Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I know, but I think Tupac was more from a gangster era. It was a time when L.A. was never really seen as a true world class city. More of some smoggy ghetto suburb. Never in the scale that NY has..
LA has probably been seen as a world-class city since the 70's and maybe even before then. Sure, as a kid, I'd see crips and bloods and think man LA is crazy but more than that I saw the Coke Commercials showing beautiful people and great weather, or the tv shows (Saved by the Bell, California dreaming and etc.,) and the countless movies that made me think LA was the place to be. More so than NYC, shoot, SF and other cities weren't even on the map. When you thought about leaving dodge you thought of two cities, either LA or NYC. I'm generalizing here, but I mean cities where people went to make it big time. But I know what you mean, still, Tupac's "Live and Die in LA" helped me want to move out here. To digress, I prefer east coast rap to West coast rap, all day. Don't really like southern rap at all with the exception of TI and some old Outkast.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I get the feeling that is why the poster above was met with such hostility - belligerence breeds more belligerence.

I also think about the fact that most people don't carry money around much must really hurt the begging "business" (as crude as it is to call it that) - probably about 75% of the time I am not carrying a single penny on me, and about 10 percent of that time it is too large of a bill to give away.
I was thinking the same thing...

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yes, when BLACK AND PR NEW YORKERS say "New York" we say it "normally".

The people who say "New Yawk" are ethnic whites of irish, italian, polish, russian, jewish descent who can trace their lineage back to Ellis Island.

Jeez, man, stop crying and go travel to the city and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
I was just there in July. My best friends sister's husband is from NYC and he says "New Yawk".

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I was just there in July. My best friends sister's husband is from NYC and he says "New Yawk".
Okay. Maybe cause you're an outsider, it might sound the same to YOU, but to "us", it sounds different.

I was told I had a New York accent in LA, but I was always told I sound "white" with no detectable accent of any kind growing up in NYC. When I hear Jay and Alicia say New York it's very different from the way Robert Dinero and Joe Pesci would.

You get what I'm trying to say? It's hard to type it up properly.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
LA has probably been seen as a world-class city since the 70's and maybe even before then. Sure, as a kid, I'd see crips and bloods and think man LA is crazy but more than that I saw the Coke Commercials showing beautiful people and great weather, or the tv shows (Saved by the Bell, California dreaming and etc.,) and the countless movies that made me think LA was the place to be. More so than NYC, shoot, SF and other cities weren't even on the map. When you thought about leaving dodge you thought of two cities, either LA or NYC. I'm generalizing here, but I mean cities where people went to make it big time. But I know what you mean, still, Tupac's "Live and Die in LA" helped me want to move out here. To digress, I prefer east coast rap to West coast rap, all day. Don't really like southern rap at all with the exception of TI and some old Outkast.
Looking back it never seemed like that. Looking at it now, it feels like the city has matured somewhat. Seeing the vid posted earlier showing LA from the 70s, didn't really look like much. Looking at it now, glad to say that we are witnessing L.A. grow into itself.

I never really saw the whole actor beach going vibe as impressive, what impresses me is that from the outside, L.A. doesn't look like much of a city. But when your in it, you can feel it around you. You see DTLA and think "damn, that's small". But when your in it, you realize how big it feels, and not because the sky scrapers but the old buildings that line it up.

Then Hollywood blvd and it's vibrancy is pretty impressive. Despite being just a strip. I see new construction everywhere I go. Old strip mall spots being torn down and replaced with better looking structures that actually come up to the sidewalk.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM

215 posts, read 771,784 times
Quote:
I'm not negating your experiences, but how long ago did you live there?

I never experienced aggressive panhandling like that and none of them were well-dressed either.

This sounds like something I heard about in San Francisco's Tenderloin district.
I moved away 2.5 years ago.

Most of the begging was not aggressive because most people I saw dug into their pockets to give them money as fast as they could.

What surprised me the most was how stunned people were to hear the word, "No." One well dressed (and by that I mean clean cut, clean new clothes) guy asked me to give him money for the bus. I said, "No." Then he asked to use my cell phone. I said, "No." He then held out his hand, looking down at them in amazement and said, "I don't believe this! Two no's in one night!"

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Do you really want to compare QOL between NYC and LA? LA is no bargain, but its noticeably less expensive. There's a NYer posting here who says he pays $2200 a month for a studio. A STU-DI-O. Then you have all the issues with the trash, the rodents, the horrible weather, and a subway system that apparently also serves as a trash recepticale. Los Angeles can be tough, but no city gives you less bang for your buck than New York, no offense.
You obviously have never been to NYC.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I've never seen someone be aggressive when asking for money here, and I walk around a lot and see a lot of people begging. Everyone I have ever come in contact with (I'd say I have 3-5 experiences with begging a day) has accepted that I don't have anything to give them or they ignore me, or they are actually very friendly and say "have a nice day".
We have been hounded by extremely aggressive panhandlers around Staples Center. We have had them follow us for blocks and didn't leave us alone until we threatened to call the police.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
And THIS lies the problem.

LA (or Southern California culture) dictates that you work the SAME JOB from birth til death. I'm sure some people "move up" (maybe?), but they won't leave their positions. I met one guy at a law firm I temped at who left the law firm for another one, didn't like it, and the old firm took him back with no problem. It's very, very difficult to break into a good company, unless you have an "in".

The east coast way of life is different from the west coast (or shall I say Southern California way of living).

I know for a fact that if I was born and raised in LA, I'd probably still be working the same job I had since high school or some union gig. This would be considered an "acceptable" way of life there.
That is a generalization that simply doesn't hold water.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
We have been hounded by extremely aggressive panhandlers around Staples Center. We have had them follow us for blocks and didn't leave us alone until we threatened to call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles