Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:54 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8sSKwS_gU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 10,210 times
Hmmmm some interesting things to consider. I regularly get stopped by little old ladies and yelled at (in Spanish) because my son didn't respond to them (in Spanish). People can't quite place my ethnicity as it is, I'm not quite sure where we'd get lumped in at first glance in LA. Either way, my husband/kids are German dual nationals so that is where our language focus has been.

I did find some nice things in Arcadia and Monrovia. South Pasadena sounds good, too. I wonder if we can weasel our way into Pasadena proper. I'm just thankful we have a few months to find something. I'm not in a huge rush, but it would be nice if we could get a feel for things and move sooner rather than later. No sense in dragging it out. Would you say La Verne is too far?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadubs View Post
Hmmmm some interesting things to consider. I regularly get stopped by little old ladies and yelled at (in Spanish) because my son didn't respond to them (in Spanish). People can't quite place my ethnicity as it is, I'm not quite sure where we'd get lumped in at first glance in LA. Either way, my husband/kids are German dual nationals so that is where our language focus has been.

I did find some nice things in Arcadia and Monrovia. South Pasadena sounds good, too. I wonder if we can weasel our way into Pasadena proper. I'm just thankful we have a few months to find something. I'm not in a huge rush, but it would be nice if we could get a feel for things and move sooner rather than later. No sense in dragging it out. Would you say La Verne is too far?
LaVerne is an easy drive if there is no traffic but during rush hours it can take 45 minutes. LaVerne has excellent schools as well. Parts of LaVerne have some gang activity from what I heard but overall its supposed to be a great city. Be forewarned that adjacent Pomona, Rialto and the overall Riverside area has high criminal activity. LaVerne is considered the gem of the area. Not to get into race again but black flight (due to Latinos pushing them out, the crack epidemic, gang wars, etc.) in the 80s and 90's out of El A took place to those areas. The problem is that as many hardworking people fled for a better environment, the criminals followed. You also get some Latino versus black hostilities the area from what I heard.

You may want to consider Rancho Cucamonga as well. In that area but considered good although LaVerne has better schools.

Last edited by BeatAngMoh; 12-07-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Parts of LaVerne have some gang activity from what I heard. Be forewarned that adjacent Pomona, Rialto and the overall Riverside area has high criminal activity.
Since when is Rialto adjacent to La Verne? Rialto is east of Fontana, both of which are in San Bernardino County. In your posts, you tend to paint entire cities (e.g. Pasadena, Riverside, Covina) with broad, all encompassing labels. Where do you get your information? Have you ever lived in any of these cities for any length of time?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:42 PM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadubs View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! Pasadena itself sounds great if we can find a townhouse/single family. We really want to stay out of a condo/apartment. I honestly know nothing, so I don't want to give the impression that we had our hearts set on Santa Clarita or anything. Just one of many suggestions!

Temple City, Glendora, Glendale, Arcadia, Monrovia were suggested by an acquaintance. I was also told to stay out of the Covinas and Duarte.

We tried homeschool this year, but would like the option of good public schools. I've been checking on rentals with zillow and trulia. Craigslist for the area looked really scammy and run-down. What do locals use to find rentals?
Just so you know Glendora, Monrovia and Duarte are at the Foothills of the Los Angeles National Forest. That's bear country and all kinds of wildlife.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Since when is Rialto adjacent to La Verne? Rialto is east of Fontana, both of which are in San Bernardino County. In your posts, you tend to paint entire cities (e.g. Pasadena, Riverside, Covina) with broad, all encompassing labels. Where do you get your information? Have you ever lived in any of these cities for any length of time?
BTW I'm a native Angeleno. Know the area well and have lots of contacts in various fields of commerce all over. I get my information directly or via my network. No one is painting anything with a broad brush stroke. But for purposes of sharing data points its not necessary to drill down by zip code and block. The OP is looking for a suitable place to live. As they will be transplants and have few sources of on the ground information, I offered to share my knowledge. You are welcome to add some color to the discussion if you wish. Documenting your information carries much more weight than slamming someone who is contributing like myself.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Be forewarned that adjacent Pomona, Rialto and the overall Riverside area has high criminal activity.
Rialto and Riverside are about 26 miles from La Verne.

That's like saying Long Beach is adjacent to Alhambra, which is ridiculous.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Rialto and Riverside are about 26 miles from La Verne.

That's like saying Long Beach is adjacent to Alhambra, which is ridiculous.
I would ignore any advice from someone that calls it "El a"

Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
May be wrong, but I think the OP was referring to income not housing prices.
No, she did say 2500 a month max rent. I happen to agree, she will have a tough time getting much for that, certainly anywhere near Pasadena. My heart goes out to people who have to face the sticker shock of real estate prices in S. California, whether renting or buying.

OP, please stay away from Craigs list: it is fine for buying and selling stuff, but not for much else. Most of the ads are misleading.

As for the areas you are considering: Monrovia sounds like a good fit, of course so does Pasadena if you can find something that meets your needs. As you have been told, Covina isn't a place for a young family (at least I don't think so and we bought our first home ther many years ago) As for Rialto, no, it is just too far. I wouldn't consider anything further east than Glendora. You have to make the break someplace. don't worry so much about ethnic breakdown or race, it isn't as big as issue as it was 40 years ago; there will always be racists, there will always be commuinites that are made up of one group more than another, but this is life. I do think your basic problem is going to be budget. Remember, much of what you see on line turns out to be very different in person.

Last edited by nmnita; 12-08-2014 at 04:47 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I would ignore any advice from someone that calls it "El a"
The OP needs to understand that poster is obsessed with race and all comments should be taken with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles