Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:01 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times

Advertisements

I'm African American and have lived in Los Angeles all my life. I've NEVER noticed these "tensions" between us and Mexicans. We get along just fine.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I'm African American and have lived in Los Angeles all my life. I've NEVER noticed these "tensions" between us and Mexicans. We get along just fine.
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what part of LA you live in?

Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
sounds like your getting terrible information. I'm not sure why your friend would want to live in East Los to be around hispanics when they are all over the city. I'm also not sure why you would generalize mexicans in a way that would reduce them to racist.
I told her that it'd be better for her to live in a more diverse area so I doubt she'll choose East LA to live in.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:44 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what part of LA you live in?
South Central, or South Los Angeles.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
OP, let your friend go experience LA for herself.

If she finds it to be an exceedingly racist hotbed, then she can always go back to CT.

If not, she can stay and enjoy herself. What sucks is that she may already have this idea that LA is racist, and you know what they say about self-fulfilling prophecies.....

Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
sounds like your getting terrible information. I'm not sure why your friend would want to live in East Los to be around hispanics when they are all over the city. I'm also not sure why you would generalize mexicans in a way that would reduce them to racist.
Sounds like this is a set up to yet another in the never ending series of "I have a friend who is _____ (insert any race but white) and I am _______ (insert any race but white) and I am just wondering how long I can go with turning this into a racist flame thread before getting axed."

Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sounds like this is a set up to yet another in the never ending series of "I have a friend who is _____ (insert any race but white) and I am _______ (insert any race but white) and I am just wondering how long I can go with turning this into a racist flame thread before getting axed."
Whoa...Calmate amigo!

I'm new here and I was posting this out of curiosity, not because I actually have control over what my friend does or to start any "flame war." My own cousin quit his job in Norwalk and moved to LA to become a movie star, after my whole family warned him about how stupid his decision was. I don't even chat with her about LA anymore.

I ask this because she was interested in making Mexican friends there and, after hearing hype about tensions in the region, I was curious how successful she'd be in doing that. Regardless of what I learn, it's not going to affect her choice at all. I'm using this for my own knowledge, not anyone else's.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Oh well then. I had no idea. Color me silly.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Whoa...Calmate amigo!

I'm new here and I was posting this out of curiosity, not because I actually have control over what my friend does or to start any "flame war." My own cousin quit his job in Norwalk and moved to LA to become a movie star, after my whole family warned him about how stupid his decision was. I don't even chat with her about LA anymore.

I ask this because she was interested in making Mexican friends there and, after hearing hype about tensions in the region, I was curious how successful she'd be in doing that. Regardless of what I learn, it's not going to affect her choice at all. I'm using this for my own knowledge, not anyone else's.
Have you bothered looking into the population and demographics of Los Angeles? Almost 50% of the population is Hispanic and that covers a whole bunch more than Mexicans. All she has to do, if she is so inclined, is look into where the various "varieties" live and she should find plenty from where she was raised. Regardless, there is no lack of Spanish speaking people in L.A. Many are from South America and many of those are black.

By the way, only nine percent of the total populace is black. In both ethnicities, the majority are not gang members. I truly believe she should be doing her own research.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:21 PM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
More of these ethnic tensions are in South Central if anywhere, I don't think she'll have special problems in East LA, and I live in a neighborhood just north of there. She'll probably stick out, and there might be some racism and I doubt it'll be a problem, especially with a community as removed from the conflict as East LA is. Florence might be a different story, though I hear a lot of that is gang related. Harbor Gateway I hear has some real problems, heard things about Pomona, even Highland Park though those may be isolated, I knew a half black/half Mexican kid that went to school there with me. As far as I know his biggest problem was getting jumped by some kids from Burbank, but that was more over the school he went to, there was a rivalry. But East Los? Nah, though it don't really have the diversity to have tensions like that. Does she really talk about East LA specifically, it's hard to avoid Mexicans in LA, even the white neighborhoods have gardeners and maids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles