Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I completely disagree. LA is tops with turning their noses up to public transportation. I lived in DC, NY, Seattle, Dallas, Newark and a few other cities and people aren't so car status crazy or turned off w/public transportation. Oh well. Every city is different I guess.
Why would you use public transportation if you have a vehicle?

And the physical size of L.A makes public transportation useless.. L.A is on a much larger land mass then N.Y..

I'm from Sydney, Australia and people also prefer cars, although more people use Public transport then here in L.A, but it just takes so long to get anywhere with public transport.. Not to mention you have to share it with other people, dirty etc.. Where as driving is much better, convienant and boosts your percieved status..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

And the physical size of L.A makes public transportation useless.. L.A is on a much larger land mass then N.Y..

I'm from Sydney, Australia and people also prefer cars, although more people use Public transport then here in L.A, but it just takes so long to get anywhere with public transport.. Not to mention you have to share it with other people, dirty etc.. Where as driving is much better, convienant and boosts your percieved status..
I rest my case!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I visited LA last year and was amazed how many were on the subway at night. Granted, this was just after a game at Staples field. But have to agree Angelinos don't think of their vehicle as just a transportation device. I bet many of those subway riders had luxury cars at home, but didn't want to deal with the traffic.

Last edited by pvande55; 12-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I bet many of those subway riders had luxury cars at home, but didn't want to deal with the traffic.
I wouldn't take that bet, personally.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I completely disagree. LA is tops with turning their noses up to public transportation. I lived in DC, NY, Seattle, Dallas, Newark and a few other cities and people aren't so car status crazy or turned off w/public transportation. Oh well. Every city is different I guess.
For me a car is a necessity but I agree that you are right; it is also a status thing. I have never taken public transportation and L.A and I never will. I like the gilded cage and privacy of my own car; don't want to sit next to weirdos or smelly people (I'm sure there is at least one smelly one on the bus).

Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 7,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
But have to agree Angelinos don't think of their vehicle as just a transportation device. I bet many of those subway riders had luxury cars at home, but didn't want to deal with the traffic.
Exactly. That's not uncommon in places like suburbs of NYC in LI/NJ/Westchester either. We can take NJ Transit/Metro North/LIRR to get to directly to MSG/Meadowlands while leaving the vehicles at home.

But that's the best thing about LA - if you're a car person. The place was designed specifically to be used with a car - every single establishment has a parking space.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIndustrie View Post
every single establishment has a parking space.
Parking is awful in LA. While almost everywhere has parking, available spots is another story.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 AM

35 posts, read 58,801 times
Traffic is insanely unhumane here. What's the point of having a nice ride to drive 3 mph?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM

45 posts, read 77,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

Driving is not always better, of course it depends on the available public transportation. To answer your question, if I live in Santa Monica and work in Downtown, and there's a train or subway between those places, there you have a reason of why I'd use public transportation even if I had a vehicle. Of course, right now I would't live in Santa Monica and work in Downtown, but you get my point.. it's a vicious circle I think.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
This state's residents have been addicted to imports for three decades, since they've always dominated the best-selling car lists out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles