Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:55 AM

52 posts, read 81,426 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a young single moving to LA for a job in animation. Most of the studios that interest me are in Burbank, and I am highly considering living in NoHo and commuting to Burbank via bike for the exercise and air. On the flip side, the valley is seen as a not cool area, and I want an active social life, so I'm highly considering staying in Silver Lake and commuting to Burbank via bus while bringing my bike on board. I could live in Burbank but that limits because there are studios like Fox Animation that are in Central City.

What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Silverlake is probably the most hip area of the four. Basically, it is the closest to Century City and also not too far from Burbank either. The other 2 locations will put you a bit further from Century City.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM

448 posts, read 1,605,659 times
Hi Garrett, where are you from? There are a lot of out of towners that hear the "Valley is boring" and they continue to spread that untrue message. See it for yourself. Plus the valley is quite large and you can't really just bucket it all together. Each neighborhood has its own look, culture, energy, style.

I've lived on both sides of the hill and can easily say I enjoy the valley much more. If you look at my profile, you'll see I've been all over the place and have landed in NoHo and love it here the most. It has (for me) the perfect blend of diversity from all kinds of races (at times it feels like I'm at the UN), gay and straight people, white and blue collar. People from all walks of life. Lots of artists (mostly dancers and actors).

From my experience, it's more laid back and traffic is much less of a stress driver for me. If you're planning to live anywhere near Chandler and Lankershim, you have a dedicated bike path away from the street that takes you right into Burbank. There are some nice murals along the way to enjoy. My fave is the one of a vintage train and a subway side by side. If you walk by it, it looks like it's moving.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,037 times
I would consider North Hollywood around the Arts District. It's a very cool place, pedestrian friendly and lots to do. The major bonus being that it has a Red Line metro station, giving you easy access Hollywood, Downtown (including the Staples Live area, the Historic Core, Chinatown, Little Tokyo/Arts District), Koreatown, Culver City, Old Town Pasadena..and by the end of the year Santa Monica. Plus, on weekends the trains run late ('till 2am, longer on certain holiday weekends.)

Silver lake doesn't have a metro stop, but the Red Line Vermont stations aren't too far from its western border if you choose to live around there. It depends how much you're going to want the convenience to explore other areas (so NoHo), versus mostly just sticking to nabe you live in (which then Silver lake would be better.)

Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Keep in mind that you can cut through Griffith Park to Burbank from Silverlake. All depends on exactly where you need to go in Burbank but you may want to check out Google or Yahoo maps before deciding - and I agree, Silverlake is great!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:52 AM

451 posts, read 562,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
Hi Garrett, where are you from? There are a lot of out of towners that hear the "Valley is boring" and they continue to spread that untrue message. See it for yourself. Plus the valley is quite large and you can't really just bucket it all together. Each neighborhood has its own look, culture, energy, style.

I've lived on both sides of the hill and can easily say I enjoy the valley much more. If you look at my profile, you'll see I've been all over the place and have landed in NoHo and love it here the most. It has (for me) the perfect blend of diversity from all kinds of races (at times it feels like I'm at the UN), gay and straight people, white and blue collar. People from all walks of life. Lots of artists (mostly dancers and actors).

From my experience, it's more laid back and traffic is much less of a stress driver for me. If you're planning to live anywhere near Chandler and Lankershim, you have a dedicated bike path away from the street that takes you right into Burbank. There are some nice murals along the way to enjoy. My fave is the one of a vintage train and a subway side by side. If you walk by it, it looks like it's moving.
This.
In a lot of ways I would prefer to live in the Valley myself. Only drawbacks are the weather, which is usually around 5-10 degrees hotter than LA, and the traffic on the freeway if you work in LA. The positives are definitely the more laid back style and traffic. As for the Valley being boring, this comment usually made by snobs who live and work in LA and don't have family in the valley, so they have little reason to ever visit. But there are plenty of things to do and different areas. Ventura Blvd alone is a very attractive area. The Valley is quite large. And if you want to do something over the hill in LA, outside of rush hour you're only about 15-20 minutes away.

In the Valley, I'd chose Burbank.
Silverlake is a hip area and very centrally located to DTLA, Hollywood etc.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 PM

I'm from Houston. Houston is okay but I'm sure even living in the Valley is a step up from H-town.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,057 times
Silver Lake is a cool area but it will be the farthest commute to Burbank. Fun area and you'll be close to Downtown and other areas with active nightlife such as Los Feliz.

Burbank and Glendale have more of a suburban feel and are generally safer with each city having a good main shopping center. Hip factor is just not as high. However, these aren't exact the most bike friendly places.

North Hollywood has the NoHo Arts District area, which is cool, and it's near Ventura Blvd. where there are a lot of restaurants and bars, but in terms of safety, North Hollywood has the most crime. There are certain parts that are really grungy, which is why rents are typically cheaper.

I'd go with either Silver Lake or Glendale. Silver Lake has is a great place for a single person with good nightlife and good access to public transport while Glendale is quieter while still having amenities and is centrally located (15 minutes to Silver Lake / Los Feliz; 20 minutes to Downtown; 10-15 minutes to Burbank by car).

Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM

76 posts, read 236,599 times
Parts of me are selfish and want people to think NoHo is not so great so it doesn't get over-crowded. That's a big part of the draw for me. I've lived here for a few years now and love the nightlife and easy access to Hollywood and Downtown via the subway.

I just watched a local play last night and it was hilarious. The theatre scene is awesome here where you have a nice dinner with so many options and then go to an intimate theatre.

I walk and bike around here all the time and never feel unsafe. I go to the neighborhood council meetings and during this last meeting, the senior LAPD officer said last month (April), NoHo had the lowest reports of crime out of all the districts in LA. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, but hey it's progress. Most crimes in LA are petty crimes like property theft. Just use common sense such as locking up your bike and putting it in a well lit area. The police here are pushing their communication heavy on "Lock it, Hide it, Keep it." Seems to be working.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Yeahhhh, I've picked NoHo. Sorry, you're gonna have a new person in town this December.

Um, you said put the bike in a well lit area, but to also hide it? You mean hiding it while at home, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles