Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,627 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me which community colleges are considered best in Los Angeles and which can easily get u a transfer to big universities after 2 years of education? and also the ones which have both electrical engineering and music courses.
Also tell me please does these colleges have residences for international freshmen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:42 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Check the individual schools, some have arrangements with schools like UCLA, UCI, UCSD, etc for guaranteed transfers.

Google "Transfer Alliance Program" for the schools you'd like to transfer to.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,627 times
does this TAP only allows students to transfer to UCLA?
after studying in community college in california, will i able to transfer to other universities of other states?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
I don't that specific information, but Santa Monica College has a lot of international students that attend UCLA and USC afterwards.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseeb195 View Post
Can someone please tell me which community colleges are considered best in Los Angeles and which can easily get u a transfer to big universities after 2 years of education? and also the ones which have both electrical engineering and music courses.
Also tell me please does these colleges have residences for international freshmen?
SMC and PCC. I don't know if the schools have "pre-engineering" though. But I'm sure they got some transferable courses. I never heard of a CC having dorms. BTW I wouldn't bother with places like El Camino, WLA, LACC, etc. Seems like loserville ie adult spending 10 years to get a 2 year CC diploma or for athletes who didn't make the cut to a Division 1-A school and are giving it another shot from my impressions. There are exceptions ie Keyshawn Johnson (WLA to USC to NFL) but you are talking about the exception rather than the norm IMO.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:47 AM

44 posts, read 73,225 times
I went to Santa Monica College before transferring up to a school in the bay area. I really enjoyed my time there. They do not have dorms though.(I don't think any community colleges do) They do have a roommate system for finding roommates though when renting apartments. I definitely recommend SMC though..I wasn't an international student..(there were a ton though) I came from IL..it was definitely a positive experience and I met some of the best friends I've ever had while attending. A lot of the professors teach at local universities like USC, UCLA, and Loyola Marymount University too. Spending time in Santa Monica is pretty awesome too. It really is a beautiful city.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,778 times
Here's an L.A. Times article that shows which community colleges transfer the highest number of students to the University of California system. Of course there's also the Cal State system as well as private universities, but this will give you an idea. As others have said, none of the community colleges have residences (dormitories) for students.

UC seeks to increase transfer students from community colleges - LA Times

Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseeb195 View Post
does this TAP only allows students to transfer to UCLA?
after studying in community college in california, will i able to transfer to other universities of other states?
Education in the U.S. is run at the state & local level so the TAP program is only for CA community colleges and CA state schools. I am not sure if private schools like USC and Pepperdine participate. I doubt any out of state schools are in the program since I think the idea is to keep the students in state.

If there is a specific school you know you want to transfer to, I'd research that school and understand their admissions process and how many students transfer in from community colleges.

All this information is online as are the details of the TAP program. You will probably get more information from those sites than this one.

Once you've done the research you might come back and ask more detailed questions based on what you've learned.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
All CC transfer to to UC or Cal-state have priority. All the CC's have those classes, but the difference is that some CC's have better programs in subjects/majors than others. For example, Cerritos has probably the best Dental Hygenist program, while Fullerton is well known for its superior Music and Drama programs. Pasadena used to have a well respected Nursing program. You have to do the research for each school if you want the best education in that field, and employers are well aware of particular CC's that have good, respected programs in their industries and favor those applicants. However, you MUST check to see WHICH classes count towards credit at the university you plan to transfer. Look it up yourself. The CC's have lists. Sometimes the counselors are WRONG. Nothing worse than taking classes at a CC only to find they count for nothing at a particular university you had planned to transfer. I've known people who had to go back to CC to get the classes they needed as credit to transfer, and boy did they waste a semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles