Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:55 PM

99 posts, read 125,473 times

Advertisements

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but how's the dating seen in LA for someone in late 30's?

Once, I was told by a fairly drunk girl that I'm easy on the eyes. (+- 3 sigma)

Is internet dating the primary way of communication? What's the best way for transplant with an accent to meet someone?

Please share your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,339,075 times
What kind of woman are you looking for? I'm going with typical LA.

If you have money... the bars, lounges and nightclubs. Make it rain that'll get their attention.

If you don't... you're SOL. Unless you're model looking.

Internet dating, or go out to the suburbs.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:23 PM

152 posts, read 212,433 times
It sounds like you're excited about your move, which is good but - worry about finding someplace to live and a job. Then worry about the dating. No one in any city is going to want to date anyone who doesn't have a home or a job. Get those, and you'll be fine. Lots of Europeans in LA. Spread out of course, but you won't feel out of place with any type of accent.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:25 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,701,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius07 View Post
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but how's the dating seen in LA for someone in late 30's?
Horrible if you're a heterosexual male. Especially if you're not good looking.

Certain accents might help, though.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 PM

99 posts, read 125,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASensiblePerson View Post
It sounds like you're excited about your move, which is good but - worry about finding someplace to live and a job. Then worry about the dating. No one in any city is going to want to date anyone who doesn't have a home or a job. Get those, and you'll be fine. Lots of Europeans in LA. Spread out of course, but you won't feel out of place with any type of accent.
I'm not really worried per se, just bit overwhelmed and also very, very excited. I have been planning this for years, but I didn't want to switch schools because I would have to pay out of the state tuition. Finally, the day has come. Its my first big move in 14 years. And moving from GA to Cali is kind of like moving from Earth to the Moon...

In reference to women, I would definitely skip the ones that are looking just for a guy with money. I was trying to find out if most people date online...I saw this show on Bravo about LA dating rituals few month ago, it was pathetic...Extremely materialistic.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,803,497 times
Lie
say what she wants to hear
sell her a dream
get in her head

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,803,497 times
You also need to listen to Tom Leykis

Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,199,859 times
Go to bars and clubs. Mingle. A lot of women will talk to you because a lot of women in Los Angeles are always looking to network. But you can also use online dating sites in the meantime. When I moved here I used Match and OKCupid but ended up meeting my girlfriend(who also had profiles on Match and OKCupid) at a comedy club.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,703,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius07 View Post

Once, I was told by a fairly drunk girl that I'm easy on the eyes. (+- 3 sigma)

Is internet dating the primary way of communication? What's the best way for transplant with an accent to meet someone?

Please share your experience.
I was just talking to someone who lives in the Sacramento area and he says there is NOTHING up there. Dead! So I think LA is much better than elsewhere. I'm not gonna say where I hang out because there's a shortage of women but Hollywood has a few older crowd places although they are upscale and expensive. BOA Steak House? It helps if you can wow them with an expensive car and do as Tom Leykis says by scouting out a vacant mansion on Mulholland Drive that is under construction. Tell the chick that it's YOUR home. You're only staying at the Travel Lodge for one more night.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,838,607 times
What are these comments? I'm convinced everyone on this forum has never even dated in LA. You decry all other LA stereotypes and pathetic generalizations except when it comes to those based on women.

OP, not every woman in this town is a gold digger looking for rich, hunky model, actor boyfriends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles