Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:39 AM

83 posts, read 221,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Come on...just say it...you mean Asians right?
No, and that's not a nice thing to say. Why is it you people make comments like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brunolesci View Post
No, and that's not a nice thing to say. Why is it you people make comments like that?
I agree with this comment. The truth is that there are plenty of bad drivers in L.A. from every economic class, age group, or ethnicity to go around, so there really is no need to stereotype. There are also a lot of good drivers around L.A. that prevent many more accidents than are caused.

While thinking about this thread, I thought of another thing that really bothers me that I see on the freeway very frequently, often several times a day. That thing is drivers who are going faster than you in the lane next to you who slow down to your speed when they catch up to you. I've had people driving at least 10 MPH faster than me who come up from behind, slow down to my speed when they get next to me, then they just stay there. My philosophy is that if you want to go the same speed as the car next to you, get in the same lane, so someone else can use the lane you're in. We don't need to have two lanes being blocked by people going at the same speed when only one lane needs to be. It annoys me even more when I'm behind one of the people that does this, while they are occupying the #1 lane, and they usually pick the slowest car around to drive next to.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silogram View Post
One thing I've been wondering about...Why do LA drivers make such wide
right turns? I've only seen this here in LA, not as much anywhere else.

What I mean is, when you are behind a car and it is going to turn right, even if there is a right turn lane, the car always makes the widest turn possible so that you have to either stop or slow down. Its so dangerous and annoying. Why do these LA drivers do this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.

I would say some people swing wide to avoid clipping and jumping off the handicap apron at the corner. Others swing wide in an attempt to take the turn faster and reduce body roll. most though probably dont know where their tires are rolling and are avoiding the curb.

another incident.

I saw a huge older/denali on the 405 North. Denali was in the far left lane stradlling the line and fading back and forth into the other lane, about a tire width, all while a chp motorcycle was attempting to split lanes. The look that the chp officer gave that driver was classic.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 PM

83 posts, read 221,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
While thinking about this thread, I thought of another thing that really bothers me that I see on the freeway very frequently, often several times a day. That thing is drivers who are going faster than you in the lane next to you who slow down to your speed when they catch up to you. I've had people driving at least 10 MPH faster than me who come up from behind, slow down to my speed when they get next to me, then they just stay there. My philosophy is that if you want to go the same speed as the car next to you, get in the same lane, so someone else can use the lane you're in. We don't need to have two lanes being blocked by people going at the same speed when only one lane needs to be. It annoys me even more when I'm behind one of the people that does this, while they are occupying the #1 lane, and they usually pick the slowest car around to drive next to.
I hate it when I move to the fast lane on the freeway to pass somebody, and then the car I intended to pass accelerates to my speed, blocking me in. Even better when a fast car pulls up behind me and begins tailgating me, thinking I'm the one who's somehow to blame for the bottleneck. Once I accelerated to a speeed much faster than I wanted to drive, moved back over to the #2 lane, and had the car I passed flash its lights at me.

Los Angeles driving...

Old 10-05-2007, 04:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,969 times
I hate it when people cut you off without using a turn signal... if you're going to cut me off, at least let me know!!! Happened to me 3 times on the way to work today... made me so angry!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 23,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I hate it when people cut you off without using a turn signal... if you're going to cut me off, at least let me know!!! Happened to me 3 times on the way to work today... made me so angry!
Drive faster, dont leave a huge gap, then people wont cut you off.
Anyway, the car you are driving also related..
I wont cut infront of a M3, unless its going really slow.. while I will cut a camry/corolla...

Im tired...
Why does people go onto the freeway when they are driving 50-60mph....
And please.. the fast lane keep going 80mph..
Dont block the way when you are driving 70mph.. and leaving a huge gap infront of you.. while the second lane is full of cars that people behind you cant get pass you...
Anyway.. I think those who doesnt know the rule of driving wont come to the forum.... they are just retarded...

Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 AM

44 posts, read 35,713 times
Quote:
Why do LA drivers make such wide right turns?
Because it requires too much consideration for others to make turns less wide.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brunolesci View Post
I hate it when I move to the fast lane on the freeway to pass somebody, and then the car I intended to pass accelerates to my speed, blocking me in. Even better when a fast car pulls up behind me and begins tailgating me, thinking I'm the one who's somehow to blame for the bottleneck. Once I accelerated to a speeed much faster than I wanted to drive, moved back over to the #2 lane, and had the car I passed flash its lights at me.

Los Angeles driving...
I run into the same problem once in awhile. Would love to question the mentality on it. I suspect there would be a lack of it though.

You know the old saying...
"Anyone driving faster than me is an A-hole and Anyone going slower is an idiot." George Carlin.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Come on...just say it...you mean Asians right?

And about the Bar Mitzvah thing, why does it have to be only Jewish people? You're saying that only people like me and my family talk on our cell phones? LOL. There's PLENTY of other people that do that too my friend.

Sounds like you can throw a jab but not take one.

Some great drivers I know are asian.

I was behind someone on the freeway once and she would use gas then brake, gas, brake, gas, brake. In such procession that the car was see-sawing. Nobody in front of her or behind. All she needed was a few days of coaching. My relative drives in similar, but not as extreme fashion. She learned this improper technique from her brother inlaw.

Poor driving habits are across the board not based on ethnicity or gender.

Depending on what part of town you go you will see "the best of the best" in different nationalities.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 PM

38,904 posts, read 22,900,003 times
After reading this entire thread, I think you all should go to the following thread in the Automotive forum:

Most Annoying Driving Habits

You can go there and post your gripes and read everyone else's across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles