Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 19,363 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Long Beach and looking for a one bedroom in a safe area, which is close to transportation. Relocating from the East Coast. Wanted to know how much are the utilities. Most adds I saw paid for the water and sewage. But what are the cost for gas, electric, and also cable.

Also what is the price range for a studio or one bedroom apartment in Belmont Shores, Belmont Heights, or Rose Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 AM

9 posts, read 13,591 times
Me and a buddy are making a move from the east coast to long beach in 18 days. Everything is looking around 1000$ unless you are sharing a 2 bedroom with a rando. We were able to find some 2 bedrooms under 1250$ but they all look kinda ghetto. But that is our prices range lol.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 AM

71 posts, read 113,593 times
1000 gets you a small studio near mothers beach. 1000 gets you a 1 bedroom around 4th st. You can find two bedrooms for 1200 around 10th street. Of course the latter option might take a while to get use too but if you don't go around acting all tough you will be fine. Crime has fallen a lot around that area.

Gas bill is around 10
Electric bill for a single dweller is around 25
Cable is subjective

Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM

57 posts, read 128,669 times
I like the area near Lime and 1st, it's cute, close to the beach, close to the grocery store, you can walk everywhere. When I lived in LB I lived up by the traffic circle, on Redondo and PCH. That area is ok, too, only 5 minutes to the freeway (total advantage), the LB airport (was great for me because I travelled a lot), and easy to get to Trader Joe's, Target, Whole Foods, etc. The area around Bixby Park is also nice but expensive, since it's close to the beach.

If you stream your TV and skip cable, you'll save a ton, as internet can be had for about $40. Cable is crazy expensive, like $80-$100/month, but you could just get a digital antenna, which will be a one time fee of $50 and then free, and you'll get a bazillion channels, including HD.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
So many threads here about this, but I'll contribute.

I landed in Long Beach when I moved to LA 2 years ago. I paid 1250 for a one bedroom about a mile inland in a safe and nice corporate complex. Knowing what i learned, I would have used Pabst-Kinney or hotpads dot com and found a private rental. You can get a 1 bedroom for about what I paid and be much closer to the beach.

Parking: Eegads does Long Beach parking suck if anywhere near the beach! If you get a place with a garage or off-street parking, you have lucked out and are likely paying for it. Belmont Shores parking is abysmal, inland a few blocks gets better. Alamitos Beach is THE WORST. People find a spot and leave their cars there until the street sweeper comes.

Your post indicated you might not have a car. Get a bike! Lots of bike lanes and Long Beach loves cyclists!

Electricity: for my one bedroom I paid around 20 bucks a month. I even got 2 months free when they did that rebate. I had the windows open most days so the ac didn't really do much for me, but LB is hotter than other coastal cities! There are some days where even near the beach it was 100. It's rare, but it does happen.

Gas: I usually paid 10-15 a month.

Cable: Didn't have it, didn't need it. With my rabbit ears antenna I got 107 channels on LA airwaves. I also hooked up my mac mini to my tv so I could watch whatever whenever. Cable is expensive and unnecessary. Better to spend that 150 a month on living closer to the beach in a nicer place or on a parking spot!

Internet: I had Verizon and loved it. I got it for just under 50 a month.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 15,848 times
Great thread as my job may be moving me to long beach. I have NO clue where we would want to live to be in a safe area for my family. My Work will be right next to the airport and I'm not sure if its safe around that area. I have small kids and dont want to worry about crime.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 AM

71 posts, read 113,593 times
The areas around LGB are great for families. There are tons of parks. Lakewood, Cerritos and Long Beach are the cities you want to look in if you don't want to sit in traffic on the way to work. You can not go wrong if you live a mile in any direction from LGB.

Now, if you want to stay closer to the water and your pockets allow for it... Belmont Heights.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 15,848 times
My pockets will allow about 2400 a month and I found a place in Bluff Heights between juniper and redondo but in between 3rd and 4th. Safe for a family with young ones ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles