Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

It can also mean an insult, but you're right, I was wrong. Thanks.

Point is, the perception I had of LA was comical and I was only joking about it. I did think that there was a high crime rate though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM

129 posts, read 227,067 times
I'm just teasing I live in Austin but, I'm a native Californian lived in Northern/SoCal when folks found out I was from LA opinions/misconceptions flew all over the place and not always positive like it was in their DNA to hate on LA or California as a hole and this is the Blue city in the Red state of Tejas kinda weird..

Old 05-18-2012, 08:53 PM

People have this perception because all of the movies portray LA as either a wasteland of human misery or a shiny paradise that's unaffordable for the vast majority.

From Training Day to Melrose Place, it's either poor or rich, to in between.

The first thing people think about when someone says "I'm moving to LA", is "man, you're going to get stabbed".

They think either "wow, good luck affording it" or "please don't go, you'll get killed".

Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
hate on LA or California as a hole
Yeesh, that's harsh! Then again, if they don't like our hole, they don't need to come in.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 AM

Is riding the metro rail safe?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM

755 posts, read 675,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
This might seem like a ridiculous thread, but I assumed that LA was not that different from Houston in terms of aesthetics. Both are large metropolitan areas with a downtown in the middle and giant urban sprawl surrounding it. Both cities have lousy public transportation, gangs, and bougie scenes (River Oaks vs Beverly Hills).

The difference though seems to be that any Joe Shmoe can pull off looking good in Houston vs. LA. Here in TX we have a sub-culture called the 30k millionaire, where with a steady 30k a year job you could make that look like you're making 100k. I highly doubt that's possible in LA with rent being 1000 minimum.

I applied for a job in LA where if I get it, I would be working in Burbank and making 48k. Is this enough to survive in that neck of the woods? Would I just be eeking it out in LA?

Are the class differences that obvious in LA? Like is it in your face that if you're not making 200k, do not bother?

Point is, can you have a good young life at that salary? Or should I just remain in Houston because with a salary like 48k, I would be living large bachelor style.
Could not find an answer for you on the first page (not going to read eight pages). The answer is yes!! If you plan on renting, you can live "comfortably" without a problem.... If you want a home, that is a different story. Burbank is a quaint little place with good location to everything. I lived in NOHO (Magnolia and Cahuenga) for years.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 PM

I would love to live in NOHO as I will work in Burbank.

But is the metro safe to ride at all hours? I think I will mostly use the red line and the line to get to Santa Monica.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:53 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,218 times
Quote:
With 40k I can live a super well bachelor life in Houston. I was not expecting that in LA but I was still hoping to live comfortable until my pay goes up.
You're going to really have to cut back your lifestyle. There are websites that compare cost of living. Don't forget California has an income tax, much more expensive gas, etc.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
But is the metro safe to ride at all hours? I think I will mostly use the red line and the line to get to Santa Monica.
Why are you so scared? Still? You're old enough to have graduated from college, so you're not a kid any more. I just don't get why you seem to be so fixated on finding something to be scared of?

The Metrolink is fine. I've ridden it at 2AM, and it's just like any other big city, walk with a purposeful stride, watch your belongings, and be aware.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM

I've ridden the T in Boston, the Subway in NYC and L in Chicago (it's called the L right?) and all have their shady lines but for the most part are ok.

Look, there is a strong perception that I need to shake off and that's that LA is not the gangland warfare area that people think it is.

If you're saying that it's ok to ride the train at 2am (which I am glad that it's open still) then I believe you.

I'll be living in NOHO hopefully and am wondering if there is easy access to the Metrolink? I might also be living in Burbank and I doubt the Metro runs that far, does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles