Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 PM

25 posts, read 50,341 times

Advertisements

Hi Los Angeles,

Recent college graduate from Boston just moved back to Los Angeles (Lived here in 2005-2008). In an awkward situation; I landed a job as an Account Executive in IT. It's in Torrance, I make $60k. Unfortunately, I used to make more money than this than in college in Boston.... However, I can't believe how competitive the job market is here and they don't pay much either!

A lot different than 2008 when I used to live here. The budget is very tight for me right now. I couldn't believe its more expensive to live in South Bay than Orange County (No offense, I like bigger spaces that are cleaner!)

Anyway, student loans are coming in and need some advice.

I am looking for an entry level / mid market career move but I want to be in an area that is,

1) Warm
2) Reasonable
3) Gay friendly
*I would like to find my partner here and settle down eventually.
4) Artistic

I miss NYC the vibe, the people, but the weather here has me hooked, why spend money on vacation when you can just go anywhere in Southern California.

I am open to all areas as this is my first spot out of college.

Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Diego county.

& suggest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,228,503 times
West Hollywood, LA
Woodland Hills, LA

Hillcrest, San Diego

Old 11-29-2014, 01:41 PM

221 posts, read 348,197 times
Highland Park, Northeast LA, or if you want to get in and buy before prices go up, Boyle Heights.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:30 AM

559 posts, read 1,381,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpride05 View Post

<snip>...but I want to be in an area that is,

1) Warm
2) Reasonable
3) Gay friendly
*I would like to find my partner here and settle down eventually.
4) Artistic

I miss NYC the vibe, the people, but the weather here has me hooked...
LA is LA. The sooner you stop looking for NYC in LA, the greater the chance you won't be miserable. The closest you'll get is to move to DTLA and suck up to a long commute by car or public transportation.

I'm pretty sure that 60K will afford you an apartment in Torrance. If not, you could get a roommate. If you are open to roommates, Hermosa, Manhattan & Redondo might come into play. Don't underestimate the value of a short commute; save the heavy driving for playtime on the weekends.

When you say "warm," what temp range are we talking about? Or are you talking about the personality of the people? The coasts have cool summers (70s) and it gets warmer rapidly as you move inland. Winter lows usually bottom out in the 40s.

What do you mean by "reasonable?" If you are referring to monthly rent, please give us a range or ceiling so we can be more helpful.

I think most of the metro could be considered "gay-friendly" in the sense that it's not a big deal to most people. PDA might get looks. West Hollywood probably has the highest concentration of gay residents and clubs but that would give you a real bummer of a commute.

Again, what do you mean by "artistic?" Do you want to live in an established arts district with loft living or are you looking for easy access to museums, theaters, etc., or something else?

Long Beach, especially the Naples area might be a good candidate since it has an artwalk, galleries, a large gay population and might be comparatively cheaper than an equivalent area in the South Bay/Westside. Commute on the 405 might not be too bad. It might even remind you of Staten Island (similar size & population; mix of suburban and urban)

I'd delete most of Orange County and definitely San Diego from consideration unless you have access to a personal helicopter.

How about West LA?

If warmer weather is a big driver to your coming to LA, why not consider someplace cheaper and possibly less competitive, like Atlanta, Albuquerque, Phoenix or the major cities in Texas?

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 11-30-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: reword

Old 11-30-2014, 03:11 PM

221 posts, read 348,197 times
I ditto Long Beach as gay-friendly and artistic.

I assumed warm meant with regard to people, since all of LA is warm compared to NY.

I also ditto that you won't find NYC in LA. Very different cities.

The entire metro area is gay-friendly. However, there are different concentrations of gay people of different ages across the city. NELA has a lot of gay people of both genders in their mid-20s to 50s and feels family oriented and friendly.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,376,365 times
I'm assuming if you like NYC, you like urban also. With a job in Torrance, your options are limited. In order to have a commute that won't make you hate everything about your life, stick to Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Long Beach. Long Beach has the largest gay scene and is generally considered one of the most gay friendly cities in the countries. Quite a few gay bars located in the city for how under the radar it is. Downtown is somewhat urban, but quite bland compared to NYC. The most vibrant part of LBC is Belmont Shore. Hermosa and Manhattan don't have many gays, but being a gay man myself, I can tell you that both are very gay friendly. Hermosa is the straight equivalent of WeHo in terms of its nightlife, walkability, young vibe, and political/social scene. Manhattan is slightly more upscale and therefore more expensive, but politically and socially it is just as young and welcoming. Hermosa caters to the 20s-mid 30s crowd while Manhattan caters to the late 20s-early 40s crowd. As for LBC, I can't comment since I've never been out there.

If I were in your position, I would take Hermosa. I love it there. The nightlife is really fun and the beach is beautiful there. You'll be closer to work in Torrance also.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,228,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
LA is LA. The sooner you stop looking for NYC in LA, the greater the chance you won't be miserable. The closest you'll get is to move to DTLA and suck up to a long commute by car or public transportation.

I'm pretty sure that 60K will afford you an apartment in Torrance. If not, you could get a roommate. If you are open to roommates, Hermosa, Manhattan & Redondo might come into play. Don't underestimate the value of a short commute; save the heavy driving for playtime on the weekends.

When you say "warm," what temp range are we talking about? Or are you talking about the personality of the people? The coasts have cool summers (70s) and it gets warmer rapidly as you move inland. Winter lows usually bottom out in the 40s.

What do you mean by "reasonable?" If you are referring to monthly rent, please give us a range or ceiling so we can be more helpful.

I think most of the metro could be considered "gay-friendly" in the sense that it's not a big deal to most people. PDA might get looks. West Hollywood probably has the highest concentration of gay residents and clubs but that would give you a real bummer of a commute.

Again, what do you mean by "artistic?" Do you want to live in an established arts district with loft living or are you looking for easy access to museums, theaters, etc., or something else?

Long Beach, especially the Naples area might be a good candidate since it has an artwalk, galleries, a large gay population and might be comparatively cheaper than an equivalent area in the South Bay/Westside. Commute on the 405 might not be too bad. It might even remind you of Staten Island (similar size & population; mix of suburban and urban)

I'd delete most of Orange County and definitely San Diego from consideration unless you have access to a personal helicopter.

How about West LA?

If warmer weather is a big driver to your coming to LA, why not consider someplace cheaper and possibly less competitive, like Atlanta, Albuquerque, Phoenix or the major cities in Texas?
Weather in the 70sF isn't cool, and in summer, the coast gets well into the 80sF as a daytime high many days. Winters are also cooler inland than they are along the beaches, particularly at night.

I do agree that if you want the most "urban, NYC-lite vibe", you'd be better off in the rapidly-gentrifying downtown. It's still quite affordable compared to some of the more quiet, wealthy suburbs.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,376,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Weather in the 70sF isn't cool, and in summer, the coast gets well into the 80sF as a daytime high many days. Winters are also cooler inland than they are along the beaches, particularly at night.

I do agree that if you want the most "urban, NYC-lite vibe", you'd be better off in the rapidly-gentrifying downtown. It's still quite affordable compared to some of the more quiet, wealthy suburbs.
His job is in Torrance. DTLA-Torrance sounds like a commute straight out of hell.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:44 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,834,002 times
Long Beach, Torrance, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo, or New York. I don't know apartment prices there, but if you can afford 1800 to 2500 for a 1BD you should be fine.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:42 AM

25 posts, read 50,341 times
Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions, my approach is a little bit more in order

1) Career centric
2) Lower overhead (rent) without sacrificing quality of life. IE: savings, student loans,
3) Gay Community

While I am CURRENTLY in Torrance, I am seeking my next position in either
1) West LA / West Hollywood (The better / best part of LA)
2) OC
3) San Diego.
^ I think these 3 are all fine for "weather"

I will have to open up a little more about what I meant; NYC...The closest thing to a walkable city or town that is vibrant and cultural to some regard. If San Fran was warmer, I would most likely be there.

My take so far

OC: Since living in Boston / NY, OC seems rather boring and feeble minded although aesthetically perfect!
* Is there REALLY a decent gay community there to date / meet new people?

West Hollywood: I'm uncertain if the 2010 A4 and lack of botox will be ENOUGH to land a good job or a good boyfriend without an MBA or Showbiz connections.
*please pardon the sarcasm, i just think the WEHO culture is a little too vapid for me, although its a guilty pleasure.

San Diego, I am really unsure about SD. I always felt it was like a little town, but too many retired people and marines....

If you can understand where I am coming from, I am just seeking the best fit in terms of looking for the next best job and basically, where I want to lay my roots because frankly;

I am a young gay male, working in a strict Japanese IT company.... Can you see the HELP sign coming silently from my cubicle?

Thank you all for your opinions! Keep them coming if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles