Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times

Advertisements

With 10% unemployment in L.A it makes you wonder when people say things like :

"Well of course I have to live in L.A..this is where the work is/where the jobs are"

It's like you want to ask them...have you seen how BAD unemployment is?

Combined with high housing costs,etc doesn't seem like a smart place to be if you are looking for work...

Seems to make as much sense as "I know I won't be able to buy a home in L.A...but jobs pay SOOO much more here"..

"I will just continue to rent for decades and invest all my "savings" "

I wonder how many people that didn't buy a house in the late 90s actually made over 1200% returns from then till now. Which is about what your return would be on a downpayment on a 300k house in West LA back then..that's not including what the mortgage paydown would be?

Imagine the return with an FHA loan back then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

23,558 posts, read 24,064,911 times
LA has really changed a lot. I moved there from the Bay Area, in the 80's, to attend UCLA, and when I graduated, professional jobs were pretty plentiful. I interviewed with a firm and got my first professional job there. It was not uncommon for college graduates during those years, from public universities, to walk away with 2-3 offers, from professional firms. Jobs were much easier to find, back then.

I have heard, but have not verified, that the business climate in LA City is really "anti-business"/"business unfriendly", which causes firms to leave. Any truth to this? Any other comments on the unemployment situation?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
LA has really changed a lot. I moved there from the Bay Area, in the 80's, to attend UCLA, and when I graduated, professional jobs were pretty plentiful. I interviewed with a firm and got my first professional job there. It was not uncommon for college graduates during those years, from public universities, to walk away with 2-3 offers, from professional firms. Jobs were much easier to find, back then.

I have heard, but have not verified, that the business climate in LA City is really "anti-business"/"business unfriendly", which causes firms to leave. Any truth to this? Any other comments on the unemployment situation?
As all of you know I am as lefty as they come, but I have to say that LA is a sea of red tape. My god the nerve of this city to burden small businesses with all this insane red tape. It's not even sensible regulation it's just corruption and bloated bureaucracy.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I think those are people who just filed for unemployment. I think the number of unemployed is a bit higher than 10%.
How the Government Measures Unemployment

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM

CA in general seems to be rated pretty low as a state for places to do business. That could place a big role in it.

CALIFORNIA was ranked #48 out of 50 on this list of most/least business friendly states

The Most (And Least) Business Friendly States - Forbes

I am sure this plays a big role in unemployment.

A lot of people like to make fun of Texas ...but they have 6.4% unemployment.. and #9 on that list..

If you are looking for work it seems like it makes sense to move to one of those states.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,920,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With 10% unemployment in L.A it makes you wonder when people say things like :

"Well of course I have to live in L.A..this is where the work is/where the jobs are"

It's like you want to ask them...have you seen how BAD unemployment is?

Combined with high housing costs,etc doesn't seem like a smart place to be if you are looking for work...

Seems to make as much sense as "I know I won't be able to buy a home in L.A...but jobs pay SOOO much more here"..

"I will just continue to rent for decades and invest all my "savings" "

I wonder how many people that didn't buy a house in the late 90s actually made over 1200% returns from then till now. Which is about what your return would be on a downpayment on a 300k house in West LA back then..that's not including what the mortgage paydown would be?

Imagine the return with an FHA loan back then!
That's because 90% of people here are employed.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 PM

Right but it's strange people would think they can't get a job somewhere else .. Especially if they are doing a min wage type of job .

Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 PM

374 posts, read 722,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
That's because 90% of people here are employed.
aka you do not understand how employment statistics work.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,141 times
There are some footnotes that come with that number, I feel. As an example, a former roommate of mine worked in the entertainment industry doing grip work and later pulling focus in the camera dept. He had steady work, would be on location for 4-5 months at a time when he started getting bigger feature film work. He would also have 2-3 month stints where nothing was going on. When he didn't have anything lined up he'd immediately file for unemployment. From what he told me this is pretty common for those on crew. Thousands of people in LA work in the entertainment industry in these types of jobs, not only on movies but also still photography, their income is not "stable" but when they do work they make good money. This could be like a freelance retoucher to a stylist assistant just starting out; there are hundreds of people in some form of freelance or independent contractor situation like this and they will file for unemployment the second they see no work coming in for the next month -even if they have 10 grand in their bank account and they've been getting frequent work prior to that. Thinking of all those people leads me to believe the LA unemployment rate is misrepresented to an extent more than, say Topeka, Kansas' unemployment statistic.

That said, I do believe, as a new transplant or recent graduate without a mainline into a company, it is just as hard to find work in LA (in your field, in your pay grade) as it is to find a reasonable apartment in a good area. I've lived here my whole life and I've found no matter what the economic climate, finding an ideal job has been pretty much on par with searches on finding an ideal living situation in the past. You get the jobs by cultivating relationships and that comes with a bit of time. This city is so fragmented, with so many people it's much more likely you'll land a job through someone you know rather than a blind interview. That's just my experience.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Yeah the job market sucks, and wages are ridiculously low compared to the cost of an apartment in a halfway decent area. There are jobs out there but for me they always seemed to be in stupid locations that are hard to get to from affordable areas, like Century City or the middle of Orange County. It sucks to have to commute like 2 hours on crappy buses just to get to some $12 an hour job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles