Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM

420 posts, read 877,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Compton is a separate municipality from the city of Los Angeles and has around 95K people, but it is within Los Angeles County.

Keep in mind that these stats only include hard crimes like homicide, sexual assault, battery, robbert, etc., not narcotics dealing, prostitution, gambling, gang membership, etc.

The perception of crime among residents is also important. I bet if they polled people from Pacoima, they would say that they feel unsafe and the crime rate is higher than it appears on paper because of drug dealing, prostitution, gangs..
Good point. As are Long Beach, Pasadena and Anaheim, home of Disneyland. But shortsighted people lump them together with Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
Some body that actually lives in Oakland-
--OR Richmond-
-can you give me a un biased opinion . Offered a position in the area, Im thinking about it- -I live near Newark NJ , and I know that city , while not the safest- get a bad rap -

Thanks
Just like Ironbound in Newark is just fine, many parts of Oakland are just fine. Oakland violence is concentrated in West Oakland and parts of East Oakland. A pretty large part of the city is at least relatively safe. The areas closest to Berkeley are quite safe like Rockridge and Clairmount, even Temescal which at one time had a bad rep is relatively safe. If one compares Oakland with Newark, the areas of Oakland that are at least OK are larger than the areas of Newark that are at least OK.

As for Richmond, there are a couple of OK neighborhoods but most of it is pretty bad -the Iron Triangle is amongst the worst neighborhoods in the state.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Kansas City
Dayton

All those actually have large white populations.
And Buffalo's white majority.

Quote:
Go up to Palmdale and Lancaster in LA County---the desert ghettos. Overwhemingly white. Same with plenty of the Inland Empire.
Palmdale and Lancaster are no longer "overwhelmingly white", they're pretty mixed now, but there are some very scummy and dangerous whites there who are as just as scummy, dangerous, and crime-prone as any other groups living there.

Quote:
The stats above only deal with hard crime such as homicide, robbery assault, battery.

If one could quantify narcotics, street prostitution, and the numbers took into account DUIs (which in my opinion are probably second to homicide and sex crimes as the most serious), the cities represented would look vastly different.
Street prostitution and street drug dealing usually affect other crime statistics. Of course, if those lists included drug dealing and prostitution in private, then Beverly Hills would be really, really high on such a list, but it's when it's on the street that other problems are generated....

Old 04-10-2011, 08:08 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And Buffalo's white majority.

Palmdale and Lancaster are no longer "overwhelmingly white", they're pretty mixed now, but there are some very scummy and dangerous whites there who are as just as scummy, dangerous, and crime-prone as any other groups living there.

Street prostitution and street drug dealing usually affect other crime statistics. Of course, if those lists included drug dealing and prostitution in private, then Beverly Hills would be really, really high on such a list, but it's when it's on the street that other problems are generated....
I heard whites can be pretty racist in Antelope Valley. Lancaster is run by the Lowriders gang.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
Some body that actually lives in Oakland-
--OR Richmond-
-can you give me a un biased opinion . Offered a position in the area, Im thinking about it- -I live near Newark NJ , and I know that city , while not the safest- get a bad rap -

Thanks
Both Oakland and Richmond have way more to offer than what their crime rates would imply. I would venture to say that even in the Bay Area, most people are clueless when it comes to Oakland and what the city is about. I dont blame them tho, the local media loves to exploit everything that happens in Oakland.

Oakland

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1369/...8c1650b1_b.jpg

Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,810 times
Very interesting. So L.A.'s crime rate is lower than the "paradises" of Seattle, Denver, San Antonio, Charlotte, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Nashville, Vegas, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, and DC.

In fact, the only "big" cities that appear to have lower crime rates are NYC, San Diego, Portland, San Jose, Honolulu, and El Paso. Not surprised by that list except for El Paso. (And so much for the theory espoused by some posters that only "white" places can have low crime -- El Paso, NYC, and L.A. are not exactly white-washed).

Remind me to bring this up the next time someone says they are moving away from L.A. because it's too "dangerous".

In addition, in the first quarter (Jan-Mar), L.A. recorded a 12.5% drop in homicides and violent crimes from the year earlier (which, last year, as noted previously, was the lowest rate of crime since the 60s).

Old 04-11-2011, 12:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
Philly is among the most dangerous city and is a rough town.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Philly is among the most dangerous city and is a rough town.
And half white.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
I must add Chicago on the list since it's the murder capital of the U.S..

Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
I must add Chicago on the list since it's the murder capital of the U.S..
Chicago is demographically even though. Roughly 33% Black, 30% White, 30% Hispanic, the rest are Asian or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles