Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole818 View Post
Lifeshadower, I am about to be 26. I'm not from that old-culture era... I am technically american-korean with pasty white skin. My primary and only language I speak is english. All your latino friends accept you because they think you have latin blood pumping though your veins. According to what I've heard other mexicans say. To answer your counter question, how would anyone like any group of people who are blatently rude to them. In my case it's Mexicans. I've noticed it here like crazy. This has been MY personal experience. YOUR experience in LA sounds a lot more open and accepted than my experience here has been. No, I don't go around treating mexicans like crap. I don't treat anyone rudely. I posted this question to see if other asian americans who live in LA have had racial issues with hispanics as I certainly have.
I'm 22, and grew up in Los Angeles.

How do YOU know what is going through their head? With my obvious Arabic name and with me fasting until today, I'm 100% sure they think I'm a Latino

See how it works: you have an issue with Latinos stereotype you, but yet you stereotype how my Latino friends think. So you're accusing Latinos of doing the same exact thing you're doing, and you're surprised? Maybe its because you only choose to see things that you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Keep in mind that they're also engaged in a war along ethnic lines with blacks in LA over drug turf, and pushing them out of their traditional neighborhoods. You're not the only one affected(not saying that in a negative way)

Yeah, because what gangsters do determines what everyday people do....

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Oh the irony, as a hispanic the worse discrimination I felt has been from Asians. When you walk into some korean business its all eyes on you! I have seen Koreans simply refuse to serve hispanics and blacks and even tell people to get out of their business. This was a regular ocurance in koreatown back in the 80s. Ive seen the way koreans treat their undocumented workers. Walking around the santee alleys, ive seen alot of stuff go down, even physical intimidation of female employes and actual abuse. Asians might never admit it, but they are by far the most racist group towards Hispanics.

I lived right on arapahoe street back in the 80s, near the corner of Olympic and hoover. The building across the street from mine was all Korean. the kids never played with us, even when we tried to invite them to play baseball or soccer with us they never did. and the older koreans used to chase us away screaming when we played on the grass infront of their buidling. We were scared of them.

Anyone who lives in Los Angeles KNOWS thats the truth. Koreans are exclusively to themselves K-town was alot different back in the 80s then it is now. Im not defenfing rude Hispanics, cause *******s come in all shapes, colors and sizes. But dont try to make hispanics the villans all the time, that just B.S!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM

16 posts, read 98,920 times
Lifeshadower-I thought You said that you came from filipino immigrants. So you are not filipino or asian? My mistake. Thanks for your "fiery" input despite how off-topic your comments were.

Last edited by Marka; 09-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: per request

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,764 times
I currently live in O.C, am an Asian female and I NEVER experienced that behavior. I noticed a lot of Mexicans actually like Asian females (however, I don't think Mexicans particularly like Asian men). I always get hit on by Hispanic guys all the time. I learned some Spanish back in HS (many years ago) so when I used to go this Sushi place I talked some broken Spanish with the worker there and they wanted to give me free food.

I went to Staples Center and some Mexican guy was selling stuff when I was crossing the street and he said "bonita" and I just said "gracias" and then he said "You speak Spanish?" etc.

However, I don't have pasty skin and some people say I look kind of mixed so I don't have that "real Asian look". My friend is also Asian but super mixed looking with an hourglass body and Mexicans always hit on her and fall in love with her everywhere.

If you are attractive and hot enough enough, Mexican guys will be very nice to you.... If they serve the lady behind you it probably means you are not their type. I don't mean to be rude but it's true. Even if Mexicans may not like Asians in general, if you are a HOT FEMALE they will still be VERY nice to you; from the ones who don't speak English even to the gangsta types. They are always nice to attractive women in general. If you are hot enough, they don't seem to care what race you are from.

I think receiving poor treatment depends more on how you look then what race you are. For example, when I don't get ready and dress like a slob I get poor treatment from everyone. However, when I get dolled up men of ALL races are nice to me.

I notice more rudeness from FEMALE LATINAS but never the men. Females always tend to hate on other females (even if they are the same race; I get lots of hate from Asian females too). Men are generally nice to every woman that is hot regardless of race.

Last edited by jackie100; 08-31-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,488 times
Quote:
They are just blatently rude for the most part. (No, not ALL HISPANICS act like this, but a LOT.) And on a REGULAR basis. Example: I'm standing in line waiting for a bite to eat and the mexican server serves the mexican lady BEHIND me first. And it's just other "small" things. I take it you aren't asian. They snicker at you. It's so weird. No. I'm not dreaming or paranoid or crazy. I've lived here 8 years now. And when I visit other cities and from the other cities I've lived in, I never get that vibe like I get from here. It's discusting. I'm always polite. And I just don't get it...

Were these people that would not serve you wearing badges stating they were from Mexico? You can just magically read their minds and know they are mexican, right? The gang references in your first post are very telling?

Sounds like you have a habit of categorzing people and making sweeping generalizations too! Just remember when you point the figner at someone there are three fingers pointing right back at you.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 PM

181 posts, read 435,583 times
Quote:
I have lived here for almost 8 years now in the SFV area. And if it weren't for my husbands work, I'd be out of here faster than a blink of an eye. As an asian american woman, I have never in my life experienced so much racism (from Mexicans/hispanics) in my whole life. I was born and raised in Seattle, WA (70% caucasian population) and lived in Portland, OR (same thing, mostly caucasian) and now moving to the very diverse Los Angeles, CA, the racism is by far the worst!!!??? I've heard it could be "gang related" to "workforce competition" and things like that. I think it's more and or not just that..... Anyone who has lived here a while and is Asian would know what I'm talking about. Feedback would be nice on this topic so at least I can understand why they act this way towards us.....
Well Ill be truthful which always pisses most So cal folks off. Hispanics have been lead to believe they are a separate race (La Raza) by the race baiters and poverty pimps.

Maldef, La Raza, Lulac etc etc are all special interest race power groups who work to make Latinos believe they are special, deserve priority and are oppressed.

Any other "minority" is seen as a threat to there power base, and an outsider. Does this mean all latino's think like this..of course not but there leaders do. Here are some selected quotes from latino leaders that tells you exactly what they think. If you dont like it then dont read it they said it so deal with it.

"Go back to Boston! Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over." -- Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets

"They're afraid we're going to take over the governmental institutions and other institutions. They're right. We will take them over. We are here to stay." -- Richard Alatorre, Los Angeles City Councilman

"We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. The explosion is in our population . . . I love it. They are ****ting in their pants with fear. I love it!" -- Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez, University of Texas

"Remember 187--proposition to deny taxpayer funds for services to non-citizens--was the last gasp of white America in California." -- Art Torres, Chairman of the California Democratic Party

"We are politicizing every single one of these new citizens that are becoming citizens of this country . . . I gotta tell you that a lot of people are saying, 'I'm going to go out there and vote because I want to pay them back.'" -- Gloria Molina, Los Angeles County Supervisor

"California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn't like it should leave." -- Mario Obledo, California Coalition of Hispanic Organizations and California State Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare under Governor Jerry Brown, also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bill Clinton

"We are practicing 'La Reconquista' in California." -- Jose Pescador Osuna, Mexican Consul General

"The American Southwest seems to be slowly returning to the jurisdiction of Mexico without firing a single shot." -- Excelsior, the national newspaper of Mexico

I could go on and on.....

These are all real quotes from latino leaders, your being asian means you are not one of them. And your minority status threatens their dibs on the goodies and handouts they want.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,408 times
Quote:
I've lived in Encino, Tarzana, Studio City, and now Woodland Hills. I have never lived in the rough parts of the valley. And lol I have never even set foot in a Jons market.

Well ok, but you know those areas suck too Sorry, but 'tis true you know. Woodland hills is a floating island in poop.

I think the next time this happens you should walk out of the establishment that is treating you poorly.

Please dont tell us you commute to west la for work... lol

Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,408 times
Deadtime, That was a good post. Thank you for quoting those politicians.

Unfortunately we have become the caretaker for the world and taxpayers are paying for it.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Deadtime, That was a good post. Thank you for quoting those politicians.

Unfortunately we have become the caretaker for the world and taxpayers are paying for it.
I disagree. Deadtime's post was pretty much a bogus post. Selectively picking quotes from activists and claiming they speak for an entire spectrum of people.

But given a thread as filled with B.S. as this one it fits right in.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post

I could go on and on.....
"Wayk up wigheeet peepul! Git yer guns and deefend God's graieet countree!!" Alabama awaits...

Actually, if Mexico wasn't such a ****hole, the natives wouldn't be so keen on going north. If US employers would cease to hire undocumented workers, then the allure would fade as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles