Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,555,976 times

Advertisements

Why is Glendale "conservative"? I think it may be conservative in the social sense, but not in the fiscal sense. It is represented by Democrats at almost all levels of government. However, it is home to large Armenian, Persian and Fillipino populations and they tend to be strict in their Catholicism. This translates to a bunch of registered Democrats who hold conservative Catholic views on gay rights and abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 AM

49 posts, read 159,859 times
Oh Lord, im already hearing "Nazi" and "WTF are you talking about." What is this, the Huffington Post? Can we please keep it civil? We can agree to disagree and be respectful of each other. There is absolutely no need to bring up Nazi in the conversation. I tell you this country is going down with all this bickering.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,980,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gdd View Post
Oh Lord, im already hearing "Nazi" and "WTF are you talking about." What is this, the Huffington Post? Can we please keep it civil? We can agree to disagree and be respectful of each other. There is absolutely no need to bring up Nazi in the conversation. I tell you this country is going down with all this bickering.
I didn't call anybody a Nazi. I merely stated the fact that Glendale was the west coast HQ's of the American Nazi party (from the 1960's to the 1980's).

Glendale/Pasadena/Burbank were traditionally more conservative towns (politically, culturally, etc) than the City of LA. I am thinking here of say the 1960's through the 1980's. And I am talking conservative within the context of urban LA County....so it is relative.

Finally, the city often promotes itself as one of the most business friendly in LA County.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,127,153 times
IDK, I'm just lucky that I'm still in L.A.

If the border of glendale stretched half a mile more east, I'd be in Glendale.

I know there is alot of cool Armenians but damn, they seem like very angry people most of the time. Atleast the elders.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,316,474 times
There aren't that many Persians or filipinos in glendale, and persians are virtually never catholic.

It's the armenian thing, and glendale also has a lot of white middle class families

Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,702,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

I know there is alot of cool Armenians but damn, they seem like very angry people most of the time. Atleast the elders.
Why are they so angry?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Is it because it has a big Armenian population (they are very closed minded) ? is it because of other races ? what is it ? what makes Glendale to be so conservative ?m
Close minded and conservative are not the same thing. Glendale has always been on the conservative side, just like the many of the beach location lean liberal. Glendale has always had good schools, has always been family oriented and very middle class. If this is what you call conservative than I would say, it is a carry over from years past.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
one more thing: OP can you explain why you think Glendale is so conservative, what do you call conservative?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,337,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
one more thing: OP can you explain why you think Glendale is so conservative, what do you call conservative?
white, god fearing, no diversity, and no fun. At least that's what I think of when I think of a Conservative town.

Oklahoma city is heavily Republican but it's really boring, hot, humid, has too many tornadoes, not much racial or cultural diversity.

Maybe cost of living is cheaper in these red places because nobody wants to live there. other than going out to the local lake or hunting, what exactly is there to do in Oklahoma or kansas? During the summer, it is too hot and humid to be outside and in the winter it is too cold to be outside. .

Oklahoma, Kansas, and other Conservative towns/states might be nice for you but I like a lot of diversity, not just white people and hunting.

By the way, I am white, but that is just not what I would call exciting.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM

418 posts, read 1,736,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

But why is that lucky? You'd still be in the same general area, but you'd have Glendale services -- schools, police, public works, etc. -- which by most accounts are much more effective than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles