Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:39 AM

7 posts, read 19,003 times

Advertisements

After five years in Portland, I'm SO ready to get back to LA! I notice a lot of negativity about LA, so here's why I'm excited to come "home" and advice to anyone about how they can enjoy living here.

1. Good job. Living anywhere with a lousy job is going to suck. LA is no different. Don't move here unless you are on a decent career track. But, the truth is, LA is a pretty easy place to advance if you are somewhat intelligent and hard working. Get into an entertainment company on the ground floor. This usually means production assistant, runner(driver) or vault person. Show initiative and be a great, reliable employee. You WILL advance, regardless of where you went to school or your degree. The entertainment field is a great equalizer - it only cares about how well you do your job. I know lots of people that didn't go to college or didn't do well and are making serious dough now. As long as you kick ass at your job, it doesn't matter - you will advance. Just don't worry about your salary at first - you'll probably start off making around $10 hour.

2. Live close to where you work. Traffic doesn't have to affect you. You can sleep later and still be on time. This also helps you be a better employee - you can be available to dash in with just a few minutes notice if they need you.

3. Live on the west side. Of course, you may not be able to control this at first depending on where you get a job, but shoot for working on the westside. The valley is very unpleasant in the summer. 100+ and smoggy. West side is where it's at. Live near the beach and enjoy the best of LA.

4. Stay childless. If you want or have kids, LA is not for you. I think it's a terrible place to raise kids. But if you don't want kids, it's great. You can get a one bedroom apartment near the beach for around $1200. Really not that much when you're making decent money and you're saving $ by not driving far to work (or even better, biking). If you're just starting out, get into a shared housing situation.

5. Drive off hours. If you're heading to Vegas for the weekend, don't leave at 5pm on a Friday. Leave early Saturday morning, or even better - get used to driving in the middle of the night. I'll do anything to avoid traffic and I stay up late anyway, so I have no problem leaving for Vegas or Mammoth at 3am. Missing the traffic is absolutely worth it.

One thing to think about is, if you do end up in the entertainment industry, you're pretty much stuck in this town. Most of these jobs don't translate to the "civilian" world, so you'll have a lot of trouble trying to find a job if you move to another city. I opened my own business when I moved to Porltand. It's been interesting and challenging, but I 'm ready to move back. I know it's cliche to say it - but I really, really hate the weather here. LA is gritty and kind of rough around the edges, but I like that. There's lots of stuff to do in the middle of the night, lots of diversity, lots of great little hole in the wall restaurants to discover, lots of outdoor stuff to do within half a day's drive. I won't live here forever, I seem to get bored of anywhere after about five years, but it's my favorite city in the world and I can't wait to get back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM

171 posts, read 530,711 times
I've read stories lately of people who work in the entertainment industry who were laid off and are now facing foreclosure. No job is guaranteed to be immune from this.

There are many places to live in L.A. that are as good, or even better, than the westside.

Remain childless if you want to live in L.A.? I think that's nuts. Millions of kids live and thrive here.

As for the rest of what you wrote, whatever It's your opinion, which you're of course entitled to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbr View Post
After five years in Portland, I'm SO ready to get back to LA! I notice a lot of negativity about LA, so here's why I'm excited to come "home" and advice to anyone about how they can enjoy living here.

1. Good job. Living anywhere with a lousy job is going to suck. LA is no different. Don't move here unless you are on a decent career track. But, the truth is, LA is a pretty easy place to advance if you are somewhat intelligent and hard working. Get into an entertainment company on the ground floor. This usually means production assistant, runner(driver) or vault person. Show initiative and be a great, reliable employee. You WILL advance, regardless of where you went to school or your degree. The entertainment field is a great equalizer - it only cares about how well you do your job. I know lots of people that didn't go to college or didn't do well and are making serious dough now. As long as you kick ass at your job, it doesn't matter - you will advance. Just don't worry about your salary at first - you'll probably start off making around $10 hour.

2. Live close to where you work. Traffic doesn't have to affect you. You can sleep later and still be on time. This also helps you be a better employee - you can be available to dash in with just a few minutes notice if they need you.

3. Live on the west side. Of course, you may not be able to control this at first depending on where you get a job, but shoot for working on the westside. The valley is very unpleasant in the summer. 100+ and smoggy. West side is where it's at. Live near the beach and enjoy the best of LA.

4. Stay childless. If you want or have kids, LA is not for you. I think it's a terrible place to raise kids. But if you don't want kids, it's great. You can get a one bedroom apartment near the beach for around $1200. Really not that much when you're making decent money and you're saving $ by not driving far to work (or even better, biking). If you're just starting out, get into a shared housing situation.

5. Drive off hours. If you're heading to Vegas for the weekend, don't leave at 5pm on a Friday. Leave early Saturday morning, or even better - get used to driving in the middle of the night. I'll do anything to avoid traffic and I stay up late anyway, so I have no problem leaving for Vegas or Mammoth at 3am. Missing the traffic is absolutely worth it.

One thing to think about is, if you do end up in the entertainment industry, you're pretty much stuck in this town. Most of these jobs don't translate to the "civilian" world, so you'll have a lot of trouble trying to find a job if you move to another city. I opened my own business when I moved to Porltand. It's been interesting and challenging, but I 'm ready to move back. I know it's cliche to say it - but I really, really hate the weather here. LA is gritty and kind of rough around the edges, but I like that. There's lots of stuff to do in the middle of the night, lots of diversity, lots of great little hole in the wall restaurants to discover, lots of outdoor stuff to do within half a day's drive. I won't live here forever, I seem to get bored of anywhere after about five years, but it's my favorite city in the world and I can't wait to get back!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 PM

14 posts, read 28,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
I've read stories lately of people who work in the entertainment industry who were laid off and are now facing foreclosure. No job is guaranteed to be immune from this.

There are many places to live in L.A. that are as good, or even better, than the westside.

Remain childless if you want to live in L.A.? I think that's nuts. Millions of kids live and thrive here.

As for the rest of what you wrote, whatever It's your opinion, which you're of course entitled to.

Thank you. I thought that was pretty absurd. I have a child and I am moving to L.A. in the summer.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
millions of kids may live in LA metro but they don't thrive. its a tough place to grow up, even in the wealthy parts of town. I agree with the OP - don't have kids here. if you dont have much extra money, they'll make a middle class income into one of poverty.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM

130 posts, read 579,291 times
I have always prefered San Diego to Los Angeles. And I would take Palm Springs over Las Vegas any day.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 PM

25 posts, read 131,938 times
I know…I'm moving to LA this summer with my husband and 7 year old son!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM

130 posts, read 579,291 times
I think the forum already recommended staying out of LA if you have kids ;P

Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbr View Post

good post, good advise. Except for the smog though, I don't see anything wrong with the SG valley. I think this is simply a personal opinion.

Nita

Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
??

I have friends in LA with thriving kids. I have middle-class friends with thriving kids who (gasp) LIVE IN THE VALLEY!

Actually, I'M pretty middle class, live in the valley, and have a thriving baby.

And it's pretty awesome.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Childless/childfree indeed. LA is a great place, but bad for raising children, yet many continue to have them here. Look away. That should also apply to California as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles