Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM

142 posts, read 754,801 times

Advertisements

As we know, the cost of living in California is way high. I was doing a search on that, and Los Angeles has 130% higher cost of living than my current hometown (yikes!), which means that I have to get a job with good pay to be able to survive Los Angeles.

Are salaries in Los Angeles higher than in the rest of the country to meet the cost of living?

I'm currently a teacher in Texas, and my yearly base salary is $41,000 with five years experience. Does a teacher with that number of years experience make much more, due to the cost of living?

When I relocate (summer 2008), I'm not planning on being a teacher. My college degree is in journalism, and that's why I'm moving to L.A., for the chance to be able to work in my field, which I love.

What are the expected entry level salaries for the entertainment industry for someone with absolutely no experience on the field?

If any of you have relocated to Los Angeles, have you seen an increase in the average salary for your job? (Specific jobs and salary amounts would be greatly appreciated so I can see the "big picture")

Thanks for any opinions, information, or suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
My responses in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post

Are salaries in Los Angeles higher than in the rest of the country to meet the cost of living?

Absolutely not.

I'm currently a teacher in Texas, and my yearly base salary is $41,000 with five years experience. Does a teacher with that number of years experience make much more, due to the cost of living?

No Way.

If any of you have relocated to Los Angeles, have you seen an increase in the average salary for your job? (Specific jobs and salary amounts would be greatly appreciated so I can see the "big picture")

No, I moved from Los Angeles. SoCal pays exactly 6.4% more in salary for engineers than does Colorado.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I know you say you're not interested in being a teacher, but just in case, you can check out the LAUSD Salary Schedule and then make an informed comparison.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Los Angeles has 130% higher cost of living than my current hometown (yikes!)
Where in Texas do you live right now? Houston?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
My mom, Bonnie Siegler, is a writer for Viva Magazine, Woman's World, First for Women, Fitness, and others. She used to write for Star, Life and Style, InStyle, and others. I think she makes around 110,000 a year, but has been doing it for a very long time. She started Viva Magazine with a man from Toronto, and now the man wants to open an office in LA. He may hire if you are good, but I would have to talk to my mom about it. She would probably say no, though, because she hates me getting too personal on public websites. But, if you are very serious about this, maybe I can talk her in to hooking you up, based on how good you are.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Look to Charter, Magnet and Private schools when seeking employment, specifically the latter. We have LOTS of them here.

I'm still trying to figure out who makes these "average" salaries. I never have.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM

486 posts, read 982,288 times
Quote:
I think that it depends on your profession and the part of the country that you currently reside. I am in the process of interviewing for a position in California. The starting range for the position is what I am currently making. The end point is 40,000 more than what I am currently making. I am expecting to be somewhere near the end point. With that difference in pay it will offset the higher cost of living.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
With that difference in pay it will offset the higher cost of living.
Are you moving from New York, Boston, or Washington DC?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
I was a teacher in California last year. It kind of depends where you teach...some districts pay higher for incentive. With 5 years experience in my former district, you'd be making a little more than 49,000, more if you have extra credits and a masters. I know you said you were not planning on teaching, but I just thought I'd add my two cents with the comparison.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I am coming the other way (taught in LA for 16 years) and have moved to NC. My salary was literally cut in HALF when I moved here.

BTW: I worked in LAUSD for ALL of those years and really want to return to LA and work again in LAUSD. I just need to convince DH to move. His job is better in LA too (more opportunities for advancement) but he likes the smaller city.

Anyway, take a look at the LAUSD website and you can see a salary scale. All health insurance is paid for so you don't need to worry about that.

PM me if you have any questions.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles