Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,025,477 times

Advertisements

I'm an LA native, and I admit that I think about the gym more than I probably should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I'm an LA native, and I admit that I think about the gym more than I probably should.
Due to the fact that lots of people are half-naked, and you don't want to be the dude who's embarassed to take off his shirt in public and show off the boiler and manboobs.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post

I am from the east coast and never had as much trouble meeting women as I have out here. If a guy is just a little bit overweight, he is immediately classified as undesirable no matter what he has to offer as a human being and that is what sucks. Women in LA keep going after pretty-boy simpletons and wonder why they can't find someone to make a real connection with?

Once again, an observation. I do okay in general, but I've never seen such a vapid and disconnected from reality population of human beings in my life.

Talk about using extremes to make your case. Are there only two kinds of men in LA -- the vapid pretty boys and the slightly overweight East Coast "intellectuals"?

Given LA's climate and focus on active/healthy living, why not work on yourself and be the only intellectual pretty boy in LA?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM

50 posts, read 58,820 times
I agree with the OP and disagree with some of the generalizations on this thread. They are mind numbing. LA is not much different than NY as far as dating is concerned. And of course being physically attractive always helps. In this regard woman have it far worse because they tend to be solely judges on their physical attractiveness. By the way, attractiveness, intelligence and other virtues are certainly not mutually exclusive. Some of the kindest warmest most down to earth people I've met have been also quite physically beautiful as well.

Meeting women is easy, all it requires is a bit of confidence, a touch of humor and most importantly, being comfortable with yourself.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 16,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Of course not, the woman in the picture does not represent most bigger women, or most women at all. You're using an extreme case to justify making superficial judgements on people
I would never date someone overweight, even if she was only slightly overweight, simply because of what that implies. I couldn't live with someone who eats junk food and rarely works out, if at all. That would sicken me. I wouldn't want our future children to be sub-optimally developed just because their mother wasn't living a responsible lifestyle. Studies show that the cells start to gather information about the outside world even before conception, and the fetus' development is altered depending on the outside circumstances and obviously the nourishment it gets from the mother. By eating non-organic food, too much sugar and salt, you are damaging your child. Whether noticeable or not, your child will be sub-optimally developed, EVEN if you start eating healthy food during the pregnancy.

By living an unhealthy lifestyle, you are automatically degenerating your own gene pool. Your children will look worse than their potential and they will not function as good as their potential.

Quote:
You also have no idea what I look like. I am not some 4-chinned schlub who sits around eating corn chips while playing video games. I am a bigger guy, but I dress stylishly, am well-educated and making a decent living.
Good for you.

Quote:
I am from the east coast and never had as much trouble meeting women as I have out here. If a guy is just a little bit overweight, he is immediately classified as undesirable no matter what he has to offer as a human being and that is what sucks. Women in LA keep going after pretty-boy simpletons and wonder why they can't find someone to make a real connection with?
Well, there are really only three things you can do about this.

1. Adapt to the situation and start to work out more than you currently do. Eat healthier. By doing so, you will not only have an easier time attracting a mate, but you will also improve your general health and increase your lifespan in the process.

2. Continue to whine about it (yes, your posts come across as bitter) for the rest of your life, while doing nothing to adapt yourself to it.

3. Move away in search of greener pastures.

Yes, it sucks that this is the way things are. Truly. But there's not much you or anyone else can do about it, except trying to be the best you that you can be. Trust me, women have it A LOT worse than us men when it comes to this.

Last edited by fictional; 05-26-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 AM

47 posts, read 67,608 times
Knew this would somehow involve hot ethnic girls....

lol.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictional View Post
I would never date someone overweight, even if she was only slightly overweight, simply because of what that implies. I couldn't live with someone who eats junk food and rarely works out, if at all. That would sicken me. I wouldn't want our future children to be sub-optimally developed just because their mother wasn't living a responsible lifestyle. Studies show that the cells start to gather information about the outside world even before conception, and the fetus' development is altered depending on the outside circumstances and obviously the nourishment it gets from the mother. By eating non-organic food, too much sugar and salt, you are damaging your child. Whether noticeable or not, your child will be sub-optimally developed, EVEN if you start eating healthy food during the pregnancy.

By living an unhealthy lifestyle, you are automatically degenerating your own gene pool. Your children will look worse than their potential and they will not function as good as their potential.
Wow, ain't you the life of the party? Hyperbaric chamber much?
You don't really go around telling everybody how they're creating "sub-optimally developed" children, do you? hsw, that you?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 AM

9 posts, read 16,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Wow, ain't you the life of the party? Hyperbaric chamber much?
You don't really go around telling everybody how they're creating "sub-optimally developed" children, do you? hsw, that you?
Of course I don't. But it's the truth, and since he decided to go with the "a LITTLE overweight shouldn't be a big deal"-approach, I decided to explain to him why it is indeed a big deal, for some people. Not only from a lifestyle-point of view, but for those very reasons I mentioned.

I'm not some absolute health freak who would burst out crying if i got one bit of chocolate in my mouth by mistake. However, I wouldn't ever mismanage my body to a noticeable degree because of the reasons i stated before, including many others. It DOES have horrific effects on your body and that's just the way it is. There's no going around that, sadly. Also, it's not like it's hard to change eating habits, neither is it a challenge to start working out. Being overweight says a lot about the person in question, in my experience.

I didn't mean to be rude to anyone. I was merely providing scientific research as a way to strengthen my argument. Scientific research shouldn't ever be viewed as a personal attack. If anything, it should be viewed as yet another motivator to change.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM

64 posts, read 136,053 times
Today, as a 46 year old man living in South Florida, and having resided in Los Angeles for a lot of the 1990s, I was, and still am attractive, no kids, very confident, hard working and active. But today I am retired living off a viable passive income from wise investing. However, my days in SoCal, I was high & dry ( very poor ), almost living in my used VW Rabbit and I could not get a date to save my life. I tried, boy did I try .… I flirted and approached, my guess over 300 single woman from 1989 - 1996 and I was able to land only one semi-serious relationship, and she had 3 kids, and 6 years older than I working at Pavilians as a Cashier Checker. I was a struggling young man with little resources and no support except from my dear Mother.

Bottom line: Women were not interested in me because I was not financially viable.

That said, having dated American women since I was 18 - since 1984, Now, with the means I have today, I began traveling abroad. Wow!!! I went down to Brazil, Costa Rica, Colombia, Dominican Republic, etc … Women are much more open, much more attractive and feminine than anything I ever had in the good ol USA. And these woman are very poor, and still very happy. Family is first and they value their man. They value hard working good honest men - Good Guys! Well, my American gal friends would argue women outside the US just want a green card or a visa or think we are all cash Cows, ok … so what!!! What are those women in LA want … ? Money !!!

To all you single hard working average American men: Get out of America. Travel abroad: SE Asia or eastern Europe, even Australia !!!! Women in these countries are much more courteous, way more beautiful and approachable. Today, American women have it good, even the ugly/obese ones. Because there's always some Moderator cut: explicit waiting in the wings to date/take your Gal no matter how ugly, obese or dominating she is. Because it's called Desperation - A feeling of Loneliness. Because our messed up culture has turned good, hard working, viable and honest American men in to wussies.

American women outside the US are viewed as …

- Bossy
- Obese / Fat
- Money is their only concern, then the kids ( Husband is last after Rex, the Dog )
- Not feminine … Look at how women dress today. Old wrinkled men's T-shirt, old sweat pants, dirty loafers, hair tied up in knot - to lazy to make her hair nice and minimal to no make up ( even if she is ugly ).
- Lesbians ( US has largest lesbians per capita than any other country in the world )
- Bad Odds For Single Men: 3 males for every 2 females - US Only

Finally, most intelligent women know what I am posting about here but they’ll never admit it because it's unwritten code among them that they have the power, especially in the US. And to those women reading this and silently they are saying to themselves: " This jerk needs to shut up and go away !!! "

I am not angry, just highly passionate about what I believe is the truth. I love America. I love being an American. I'm just a little sad to see what's been happening to my country the last 10 years or so ... The way people behave: Women and men.

My Advice To Single Hard Working Honest American Men: Don’t waste your time in America. Make that money, get a second job, deliver pizzas … Then travel abroad and fly like an Eagle.

Peace

Last edited by Count David; 05-30-2012 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: language

Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Chester Foster I have to say that you are 100% correct. I am an attractive late twenties athletic guy of Greek decent. It was always hard for me to land a date in the States. It wasn't hard for me as in, I could never get one, but that it was always extra work in proving myself worthy. What I mean by that is the dating scene is about showing off as much as you can to make yourself more appealing to the opposite sex. Sometimes it just feels like too much.

I've met women from Poland, the Netherlands and Argentina. They're way more approachable than American women. When I traveled to Chile not too long ago, I felt like Brad Pitt and had fun with several women who were not worried about money. I tried to impress a Colombian beauty as though she were an American woman and she laughed and told me to relax, and I had the best time I've ever had with a woman. It was wonderful.

I just do not get what a lot of American women want these days. A lot of them are extremely picky in all the wrong ways. I am sorry to say but even overweight women think they're J-Lo these days and want a Ricky Martin or bust.

Just to reiterate so I won't be lambasted in here, I have gotten plenty of dates, there is nothing wrong with me. The point is that the dating scene can be nerve wracking, exhausting, costly and too much work. I prefer the international women because they care more about having fun, hate showing off in a flashy manner, and are way more down to Earth.

I also second that Australian women are some of the best in the world to date, hands down. They are amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles