Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,520,321 times

Advertisements

Marv101, good points. I think in general there has been more degrading of neighborhoods versus worse areas becoming better...especially when you go back many decades. Many different reasons for this of course.

Interesting about the LA Weekly article, I don't really appreciate their often insulting tone though. They also often seem to be pretty inaccurate perhaps too many transplants that don't really know L.A?

They also mention North Hollywood in that list
"5. North Hollywood. Yeah, we know this is the old definition of **** hole, a place native Adam Carolla has described as somewhat worse than hell. And if you're not a Valley person, maybe it isn't for you. But consider the evolution of the NoHo Arts District. Any barrio that has a burgeoning arts district, including theaters, galleries and condo developments, is sure to turn a corner. It's only a matter of time before Lankershim Boulevard turns into Abbott Kinney"

Burgeoning arts district??? ...There have been theaters in NoHo arts , and the arts district has been far from being a barrio... WOW .

This Dennis Romero guy is a bit extreme and inaccurate in a lot of his articles. I had to comment on a recent post about the protests in Beverly Hills as he mentioned that the protests

"Even as speakers addressed the "white people of Beverly Hills" in a city that is as much as 35 percent Persian,"
Trayvon Protesters to Beverly Hills: 'Put Your Champagne Glasses Down' - Los Angeles - News - The Informer
The way he wrote it made it seem like he didn't know that Persians are counted as white in the census..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,387,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Or you know, the country's best pastrami sandwich.
So where is that, if you're talking about LA? IME NYC has got the best pastrami sandwiches (2nd Avenue Deli, Pastrami Queen, Katz's, Carnegie Deli).

Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,892,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So where is that, if you're talking about LA? IME NYC has got the best pastrami sandwiches (2nd Avenue Deli, Pastrami Queen, Katz's, Carnegie Deli).
Langers - I only say it because there is an (in)famous article in the New Yorker that proclaimed Langers the best pastrami sandwich in the country. I have no idea if it is true because I've never had pastrami in NYC.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,156,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
He's talking about Langers Deli, which is definitely amazing.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

I've been wanting to check out Langer's forever. I don't think i've heard anything bad about the place.

I went to Katz when I was in NYC , but wasn't too impressed really. The pastrami was kind of fatty it seemed.

I guess I expected more for $17...

Need to get to Langer's SOOOOON...and then I can also report back on how dirty the Westlake/Macarthur park Area is LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,387,919 times
Langers - OK, gotta try it next time I'm in LA. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM

“The Finest Hot Pastrami Sandwich in the World” (Lunch at Langer’s) - Amateur Gourmet

This is making me drool...

Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,268,801 times
I love the Westlake area. Love the energy, the people, the businesses, the halfsmokes from the street vendors along with all the stuff sold on the street. Is it really that dirty? I'm over there often enough hanging out at the park or visiting friends. The last thing it needs is to become a tourist trap. I hope I don't offend anybody but please don't turn into an area full of white people sitting at their outdoor cafes sipping lattes and darting into Lululemon and Papyrus. We have enough of those.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,031,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love the Westlake area. Love the energy, the people, the businesses, the halfsmokes from the street vendors along with all the stuff sold on the street. Is it really that dirty? I'm over there often enough hanging out at the park or visiting friends. The last thing it needs is to become a tourist trap. I hope I don't offend anybody but please don't turn into an area full of white people sitting at their outdoor cafes sipping lattes and darting into Lululemon and Papyrus. We have enough of those.
Lol. The hipsters are coming! The hipsters are coming!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Probably just a matter of time before it does gentrify...the location is too close to all the big hipster locations. Echo Park, Downtown,Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles