Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrichard View Post
AD: "Two bedroom apartment for rent in beautiful Venice. Just a short walk from the beach, great eateries, and great entertainment! Will pay for half of the untilities. NO PETS ALLOWED! $600.00 per month plus $600.00 security deposit"

YES!!! "NO PETS ALLOWED" would be the "deal killer" for me...I made a commitment to those cats 11 and 10 years ago, and although it make it easier for me finding a place at my price to ditch the cats - somethings are more important.... It's one of the reasons I'm leaving my wife! Pet-people would understand....
Then you are looking for something that does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
LMAO Nope, it doesnt' EDRICHARD, you sound like a stubborn old codger who wants things his way and may be tought to live with. that person before who got you excited about El Sereno, didnt mention that EL SERENO SUCKS. A known gang area, unfortunately I lived there for 6 months and had tons of undesirables moving about. Not to mention they stole my neighbors car out of her gate

And its not even like you want a room, ur demanding a 1 bedroom apartment. You might as well park your car at night in Bev Hills and tell everyone thats where you live. You could probably catch a shower at the local LA Fitness. GOod Hunting

Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 46,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Of course that place doesn't exist....the point was to say that I will not move into a place that my cats can't move into ALSO - regardless of how good the offer!

Seems this forum, like most others, is also a victim of people just waiting for an opportunity to be part of the "Jerry Springer audience", trying to analyse people and say things they wouldn't say to a person's face - without someone between them , instead of paying attention to the issue/ inquiry presented and offering some positive feedback/ solution. You know who you are - you're the ones who will respond to this post with even MORE Bu[[ Sh[t name calling/ analysis!

I'll continue to be a "stubborn old codger" while I STUBBORNLY reach for my goals (some would call that "perseverance and determination"). Thanks to you jm182, HyperionGap, nighthouse66, MassVt, and mrsltd for knowing how to bring something positive, respectful, and useful to a forum.

Earl

Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM

69 posts, read 92,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm a pet person but...pet's don't take priority over family or marriage or the ability to live properly. I'm probably misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

There are places that will take cats, but you are painting a pretty grim picture of your life and ability to house youself, which doesn't translate into a good pet caretaker regardless of your commitment to them. If you insist on having it all your way in LA then suck up and move to a less desireable neighborhood, many people do, and live within your means and have enough to keep your cats healthy too,.

But why not move to Texas like you wanted? A couple of us asked and I didn't see an answer and would be a lot cheaper than trying to make a life for you and pets in an area you clearly can't afford. Nothing seems to be keeping you in LA.

What he's saying is he's not one of those scumbags who takes in an animal and drops them off at a shelter as soon as it's inconvenient. Much like any other commitment one should honor, it's till the end.

OP, good luck in your search.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
Anything is possible, but time has change and the progressive use of the internet has allow people to have open pricing for goods and service. However, anything is possible but in you case very remote, you might have better luck looking at newspaper ads, signage, or thru networking. My friend score a nice place in sf at below market rate because some older folks just wanted to rent it out to a non troublesome/quiet couple.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
The most decent area I can think of is Lawndale and Hawthorne.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrichard View Post
Of course that place doesn't exist....the point was to say that I will not move into a place that my cats can't move into ALSO - regardless of how good the offer!

Seems this forum, like most others, is also a victim of people just waiting for an opportunity to be part of the "Jerry Springer audience", trying to analyse people and say things they wouldn't say to a person's face - without someone between them , instead of paying attention to the issue/ inquiry presented and offering some positive feedback/ solution. You know who you are - you're the ones who will respond to this post with even MORE Bu[[ Sh[t name calling/ analysis!

I'll continue to be a "stubborn old codger" while I STUBBORNLY reach for my goals (some would call that "perseverance and determination"). Thanks to you jm182, HyperionGap, nighthouse66, MassVt, and mrsltd for knowing how to bring something positive, respectful, and useful to a forum.

Earl
Well you couldn't be more wrong. Too bad you feel that way. You just have unrealistic expectations.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 46,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWhiteKnight View Post
What he's saying is he's not one of those scumbags who takes in an animal and drops them off at a shelter as soon as it's inconvenient. Much like any other commitment one should honor, it's till the end.

OP, good luck in your search.
BINGO InternetWhiteKnight! You get it...I make up a ficticious ad to stress my conviction in keeping my commitment to my COMPANIONS (Qorro and LaFamilia ) regardless of how it may inconveince me, and I get comments back about how "unrealistic" I am...if only others would pay attention and be ready to offer something POSITIVE like you did. Just because one reads a post doesn't mean you have to comment on it - IT'S OK TO BE QUITE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE TO BRING TO THE POST!

I guess I'll have to take some blame for posting my "back story"... so, at the risk of adding more fuel for the "Jerry Springer audiance", let me clarify - I said that I "don't make a lot of money". I also said I didn't "WANT TO PAY" a $1000+ for a small space...I did not say I COULD NOT PAY for that small space. So I have NO desire, nor NEED to "move on" or go to Tx. At most, I'll live a short drive outside of LA. Nor did I ask about - and don't need info about a roommate or a furnished room...I already have furniture. As far as "pets don't take priority over family or marriage...", (again at the risk of stirring up Jerry's clan ) - here is my companions situation: between the time that my wife and I got married (on Catalina Island) and the time me and the cats moved to LA, she had the (easy to clean) floor tiles covered with wall to wall carpet against my wishes! This limits the cats to a back room (that leads to the side yard) and the kitchen! Although she claimed that she liked and could live with the cats - she has her 1st time to feed them! I could have found that "place that will take cats" five years ago but....I made my commitment to them! They are healthy, if not as happy as they can be, which is why I would be a total hipocrit to now kick them to the curb. In fact, the cats have a better than average placement situation if I wanted to go that route - I mentioned that I belong to the SiberianCat List which is a world-wide club for siberian cat owners (thanks to Qorro ). If the need was there (like if I die before they do), the owner of that list would be notified and a WORLD-WIDE call will be made to place my pets....they are OK now and will be OK after me if it comes to that!

In the meantime... I'll just welcome input of good and safe communites in or around LA that's not as expensive as where I currently live (Mid-City). Thanks kasuga888 and hipcat for keeping to my original question.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWhiteKnight View Post
"Inconvenient" is a pointless word. And in your case so is "scumbag". I notice these definitions usually apply to everyone but the person using them. In the case of pets, if you can't afford a place to live it's NOT "inconvenient" it's "impossible". Sorry, but you aren't sounding noble with your talk of commitment and honor here. And most pet's can be rehomed before a shelter needs to be considered. That's how I got 2 of my cats. But this isn't the pet forum, I've said the same thing there and stand by it.

The OP can easily keep his pets if he lowers his own expectations and/or moves somewhere with a lower COL, which is the whole point.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Best you can hope for is a roommate situation. 700 bucks won't get much in the greater LA area. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles