Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

274 posts, read 1,217,843 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can get a train from union station to santa monica or venice beach from union station? I have checked metro and it seems not but i just find that rather amazing in such a big city- to not offer that route?

I am also wondering if you can train it to laguna beach from LA?

I have researched it and perhpas the fact nothing is coming up means you cannot. No wonder the US creates so much pollution if people are forced into their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
i believe you can take the SurfLiner (amtrack) from Union Station to Laguna Niguel ... santa monica is probably best accessed by bus.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
i mentioned the santa monica big blue bus in another post you started. go to www.bigbluebus.com and look for line 10, it's an express bus between union station and santa monica. venice is only a mile or so south of the santa monica pier, so it is walkable. as for laguna beach, i'd imagine there is a way, but i would think that it would be way too difficult and time consuming to attempt.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 PM

274 posts, read 1,217,843 times
thanks guys-that is useful. will check out big blue bus.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Google Maps has a wonderful feature - go to Google Maps and enter your starting point and destination, and then select the public transportation icon, and the time of day you want to travel, and it will give you lots of options.

I used it when I was in Chicago for the weekend, and it's great!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
There are express buses to Santa Monica, too. They aren't as fast as the Big Blue Buses, but if you don't mind a more leisurely ride (or want to get on and off; there are a lot of interesting stops along the way) it's not too bad. For visitors it's a nice way to see the city. In all of these cases, it might not be train (yet) but the buses run constantly.

I haven't been to Laguna Beach, but as mentioned, Amtrak runs regularly down that route, as does the Metrolink line that goes to Oceanside. I'm not sure where the nearest station to Laguna Beach will be (maybe the Laguna Beach tourism people could help, or perhaps ask in the Orange County forum?), but presumably there are buses timed to meet the trains that head to Laguna Beach. Or stay on the train another stop and just get off in San Clemente for a different beach town experience (or better yet, stay on the train towards San Diego; once it hits San Clemente it runs right along the beach -- it's a great ride.)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,138 times
If you want to take the Surfliner you need reservations ahead of time.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,858 times
There is no "Laguna Beach Station", but there is actually a Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo station. It's located close to where the 5 "bends" between the two cities. It's called the OC line, and it will take you all the way to LA and back. Check the schedule to find out when it leaves to fit your own schedule:
Metrolink :: Schedules

There are buses from Union Station that take you to Santa Monica. I'm not sure about Venice though, as I've never "seen" one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
There is no "Laguna Beach Station", but there is actually a Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo station. It's located close to where the 5 "bends" between the two cities. It's called the OC line, and it will take you all the way to LA and back. Check the schedule to find out when it leaves to fit your own schedule:
Metrolink :: Schedules
I think everyone should take the Metrolink OC line from Oceanside at least once - it's such a pretty ride - and so different than you can see if you go by car. Absolutely one of my favorite train rides! Just make sure you sit by a window on the side of the train facing west!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles