Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

Fiance has a job offer of 42k a year. After taxes in Cali, what would be her take home pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Fiance has a job offer of 42k a year. After taxes in Cali, what would be her take home pay?
$27-29k

Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
$27-29k
Seriously?!!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Seriously?!!
2012 California Income Tax Calculator

This says if she files as a single person with one dependent she can expect to take home 35k. (sorry I actually filled it out with 42k in the calculator but that doesn't go through in the link - but you can do it and see for yourself).

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
2012 California Income Tax Calculator

This says if she files as a single person with one dependent she can expect to take home 35k. (sorry I actually filled it out with 42k in the calculator but that doesn't go through in the link - but you can do it and see for yourself).

That doesn't include SSI/Medicare or SDI.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That doesn't include SSI/Medicare or SDI.
Even then I doubt they would be paying 8k in SSI a year.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM

What about for married couples? We will got to the courthouse right now if it helps? LoL!

Also, I found a great place on 680 tujunga ave in Burbank. Anyone know if tujunga ave in Burbank is a nice area?

Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM

31 posts, read 40,310 times
Quote:
What about for married couples? We will got to the courthouse right now if it helps? LoL!

Also, I found a great place on 680 tujunga ave in Burbank. Anyone know if tujunga ave in Burbank is a nice area?

Looks pretty nice to me. As stated previously all of Burbank is generally a quiet, safe area. I looked at the area view with Mapquest 680 tujunga ave - Google Maps if you click on the photo, you can then drag and travel down streets all around that area.

Living in the heart of Los Angeles, this area would appeal to me. Streets are clean, appears to be quiet, i.e. no pedestrian traffic, and the residences in the neighborhood are very well maintained.

I'm actually exploring a relocation to Houston because I'm tired of California draining me dry. I make 42K as a State worker without a degree. I have no credit cards, just basic living expenses (rent, utilities, food for family of two, car payment, insurance, etc.) and I barely make it to the next monthly paycheck, which is why I went back to school after what I humorously call my 28 year semester break to complete my bachelors in a year, just so that I can make more money.

Yes... in California, the weather is nice, endless miles of things to do, great eateries, interesting culture, nice people, but the opportunity cost of owning a home in an environment that is family-friendly, in my opinion, far outweighs all of those things. My biggest gripe about California is that you have to give up so much of your paycheck in rent to pay someone's mortgage who oftentimes does not even reside in California. You'd be amazed at how many property owners who own rental property in California have ditched California for a better life-style in another State.

Call me stingy, but I'm tired of working to support high taxes and property owners' mortgages while I share a 1 bedroom apt with my 9-year old at the low, low Los Angeles price of $960.00 month. I'll take the heat of Texas in the comforts of my own home, under a cool air conditioner, and a nice cool slice of watermelon and frozen grapes. :-) My apologies for the long gripe, but with all the nice things about California, struggling with the high-cost of living has made me unhappy here for many years, and I've lived her all my life.

Last edited by Juelle; 05-27-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM

42K a year and you cannot make it? With rent being 960? I understand it might be because you're also raising a child and have a car payment, so that must eat up a lot of your money too.

My fiance will be making 42k a year, how much do you make after taxes?

If I lose my job and have to find a new one, can we both make it off 42k a year in Burbank? We found a nice place to live for 950. And we've been able to survive off living off 28k in Texas for almost a year when she couldn't find a job, so we're pretty frugal. Then again we lack a car payment.

How hard is it for someone with a bachelors degree from a good school to at least land a ten dollar an hour gig if push comes to shove? The horror stories I hear about LA unemployment I am picturing Harvard grads working at Quiznos. Is it that bad?

Texas is truly an amazing state for big city living at a low cost of living. I think our most expensive city is Austin, which will remind you a bit of Southern Cali. Here in TX, the pay is low but so are the taxes. The living is great, relaxed and slow paced. It's great for raising a family.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll be glad to answer them for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles