Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,108 times

Advertisements

My friend and I have been more than interested in moving to California, more specifically SoCal. We are aware of the vastly different lifestyle over there than here, but we would like to learn more.

We would like to know what a good location would be for 21/22 year olds. We have decided that anywhere between LA and San Diego would be ideal for us, we have been searching around the Oceanside area.

We want to be within a 10-15 minute drive to the beach, but we don't mind driving up to an hour for work.

Any and all information is more than appreciated! We just want to be in SoCal and know we'll enjoy ourselves no matter where we end up, we'd just like to find a nice area to live in!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
You have not listed your job locations, apartment size, or price requirement.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

465 posts, read 872,666 times
You need to narrow it down. You're talking about advice for entire SoCal near the ocean. That's a very broad area.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 5,108 times
We do not have jobs yet, I have a bachelor's in Public Health and my friend is finishing esthetician schooling in May/June.

We wouldn't mind sharing a bedroom, so a 1 BR apartment would work for us for starters. I have been broad in my location because we aren't certain what are good areas, expensive, dangerous, etc. We just know we would like less than a 20 minute drive to the beach, a decent night life for people in their 20's, and rent under $1400.

I have been in contact with friends and family who moved to California and have found that our best chances of obtaining a job out there is to just move, we just don't know a financially good location for the recently graduated.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyylee View Post
We do not have jobs yet, I have a bachelor's in Public Health and my friend is finishing esthetician schooling in May/June.

We wouldn't mind sharing a bedroom, so a 1 BR apartment would work for us for starters. I have been broad in my location because we aren't certain what are good areas, expensive, dangerous, etc. We just know we would like less than a 20 minute drive to the beach, a decent night life for people in their 20's, and rent under $1400.

I have been in contact with friends and family who moved to California and have found that our best chances of obtaining a job out there is to just move, we just don't know a financially good location for the recently graduated.
Where are you moving from? I'd move to either SD or LA. Oceanside, OC and all that can be boring, depending on where you're moving from. LA is where I'm living now, at your age, you can have a blast. Just know you're moving to one of the most expensive places in the country. SD has some beautiful beaches and is a slightly chiller (and more beautiful) version of LA.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM

10 posts, read 16,277 times
I can tell you from my own experience from the southern most tip of SoCal to northern LA is too broad to narrow down.

I've lived here in SD for 3 years off the expense of the military. I had my fair share of traveling up and down socal and blowing my money to see as much as I could, you know, YOLO, being young wild and free.

Oceanside is home to the biggest and major base for the United States Marine Corps. This place is great for surfers, but you'll run into a lot of Marines both that are on active duty and retired. There's definitely a conservative feel in part of the large military presence in certain areas.

So you're looking forward to a 20 minute drive to the beach, you're on a $1400 budget on an apartment, and want a decent night life? Hmm... well if you're all grown up, you gotta focus on where your job is going to be at first to be honest. Then we can go from there.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM

171 posts, read 530,646 times
Long Beach

Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Hoe much are you making? This area aint cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles