Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 30,997 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been offered work in the Burbank, Glendale, and Los Angeles areas. I am clueless to CA because I've never been. I do plan on visiting but I thought I should ask some natives. I am from NYC and I've lived down south for 4 years now.

What's the good suburb neighborhoods to raise kids in those areas of CA? What's the average home price?
Any family recommendations would be helpful. We're a family with kids, a dog and the whole cheesy suburb lifestyle. So I'm not trying to be in the hood in Cali. I can stay in NYC for that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
I live in Burbank with my husband, baby, 2 cats, & a dog. It's great! We'd like to buy in Burbank, but it's tough to get anything decent under $400k. I have friends (with kids) who live in Glendale and love it. Both have decent school systems. If money is no object, also check out South Pasadena (where it's tough to get anything decent for under $600k/$700k).

You also might want to check out Sherman Oaks. Not sure of the house prices, but I think it's pricey to live there. Also, Studio City (also pricey, and no idea of the school system).

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
housing budget, work hours, commute tolerance????

Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Housing is ridiculously expensive compared to the rental price. Just about any 3bd/2ba house in that general area(Glendale, Burbank, Montrose, La Cresenta, etc) is going to start at a minimum of $450K, and $600K is a more realistic number. OTOH, equivalent rentals start in the $2100-2500/mo range. Affordability in the area is very dependant on how desperate you are to buy. Townhomes start cheaper.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Wow thanks for so much information. I really wanted to know the ballpark housing costs and different areas that are good. I don't know much about the neighborhoods and I'm planning on visiting this summer. Are there any major differences between the areas mentioned are is all basic suburbs? I see that for a decent home price I'm looking at 450k-650k. I'd better get a grip on that sticker shock. Thanks again to you all.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Default work

Also I guess I should mention that most of my jobs as an animator will be in Burbank, and Los Angeles so I am not interested on over an hour commutes to work.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Its all one of the nicer areas of LA. Burbank, Glendale, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Valley Village, some parts of North Hollywood. Burbank and Glendale schools are ok and have their own school districts. The other places are LAUSD which are generally bad, especially at high school level. Homes built in the 50's-70s mostly, but some persian palaces, esp in Valley Village. No more than 30 minute rush hour drive from any of those, and thats only from the extreme edges. All are generally safe. Only real difference is Glendale has a very legitimate downtown with entertainment(Americana is gorgeous), business, the real deal. Burbank has an restaurant oriented downtown. Sherman Oaks and Studio City downtown like areas are more stretched out along Ventura Bl. Glendale is like 50% Armenian and Burbank has a heavy armenian presence. Valley Village is more jewish as is Sherman Oaks. Studio City is younger and more heavily populated by wanna be entertainment people.

Rent is 40-80% of what a mortgage would be on an equivalent property along with your 20% downpayment. Absolutely do not buy if you are intending to relocate within 5 years. Reconsider also if you intend to move within 10 years. That whole pocket of LA is still in a major bubble and if you ever want to see a real estate denier, check out this page:

San Fernando Valley Real Estate

and compare it to:

Dr. Housing Bubble Blog

Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM

63 posts, read 209,487 times
Schools in Glendale vary dramatically. I went to jr high and high school in Glendale (Toll and Hoover), and thought they were okay, but later on moved back to a different area of Glendale and was shocked by how bad the local elementary school was. I would recommend Glendale north of Glenoaks and closer to Burbank; this is where I lived when I was growing up, and it's still a pretty nice neighborhood. There is a really big Armenian population in Glendale, and more recently in Burbank as well.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times
Glendale and Burbank are more cityfied than suburban I think. Same with the parts of Los Angeles like Hollywood, North Hollywood, West Los Angeles, and other districts. They're nice areas but they all were condensed and looked more like separate downtown areas. The real suburbs of Los Angeles that really have a suburban appearance are the ones to the east, San Bernardino, Fontana, Pomona, Ontario, and other similar towns in that area. I would think prices would be less expensive out that way, and there's even train service available into Los Angeles so you wouldn't have to drive so much.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Glendale and Burbank are more cityfied than suburban I think. Same with the parts of Los Angeles like Hollywood, North Hollywood, West Los Angeles, and other districts. They're nice areas but they all were condensed and looked more like separate downtown areas. The real suburbs of Los Angeles that really have a suburban appearance are the ones to the east, San Bernardino, Fontana, Pomona, Ontario, and other similar towns in that area. I would think prices would be less expensive out that way, and there's even train service available into Los Angeles so you wouldn't have to drive so much.
That's really really REALLY far away! It would take about 1 hour & 45 minutes to take public transport from Pomona to Hollywood. About the same as it would to drive.

I don't find Burbank to be "cityfied" at all. It seems very suburban to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles