Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times

Advertisements

I am going to be attending Cal Poly Pomona next Fall as a transfer student. Is this mostly a commuter school? How many of the students live on campus? Does the school have a rec center or a big gym? What is their to do in Pomona? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,698 times
Mostly a commuter school. They have some on campus housing options. But most of the students live off campus and commute from surrounding cities.....Pasadena, Claremont, Walnut, Diamond Bar, West Covina, Covina, San Dimas, Monterey Park, etc.

Pomona is NOT the greatest city...with crime and poverty issues. But there are pockets of Pomona that are nice (Phillips Ranch). Not much to do in Pomona other than the LA County Fair. Plenty of the surrounding cities are nice....like the ones I mentioned above.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Mostly a commuter school. They have some on campus housing options. But most of the students live off campus and commute from surrounding cities.....Pasadena, Claremont, Walnut, Diamond Bar, West Covina, Covina, San Dimas, Monterey Park, etc.

Pomona is NOT the greatest city...with crime and poverty issues. But there are pockets of Pomona that are nice (Phillips Ranch). Not much to do in Pomona other than the LA County Fair. Plenty of the surrounding cities are nice....like the ones I mentioned above.
If 20 miles is a "surrounding city" you can add another 20 cities to that list.

Cal Poly is definitely a commuter school. If you want that college party life, you aren't going to get that at Cal Poly. Their parties suck as do most of their frats. I went down to Cal State Fullerton when I wanted to party. I lived on campus for a while but they have some real BS rules so I left. I lived in "The Village" which sucked and often times drove across the street to get to class since the bus was not timely.

The gym is pretty good. Its not awesome but it has alot of the same equipment you can find at a gym. I believe it cost 10 bucks a month and its right next to the main cafeteria.

Cal Poly Pomona is BARELY in Pomona. You don't want to do much in Pomona. If you go towards Mt. Sac, thats Walnut which is a better but boring city. They have built a lot of shopping areas down Valley in Walnut as well.

The school is located in a good spot for traveling. Its right off the 10 and 57. So if you want to go down to LA, just take the 10. If you want to go down to beaches, take the 57 then the 22 or 405 depending on which beach. Its about a 30 minute drive minus traffic.

All in all, its a good school. However, its a bit boring. I highly suggest you join a club or two to make friends. This also depends on which major you are taking. Some "colleges" do a real good job making students with the same major familiar with each other and others are just too busy too care.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
If 20 miles is a "surrounding city" you can add another 20 cities to that list.

Cal Poly is definitely a commuter school. If you want that college party life, you aren't going to get that at Cal Poly. Their parties suck as do most of their frats. I went down to Cal State Fullerton when I wanted to party. I lived on campus for a while but they have some real BS rules so I left. I lived in "The Village" which sucked and often times drove across the street to get to class since the bus was not timely.

The gym is pretty good. Its not awesome but it has alot of the same equipment you can find at a gym. I believe it cost 10 bucks a month and its right next to the main cafeteria.

Cal Poly Pomona is BARELY in Pomona. You don't want to do much in Pomona. If you go towards Mt. Sac, thats Walnut which is a better but boring city. They have built a lot of shopping areas down Valley in Walnut as well.

The school is located in a good spot for traveling. Its right off the 10 and 57. So if you want to go down to LA, just take the 10. If you want to go down to beaches, take the 57 then the 22 or 405 depending on which beach. Its about a 30 minute drive minus traffic.

All in all, its a good school. However, its a bit boring. I highly suggest you join a club or two to make friends. This also depends on which major you are taking. Some "colleges" do a real good job making students with the same major familiar with each other and others are just too busy too care.
I agree, yes, we all know Pomona isn't the greatest place in the state. It wasn't even 20 or 30 years ago, but I think of Cal Poly almost as being in San Dimas.

Joining organizations is the best way to fit into any situation, especially when attending a commuters school.

Nita

Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 46,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I am going to be attending Cal Poly Pomona next Fall as a transfer student. Is this mostly a commuter school? How many of the students live on campus? Does the school have a rec center or a big gym? What is their to do in Pomona? Thanks!

I went there for 2.5 years a transfer student.

1. Predominantly M-TH commuter school.
2. Good edication.
3. Only about 2,000 Students live on campus.
4. Big Rec Center.
5. Nothing to do in Pomona. Fraternities and other activities is the only thing to do. It's a very boring school to go to.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times
So a big rec center. I hope it's free. cal poly slo's is free i think. bummer its a commuter school. but they r one of the best for my major. and bummer nothing in pomona, but its in a good location near jobs. whats in san dimas?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 AM

13 posts, read 46,577 times
Quote:
So a big rec center. I hope it's free. cal poly slo's is free i think. bummer its a commuter school. but they r one of the best for my major. and bummer nothing in pomona, but its in a good location near jobs. whats in san dimas?
Raging Waters is in San Dimas.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,698 times
Quote:
To Cal Poly's credit the students are there to get an education....not party all the time. Doesn't mean you won't have fun. You will.

San Dimas is a pretty quiet town but in terms of finding things to do in surrounding areas you can look into:

1) Claremont (where the "other" Pomona College is located) is a very nice and quaint college town with a few bars/restaurants/cafes. I'd say it's about 10 minutes from Cal Poly Pomona. Not raging nightlife but a very nice place to hang out from time to time.

2) Covina's downtown or "main street" area has been revitalized and has a few bars (3 Vinos is a good one) where some Cal Poly students go.

3 vino's: latin cuisine restaurant bar entertainment dancing in Covina

For more lively nightlife you can drive to Pasadena or Downtown Los Angeles. Both are about a 30 minute drive from Cal Poly Pomona....which by LA standards is not that far. Both have very numerous and varied nightlife options.

The one claim to fame for San Dimas...it was the setting for the 1989 film "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" starring a then very young Keanu Reeves.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I attended this school from 1996 - 1998 & 2001 - 2006. I live 30 min away, so I never lived on campus. I only went to school strictly for my classes. The second they were over, I drove home, I didn't linger around the campus, nor ever hung out in the surrounding area. When I 1st started going there, I looked into joining a fraternity/sorority (I said both so as not to reveal my gender). But didn't end up going that route. That had nothing to do w/ the city. I didn't like the idea of having to pay money to have friends & be a part of a group...that's basically what it is, other than it looking good on your resume.

When people hear the name Pomona, it's known as NOT a good city. I'd say it's as bad as Rialto. There isn't squat to do in Pomona like the others said. I just go to the Pomona Fair, which is every Sept/Oct & a few other events at the Pomona Fairgrounds. I wouldn't want to hang around the city at night. Stay away from Holt Blvd! It's known for prostitution & where there's prostitution, you know there's other bad things going on too. But it may be kind of tough since it's the major street going through the city.

But, there are a couple of good areas. An older lady friend of my mom's lives in Phillips Ranch. It's nice, but I wouldn't want to live there. There may be less crime, but there's nothing to do there either. It's a boring area.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
But, there are a couple of good areas. An older lady friend of my mom's lives in Phillips Ranch. It's nice, but I wouldn't want to live there. There may be less crime, but there's nothing to do there either. It's a boring area.
Yeah, there's not much of any night life here (unless you count going to WinCo at 3am in the morning ... BTDT). And you know what? That's just fine by me.

Bedroom communities may not be for everyone, but it is for those who are in that time of life when they feel like "settling down". Or at least preparing to ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles