Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 PM

20 posts, read 50,839 times

Advertisements

I heard that they are dying of/getting less violent in the NYC area cause of gentrification.

How is it in the LA area?

1. Are gang bangers become more or less in numvers?
  2. Are they getting more or less violent?
  3. Do they ever venture to more prosperous areas such as financial districts and upper class malls?
  4. Do they occupy the same areas. Or are they being pushed out by gentrification?
Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM

34 posts, read 54,202 times
?????????????????????? may be less i think

Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccaros View Post
I heard that they are dying of/getting less violent in the NYC area cause of gentrification.

How is it in the LA area?

1. Are gang bangers become more or less in numvers?
  2. Are they getting more or less violent?
  3. Do they ever venture to more prosperous areas such as financial districts and upper class malls?
  4. Do they occupy the same areas. Or are they being pushed out by gentrification?
Thanks for reading!
We have the three strike and you are out rule, so they are becoming more JAILED.
They are far more often becoming killers with little value regarding life itself, but that IMO probably goes back to the abortion politics and trying to tell everyone unborn babies are nothing. I think gang members have gotten more numb to killing.

IMO, it's worse. We just keep them locked up better.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Interestingly, today the LA Times did another story on gangs in Los Angeles and pointed out that they continue to decline. Gang activity has dropped 40% just in one year due to the city keeping parks open at night. Sports programs give kids things to do so that they don't get bored and feel like fighting. Here's the article:

Crime falls 40% in neighborhoods with Summer Night Lights program - latimes.com

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Interestingly, today the LA Times did another story on gangs in Los Angeles and pointed out that they continue to decline. Gang activity has dropped 40% just in one year due to the city keeping parks open at night. Sports programs give kids things to do so that they don't get bored and feel like fighting. Here's the article:

Crime falls 40% in neighborhoods with Summer Night Lights program - latimes.com
That my friend it the useless Times trying to help some party in politics and is a pants load of caca.

Most all the parks are used as a place for gang activity, and especially drugs.
I challenge you to go into any poor Los Angeles area and walk through the parks. Unless their is a police presence you are likely to have your head handed to you.
The ONLY thing keeping crime down is the 3 strikes law. Many are locked away.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
That my friend it the useless Times trying to help some party in politics and is a pants load of caca.

I challenge you to go into any poor Los Angeles area and walk through the parks. Unless their is a police presence you are likely to have your head handed to you.
Actually crime stats continue to fall which is very surprising when so many people are out of work. But the LAPD data indicates the 9th straight year that all crime has dropped including gang activity. LA is now has one of the lowest levels of crime among all large U.S. cities, just above New York. I live in a region that has marginal gang presence and the San Gabriel valley has a mixture of Latino and Asian gangs but you hardly ever heard of gang killings much anymore even in Los Angeles. The solution to gangs is more social than criminal and why sports programs seem to be gaining more attention for young people at least.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Your attitude is pretty ridiculous in my view. Why is it that some people are only happy when other people are getting punished? That the police and city work together to do something positive for kids in a community is GOOD use of our tax dollars.

Yes, we should punish and lock up the troublemakers. But most kids in those areas aren't bad kids....giving them safe and positve things to focus on only makes sense.

I don't care if it's the sport activities or the mere presence of more cops in the area that reduce the crime.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Your attitude is pretty ridiculous in my view. Why is it that some people are only happy when other people are getting punished? That the police and city work together to do something positive for kids in a community is GOOD use of our tax dollars.

Yes, we should punish and lock up the troublemakers. But most kids in those areas aren't bad kids....giving them safe and positve things to focus on only makes sense.

I don't care if it's the sport activities or the mere presence of more cops in the area that reduce the crime.
I second the comment on the "let's get tuff on crime" political grandstanding. Folks like RCCB who love to complain about government spending don't seem to realize that it's a heck of a lot less costly to to society, both in terms of direct (actual fiscal impact) and indirect costs (loss of productive citizens who can contribute as wage earners and taxpayers) to provide youth with social and community programs that benefit them than to arrest and incarcerate them later.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 106,368 times
i dont know specifically, but i think it is decreasing now a days as more and more people get involve with true life and not on punkster.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
Along with incarceration (3 strikes, heavy gang enhancements etc), high property values and gentrification of many areas such as Hollywood, Westlake, Pico-Union have driven them off to areas like Rialto, Antelope Valley, San Bernardino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles