Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
You need to read this article in Weds LA Times: Los Angeles 2020 Commission calls for changes to improve the city - latimes.com

The commision released thirteen recommendations to turn LA around. Basically, they amount to creating MORE commissions, to look into things like city pension costs and the DWP.

Among the concrete proposals- raise the minimum wage, and combine the Ports of LA and Long Beach into one mega port (which is kinda like telling the Dodgers and angels they should merge).

The commission chairman is described as a "one-time mayoral candidate", which should give you an idea what's up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Yawn.

Job creation (Febuary 2014)
Los Angeles MSA: 36,100
NY/NJ/CT: 10,000

Since New York's key industries recieved a massive bailout five years ago, job growth in the region has been anemic at best. Now it is Los Angeles that is outpacing NYC for growth. The NY Times can shove it.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 04-10-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yawn.

Job creation (Febuary 2014)
Los Angeles MSA: 36,100
NY/NJ/CY: 10,000

Since New York's key industries recieved a massive bailout five years ago, job growth in the region has been anemic at best. Now it is Los Angeles that is outpacing NYC for growth. The NY Times can shove it.
Damn straight!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:08 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,705 times
I've been here for five years, and having lived around the country, the same problems do exist in other cities, but moreso in tourism-centered cities, and the changing face of ownership and wealth. Don't fool yourself, everyone has been saying for years coast to coast, that "things are not like they used to be…" And I agree, that's because time has passed. While I don't agree that it's easy to live here, that housing and jobs are easily found, for anyone who plans to get ahead and build a real life and retirement, live healthy, a person who is looking to live simply can stay here forever, if they are happy.

But, then again, we have to decide what makes us happy. Some of us just want to have the hills home, some of us want to own the hills, and then there's me, the person who just wants a tiny 1/2 an acre of ocean and mountain overlook in Topanga for $60k, which does exist, but the size home they want to build and live in- is too small. The idea of perpetuated failure in LA is truly a myth of great proportions, the greater truth would be that it's reflected across the country, and of course the larger cities would show it much more adamantly with larger populations and disparity of income. That just makes sense. But to prove my point, smaller, rural communities which lose large basis of employment quickly fall into disarray. Had the situation not be one of failure, this would not happen, for people would compete for them as employees. When they have nowhere to go, they lose.

But that's why we haven't lost yet in the bigger cities, because there are plenty of places for people to bounce, keep on with the quiet desperation of trying to find a good life, and more jobs are available. That being said, given the attitude of people here and the decency, (not all of us) I would HATE to be here when that infrastructure does crumble, cause it would get ugly very, very fast…and I would love anyone to challenge that who lives here.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Thank you liberals.
You missed the mark: Thank you Wall Street hustlers.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,681 times
LA needs to be more business friendly and the government needs to stop wasting so much $ on people who don't deserve it.

Libs gonna lib.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,982 times
As long as LA continues to have nice weather, tasty fish tacos, Mongolian art museums, and interracial dating, everything else is just Debbie-Downer nitpicking.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
I've been here for five years, and having lived around the country, the same problems do exist in other cities, but moreso in tourism-centered cities, and the changing face of ownership and wealth. Don't fool yourself, everyone has been saying for years coast to coast, that "things are not like they used to be…" And I agree, that's because time has passed. While I don't agree that it's easy to live here, that housing and jobs are easily found, for anyone who plans to get ahead and build a real life and retirement, live healthy, a person who is looking to live simply can stay here forever, if they are happy.

But, then again, we have to decide what makes us happy. Some of us just want to have the hills home, some of us want to own the hills, and then there's me, the person who just wants a tiny 1/2 an acre of ocean and mountain overlook in Topanga for $60k, which does exist, but the size home they want to build and live in- is too small. The idea of perpetuated failure in LA is truly a myth of great proportions, the greater truth would be that it's reflected across the country, and of course the larger cities would show it much more adamantly with larger populations and disparity of income. That just makes sense. But to prove my point, smaller, rural communities which lose large basis of employment quickly fall into disarray. Had the situation not be one of failure, this would not happen, for people would compete for them as employees. When they have nowhere to go, they lose.

But that's why we haven't lost yet in the bigger cities, because there are plenty of places for people to bounce, keep on with the quiet desperation of trying to find a good life, and more jobs are available. That being said, given the attitude of people here and the decency, (not all of us) I would HATE to be here when that infrastructure does crumble, cause it would get ugly very, very fast…and I would love anyone to challenge that who lives here.
I can't challege that, largely because it's unclear what you mean by "infrastructure".

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
On second thought...

The article is spot on.
Not sure what to make of that.....

Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
waiting for that first "New York biased article" response. Ooops, I think I just did it
lol is it me, or do you live to troll the LA forum? seriously, every single one of your posts on this board is a smart aleck wisecrack or putdown of some sort toward anything related to LA, but without any genuine insight about the subject at hand. no one's ever called you out on your antics (probably b/c native angelenos tend to be a laid-back bunch), but i'm a not-so-laid-back native of the other coast and thus less willing to overlook the childish attempts at provocation that sometimes take place on this board by the legions of bored LA haters.

the funny thing is, this isn't even close to being your most immature post on the LA forum. its just the first time i've decided to call you out.

i'd ask for your opinion about the validity of the report, but i know you're not going to read it or contribute a remotely meaningful response.

so yeah, keep on doing what you've been doing. must be very fulfilling to troll complete strangers on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles