview - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

UCLA 15
USC 20
Pepperdine 82
Loyola Marymount Unranked
Cal State Fullerton Unranked
Chapman Unranked

Business Week
Business School Rankings and Profiles: EMBA, Executive Education, MBA, Part-time MBA, Distance MBA Full Time MBA tab

UCLA 14
USC 25
Pepperdine Not Ranked
Loyola Marymount Not Considered
Cal State Fullerton Not Considered
Chapman Not Considered

This is not an absolute. I have a friend with a Pepperdine MBA and he has done very well for himself just as a previous poster. I am just providing rankings

If you are planning to work in government, it doesn't matter. The school doesn't even have to be accredited. buy one, nobody cares. It won't do you any good in the private sector though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,267,508 times
Don't bother with an MBA unless you go to top tier schools who will get you a job. It is really worthless. A lot of people don't find jobs after their MBA and then they have to pay back big debt.

If you are thinking about specializing in marketing - most definitely forget it. Worthless. Everyone wants to do that.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,695,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Don't bother with an MBA unless you go to top tier schools who will get you a job. It is really worthless. A lot of people don't find jobs after their MBA and then they have to pay back big debt.
Conversely, if you don't get in to UCLA or USC, going to a Cal State(with residency) will cost you 2200 or so a semester in tuition to get that MBA. And you can always have a concentration in MIS, which is great if you're technical

Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 PM

249 posts, read 327,969 times
Default thanks for the responses

I doubt I could get into USC or UCLA and more than likely would like to do something along the lines of international business/relations. Thanks for the responses. I am keeping my options open at the moment, looking into the financing of a masters degree and the loans ect. that would have to be repaid. I do work in government now, but am looking to expand my horizons so to speak.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM

197 posts, read 665,493 times
Let's not get carried away. I wouldn't call an MBA from a state school worthless. If the school is accredited, it is worth something. Some private (and of course government) employers don't care if you have an MBA from a lower tier school as long as its an accredited program.

Is a lower tier MBA worth as much as a top tier school like UCLA or USC? Of course not and it's not even close. The top tier schools also have the best networks for jobs when you graduate and potential networking opportunities throughout your career. That kind of networking can be priceless.

That being said, you need to think about why you want an MBA. It might be more beneficial to get something more specialized than an MBA (masters in something else or a professional certification/license). I've thought about an MBA but being in the accounting/auditing field, a CPA has proven much more valuable than an MBA would - especially if the MBA I would have gotten would probably not have been from a top tier school. I'd think about what you are really trying to get out of an MBA before you put all of that time and money towards it. There are plenty of unemployed or underemployed MBAs running around.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:34 AM

26,598 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
Is a lower tier MBA worth as much as a top tier school? Of course not. The top tier schools also have the best networks for jobs when you graduate and potential networking opportunities throughout your career.
Most people who get anything of value out of a second or third tier MBA are those who get their degree while working, are older, or their company pays for it. Not to say the degree isn't worth something, but networking isn't the reason these students are seeking the degree, as it might be for people right out of an undergraduate program and/or in their early twenties. (E.g. the Claremont Executive MBA program...mostly people over 35, needing it to gain knowledge in their already chosen fields, whose employers foot most of the bill.)

Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,953,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post

If you are planning to work in government, it doesn't matter. The school doesn't even have to be accredited. buy one, nobody cares. It won't do you any good in the private sector though.
I worked in a government HR office and YES, they do verify accreditation. If someone is going to get an MBA, at least ensure that the school is regionally accreditated (versus National which is worthless).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles