Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times

Advertisements

Count me as another "outsider" who can't wait until I can move to LA. I'm not moving there because I can afford a big house. If I wanted that, I'd move to Kansas. Only problem is, I'd have to live in Kansas, which isn't something I want to do. For me at least, there are many more factors that go into determining where I want to live other than the size of the house I can afford. I think NYC is a great city but it's not for me. That doesn't mean I hold anything against the place. Same thing with DC/Baltimore, which is where I currently live. There are countless things that I absolutely hate about the Baltimore/DC area which is the reason that I'm looking to move. But at the same time, I don't think the people that love DC and Baltimore are "brainwashed locals". They just have different preferences and priorities than me.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Hehe! Well, I hope you end up loving it here too -- but you probably won't end up being a homeowner anytime soon. Houses are just too expensive! (But you can always save your money and hope to buy somewhere later, which is what a lot of people do.)

LA is definitely interesting simply because there are an amazing number of things to do around here -- and not just for people who love the beach or love snow skiing -- there is just a lot of things to see and do around here! Tons of museums! Lots of ethnic areas! Lots of shopping places! Lots of places to go on day trips! (Yeah, Big Bear would be one of them.) You can even go out and sit by the red carpet when they have the Academy Awards and see all those stars!

On the flip side, you'll probably meet a lot of people who don't speak English. Eventually, you'll learn a few words in other languages and you'll learn to smile and communicate. (I think this is one of the few areas in the country where you can learn Chinese or Korean and actually be able to practice it quite often with others who speak the languages natively.)

Anyway, all depending on how open you are, -- well, that will determine if you love or hate LA. There is a lot to love out here if you can maintain an open mind and a sense of humor.
Thank you! That is precisely WHY we are leaving the midwest, nobody has a sense of humor, all anyone talks about is work (not that thats bad but seriously thats all these people have going for them it seems) and there are too many racists. I am white so I am not targeted but the way the white people here treat other cultures is terribly wrong and I am tired of having to live in it and hear the things people say about anyone not white with a nascar shirt and a big truck. Of all the places we have visited L.A. had friendlier people than most other places, this is only my personal experience. And your right, theres tons of stuff to do! My wifes Grandpa (71) lived in Cali and moved here years ago. He misses California and he's the only one pushing us to go. He tells us we are young and should not live here (indiana) in all this bad weather and mean people. He's a cool dude, maybe we'll take him with us

Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 AM

89 posts, read 499,588 times
Oh OH, Caliguy2007! YOu can actually find The Land of Oz someplaces in Kansas that claim it. AND not only that, The Garden of Eden also is in Kansas. It's in Lucas, Kansas. Lucas is a very cool town that has a lot of outsider arts. It's one of the must-sees for anyone travelling through Kansas. I bet you thought The Garden of Eden was someplace far far away........ Nope, right in Kansas!

You may wonder why I'm here. I am from California. I miss a lot about it. Even if I wanted to move back though, there's no way I can due to the cost of living. But I visit.

Janet

[quote=Caliguy2007;1441458]If you don't like it in L.A,you should move out and let us know when you arrive in The Land of OZ or at The Garden of Eden

Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,337 times
I was born and raised in CA, have pulled through poverty into upper middle class..so i do know more than s**t. We pulled up stakes and moved to outside of Ithaca, NY, stunningly beautiful, liberal mindset, thriving underground music scene. We thrive here making 40% less than we did in CA, and we're more comfortable than we were in CA. We moved out for all the negative reasons everyone always states, and because we can open our own winery here in 5 years, as opposed to the 15-20 it would have taken us to save for a LOT smaller piece of land in CA. We hated the 250+ days of 90 degree weather, and the one season all throughout, and the 110+ days that were common in the summer. Most of us can't afford to live near the beach where its comfortable all year round...we have to live where the climate is less than desirable..miles and miles away from the beach..which takes away a lot of the draw in itself.

I come here and talk crap about CA because I can, and I do what I can to present the other side, that the Cali-blinded people often don't. And to remind people there are other places in the US that one can be happy in, without the grind that is CA. Without the constant competition of image, of whos got the biggest car, house and paycheck.

I'm not jealous of Californians in the slightest..I come to offer the other opinion. If I never set foot in CA again, i'd be the happiest man on earth. I can speak because I've seen it go from bad to worse, and because its my right to. As much as it is the Cali-lovers right to promote their state, it is my right, and the right of others to say why we hate it. And because i'm one of the few here that fit the bill of the people who defend california so religiously: Though born and raised in CA, I hate CA, and rather than just talk about it, actually moved out of state, where I'm happy elsewhere. If any person on the opposite side's opinion is worth anything its mine, and those similar to my experience.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
Most of us can't afford to live near the beach where its comfortable all year round...we have to live where the climate is less than desirable..miles and miles away from the beach..which takes away a lot of the draw in itself. . . Though born and raised in CA, I hate CA, and rather than just talk about it, actually moved out of state, where I'm happy elsewhere.
Thank you for the plainspeaking CBaillo and as always Marilyn220. Another lifelong resident here that will be voting with her feet the nano-second that my husband retires.

How many Los Angeles people died in our most recent heatwave?
It's another trade-off, relocators, no icy roads here, but weather that still can kill you if your electricity fails (as happened on our block in the 108 degree heat.) I mention this because "weather" is still the main draw for those thinking of moving here that aren't in the entertainment business, never mind that if they're not well-to-do, they'll be living in a dangerous gang area.

And because City-data.com does not allow copywritten material, let me describe the funniest recent "Dilbert" comic that might apply to L.A.'s vaunted multi-culturalism. An "Elbonian" (stereotype of turbanned, bearded to his waist, cloak-wearing, out-source, foreign co-worker) asks co-workers in Dilbert's company where the office microwave is while holding a dead skunk. Dilbert remarks that's it's getting harder and harder to be open-minded here...

Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You are probably right. Very troll like, out-of-nowhere post. It's weird how LA generates such emotional and resentful reactions from people who know little about the place and who have never even visited or laid eyes on it.
Hating L.A. is actually an L.A. tradition, and it goes back a long time.

If one reads Raymond Chandler's "The Little Sister", Chandler - putting his own views across via the thoughts of Philip Marlowe - goes off about how L.A. is going down the tubes due to too many newcomers with strange, foreign habits.

And that book was written in 1949.....

Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM

67 posts, read 206,945 times
Why such passionate hate for LA? Everything people have mentioned as being "undesirable" in LA has an equivalent in other metro areas. Let's see...

1. Violent Crime: Detroit, DC, Philly, parts of N.J., Baltimore, Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami... need I go on? The point is that as a large metropolitan, L.A.'s crime problem is typical of large cities and no worse than other similarly large cities. However, if you live in the suburbs of South Bay, Calabasas, LA Canada, etc. crime is not an issue.

2. Illegal immigrant issues:Atlanta, Houston, San Jose, Miami, etc. A very short list, but basically, any fast growing city in the U.S. will draw an influx of migrant construction workers who bring their family and friends and just stay there for the long haul.

3. Expensive housing: SoCal is No.1. No other city can compare, so we're stuck here.

4. Business opportunities: LA is the easiest place to start a business and make money, because of the diversity of people and resources, large population, and income of its residents. NYC is a close second, but costs more to start up a business there.

5. Diversity: NYC, Houston, S.F. (Miami and Atlanta are diverse but lacks variety)

Conclusion: People who hate L.A. would most likely hate all the other cities listed above, with the exception that they could afford to live in the other cities (except S.F. and NYC) while hating and would be homeless in L.A. and hating it.

Suggestions: L.A. haters, you can always live in Long Beach or O.C. Although its still expensive, much of the pollution and "craziness" you complain of are not present in O.C./Long Beach. As a matter of fact, you would be bored silly by O.C.'s family friendly conservative orientation. Irvine has some of the country's best public schools k-12, and the beaches down there are clean most of the year, and illegal aliens stay hidden from your view.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 122,515 times
Default as I mentioned, L.A. locals are super defensive

Many fail to get the picture. Just read the post above by CBaillo if you don't get it. L.A. is better than many places, but it's worse than many. Is L.A. a better place than Erie PA, hell YA! I've lived there as well. If you don't get it, then you are seriously brainwashed, and your hopeless. This message is for people looking to move there. It ain't like TV or the movies; do your research big time. Salaries aren't like NYC and the prices are. If your coming to L.A. without a triple figure salary, then you will not live like you did in many other cities. All housing and buildings were built between the 50's and 70's, and they have not been updated. Watch out renters, almost no rent control and crooked landlords are rampant, no fridge in most apartments, and there is a reason why apartments have parking in a caged underground and almost all apartments are gated with fences. This is not normal.

I am not a hater, I'm a realist. Many L.A. locals, such as on these boards hate to hear reality. It's friggin reality people, deal with it. L.A. is a better place to live than Detroit or many other cities, but it ain't no San Fran, NYC, Atlanta, or even a Miami.

Furthermore, since some L.A.ers are blind to my statements; on a weekend, Friday and Sunday, roads to Vegas are traffic jammed through the desert. And for taking the train to San Diego; you definitely never took the train system in NYC or Hong Kong if you make such a statement. If you did, you wouldn't make that argument. [mod cut; personal attack]

On your next trip to L.A., try this. Sit next to someone on a bench in a park or in the downtown (someone decent looking, not a bum) and start a conversation. It will be different, you'll see. You'll get a look of "why the hell are you talking to me, what is it that you want".

Last edited by SandyCo; 09-07-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM

1,072 posts, read 845,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I moved here believing that I could still work in the same field that I was in NYC (not entertainment). NYC has a huge entertainment industry as well, but you could still make money in a ton of other fields.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about when you say "brainwashed" locals. They haven't a clue as to what you're talking about, but we "outsiders" do see it. If you try to tell them how bizarre things here are they get mad at you for upsetting this fake world of happy delusion they've created.

Also, you'll be called a whiner, a hater, and "angry" person for spreading LIES (which are really "truths") about their "beautiful" "gang-ridden city.
OMGosh that is so true.
They growl and say "it you don't like it leave !!"
or the passive aggressive "just curious, you are so negative about the town I wonder why you moved here ?"

All because you try and tell these folks they do not have to take such lousy "service" from their city officials, PD etc... and make suggestions on how to clean things up a bit for a higher quality of life.

Think about it.
Some applicable generalities for the lower 90 percent of citizens here:
Life is so so so short.
There is no job loyalty to the employee any more.
Your home is not secure in this economy, either.
Your health is of no concern to anyone but your family. Can't pay, die.
Drive to work, risk your life.
Go to the post office, risk your life.
Children sitting in class, risk their lives.
...eat spinach, risk your life. on and on

I personally want ever single solitary second of my life on earth to count as the highest quality of living possible. Not $$$$. Peace.

Don't you ?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Your [sic] stupid and ignorant...
Troll or flamer?

You decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles