Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM

140 posts, read 239,601 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a pending offer from a company in Northridge (Balboa & Roscoe).

I am entertaining returning to Glendale (in temp housing now). I miss my old apartment where I could walk to the Americana, Galleria, restaurants on Brand Ave, the main library, etc. However, I can imagine the commute would exceed my 30-minute tolerance. I thought perhaps 5 to 118 to 405 would be mostly reverse commute, but en route to interviews I found the 118 is a hot mess near the 405 (and the 405 South understandably is too). Anyone with experience with this?

As a compromise, since I like the Glendale/Burbank area, I figured I could live in Burbank/Toluca Lake, either Burbank Village or near the studios/Toluca Lake. This would shave time off the 5 OR allow me to cut through to the 170 to Roscoe. Guessing driving 5 miles on Roscoe is no picnic during commute hours, but would this work timewise?

Thanks very much!! Any recommendations on safe, QUIET, professionals-dominant apartment complexes in the area are much appreciated. My list thus far:
- Metro Art (Toluca Lake)
- Montgomery (Toluca Lake)
- Windsor Lofts (Studio City, but close to Burbank)
- Toluca Place (Toluca Lake)

Most Burbank complexes got terrible reviews, so any personal experiences would be much appreciated! Yelp & ApartmentRatings.com posts are highly unreliable.

Thank you!!!
Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
Studio City, or even closer, Sherman Oaks?

Yes, most of the area around Balboa and Roscoe is kind of bland, apartments, houses, a couple malls, VNY airport, CSUN but nearer to Ventura Boulevard is a little more interesting.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

I'm going to consider Studio City/Sherman Oaks as well...but had gotten comfortable with Burbank/Glendale. I'd also read that property crime is higher (vs. Glendale/Toluca Lake), though I know all are relatively safe areas for violent crime.

I know one advantage of Sherman Oaks is it's a very easy trip into West LA (we love hitting up Santa Monica, Century City, Sawtelle on weekends).

Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM

You can get a "feel" for the crime of a neighborhood by walking around - even Google Street View. You can feel out of place or not. Other signs are the types of businesses (pawn shops, cash checking), graffiti, suspicious looking characters. Those vs progressive shopping, cheerful decorating, investment in infrastructure of businesses and housing.

And, so far, none of the places mentioned in this thread are risky - possible exception the parthenia/tampa neighborhood northwest of balboa and roscoe. Lots of apartments and historic drug deals, but I wouldn't be nervous in that neighrborhood even at night.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM

I think also Studio City/SO attracts a more diverse crowd vs. Burbank/Glendale. Given the former's trendier bar/restaurant scene, it can be louder, more congested, more theft and related crimes. The areas of Glendale, Burbank I mentioned seem more exclusively families, single professionals...just my impression. I could be way off.

Point being I like boring--eg, sitting in a quiet Coffee Bean with a pile of newspapers on a weekend!!! :-) But at least with the Americana hood, I could also walk to shops, restaurants, Barnes & Nobel in the evening. And most of my apartment neighbors were quiet Disney or Dreamworks employees.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Point being I like boring--eg, sitting in a quiet Coffee Bean with a pile of newspapers on a weekend!!! :-) But at least with the Americana hood, I could also walk to shops, restaurants, Barnes & Nobel in the evening. And most of my apartment neighbors were quiet Disney or Dreamworks employees.
Maybe near CSUN wouldn't be a bad idea? You could ride your bike to work.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM

I'll check out that area....I'd avoided because student enclaves tend to be rowdy (though I'd guess most commute from elsewhere).

Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Coworkers tell me the 405 doesn't get too bad until Sherman way, so coming down from the 118 should be ok if you go that route. I can also tell you that accessing the 405 from the 101 is miserable even if you're headed north. If you like quiet and want to limit your commute, you may also consider an apartment in Encino near Ventura blvd (so you can walk to some places) and you could take Balboa all the way to work.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Laughing....Encino was my very original plan until I "learned" about the 118 and that I could perhaps live amongst my old haunts.

Given lack of highly-reviewed apartments (I'm picky in wanting washer/dryer in unit) I'll consider Studio City, Burbank, and Encino. First blush look, seems Encino has few complexes; most are in Sherman Oaks.

Thank you for the info on the 405. Perhaps I hit a bad day. It was bumper to bumper last Tuesday at 8ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles