Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Ehh . . . . its actually a bit more complicated than that.

The San Fernando and San Gabriel Valley (and the IE even more so) are hot in the summer specifically because well, they're valleys sandwiched in between mountains/ranges of hills, that prevent the ocean breezes from coming in.

Central LA, while too far inland to be truly cool in the summer, is not COMPLETELY blocked by ocean breezes, and therefore is not the oven the valleys are.

Case in point, Woodland Hills is typically one of the hottest spots in greater LA in the summer, even for the valley. However its closer to the coast/beach than central LA (downtown/Hollywood, etc).

Elevation also plays a role too. The Antelope Valley/high desert is in the 2000s feet above sea level, and therefore is a touch cooler than than the IE. It also normally gets some light dustings in the winter.

I'm a climate region nerd.
So then you'll know when I ask what areas you consider to be Csa, BSk, BWk, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
So then you'll know when I ask what areas you consider to be Csa, BSk, BWk, etc.
Yes. I teach that stuff.

Csa: Mediterranean
BSk: Cold semiarid
BWk: Cold desert

Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Once upon a time, WLA was the best place to live in SoCal. We used to have a saying, "There is no life east of Sepulveda". Those halcyon days are long gone (since the end of the 60's). Now, the whole Southland is one big cesspool.
So, you've been bitter for half a century? Maybe it's time to adapt.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 AM

507 posts, read 807,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So, you've been bitter for half a century? Maybe it's time to adapt.
Or move on to greener pastures

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
During late spring and throughout our longer than average summer, regardless of when the seasons actually begin, Pasadena is routinely 5-10 or more degrees hotter than the downtown LA/USC campus, where the official NWS weather station has been since 1999.

Pasadena, the rest of the SGV and all of the IE out to the Corona/Riverside/San Bernardino areas all cool off a lot a night, but that's not always the case in downtown LA.

And yes, it's a dry heat as opposed to what you'd experience anywhere from Texas eastward during the late spring and all of summer.

The west side is full of the city's power brokers, or movers and shakers if you will.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Once upon a time, WLA was the best place to live in SoCal. We used to have a saying, "There is no life east of Sepulveda". Those halcyon days are long gone (since the end of the 60's). Now, the whole Southland is one big cesspool.
Sounds like exclusivism and snobbery to me. It's one thing to like one area over others; quite another to declare that anybody past a certain street is not human. Ditto for an entire metro area, WHICH MANY OF US HAPPEN TO INHABIT.

So the question is, are you still in this "cesspool"? If so, are you the paper, the poop, the wee-wee or some other item?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Ehh . . . . its actually a bit more complicated than that.

The San Fernando and San Gabriel Valley (and the IE even more so) are hot in the summer specifically because well, they're valleys sandwiched in between mountains/ranges of hills, that prevent the ocean breezes from coming in.

Central LA, while too far inland to be truly cool in the summer, is not COMPLETELY blocked by ocean breezes, and therefore is not the oven the valleys are.

Case in point, Woodland Hills is typically one of the hottest spots in greater LA in the summer, even for the valley. However its closer to the coast/beach than central LA (downtown/Hollywood, etc).

Elevation also plays a role too. The Antelope Valley/high desert is in the 2000s feet above sea level, and therefore is a touch cooler than than the IE. It also normally gets some light dustings in the winter.

I'm a climate region nerd.
haha, yes you are, he did say pretty much though. But you are spot on with this stuff.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
I am guessing that West LA is Lower Manhattan and the rest of LA is a mash up of the rest of the Borroughs?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I am guessing that West LA is Lower Manhattan and the rest of LA is a mash up of the rest of the Borroughs?
not really. while the westside is generally expensive and wealthy, the same can be said for neighborhoods all over the city (los feliz, studio city, sherman oaks, hancock park, etc.). compared to these other places, the westside isn't all that different, it's just closer to the ocean. to me there's really not much of a difference between montana and larchmont or abbot kinney and sunset junction besides beach proximity.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
NYC and LA comparisons never make sense. I don't see how the Westside is Lower Manhattan. If anything (and this is a weak comparison), the Westside north of Santa Monica is sort of LA's Lower East Side. Not that they look anything alike though as one is high-rises and the other is mostly low-density mansions with the exception of Westwood Village. Century City can be our watered-down version of Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles