Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 636,511 times

Advertisements

does this only apply to African-Americans? If so, which type of African Americans?

For instance, let's say you have a dark-skinned Spanish-speaking Dominican Catholic who decides to move into East LA to be around fellow Hispanics but he or she is black. Will this person still face racism from the Mexican/Chicano community?

The reason I ask this is because I have a friend here in Connecticut who's from the Dominican Republic and she looks like a blackened Mexican...seriously. She used to be an ESL student and had tons of Mexican friends in her classes who treated her like she literally was a black Mexican girl and one of them.

Anyways, like a lot of people here in the East Coast, she thinks California is the "place to be" and dreams of landing a job and moving there once she finishes higher education here in CT.

I warned her before that it isn't that easy to land a job in California and that the Mexicans in the West Coast aren't as open-minded as the ones over here.

She's obviously thinks the Mexicans there will accept her as a fellow Hispanic but I strongly doubt her blackness can be overlooked. What do you think?

Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM

115 posts, read 163,917 times
No clue. I have Mexican friends but I do know its tension in some parts.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,001,840 times
test:

Are you a gang member?

No?

Then you will be ok...such overblown nonsense.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:01 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,021,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
test:

Are you a gang member?

No?
The
Because only gang members can be racist?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
test:

Are you a gang member?

No?

Well, I'm not the one planning to move to California. I'm black and non-Hispanic but I mentioned that my black Dominican friend who's a female is considering making a move there, not me.

To be fair, I think she'll get over the "Cali phase" as many East Coasters do after a while but, for the time being, she's very serious about moving to LA after she finishes her college education.

If she tries to make friends with Mexicans(not the cholos obviously), we'll she generally face racism or not? I heard many Mexicans even outside of gangs hated blacks but I'm not from California so I can't speak about what I haven't experienced.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
No...but most of the tensions are gang related. People can be racist anywhere...I've seen it here, I've seen it in the South and the NE, but to act like tensions are so bad that a person has to watch their backs is wrong.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:45 PM

12,442 posts, read 8,239,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The gang members tend to harass black families who have a male of gangster age in the house. While Blacks have been in East LA for decades a first family in a hard line neighborhood would face the same challenges a "colored family" faced moving into an all white Southern state neighborhood before the 1970s.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:22 PM

5,871 posts, read 15,279,974 times
Quote:
test:

Are you a gang member?

No?

I have to agree with this. As a black man I never had an issue or problem. This is nonsense.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Okay...For those who are still confused, I'm NOT talking about gang tensions. This is a person who's majoring in Biology and on the Dean's list so it's not like she's going out of her way to associate with gang members.

I'm just saying that, from what I heard, Mexicans in SoCal usually only get along with Whites or other Mexicans and sometimes Filipinos. I heard Mexicans(the normal ones) don't like blacks(typically) but the ones in Norcal were more open-minded.

From what I've gathered so far, the tension is mostly just gang-related but I've heard otherwise so can someone shed some insight to support your view?

Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Okay...For those who are still confused, I'm NOT talking about gang tensions. This is a person who's majoring in Biology and on the Dean's list so it's not like she's going out of her way to associate with gang members.

I'm just saying that, from what I heard, Mexicans in SoCal usually only get along with Whites or other Mexicans and sometimes Filipinos. I heard Mexicans(the normal ones) don't like blacks(typically) but the ones in Norcal were more open-minded.

From what I've gathered so far, the tension is mostly just gang-related but I've heard otherwise so can someone shed some insight to support your view?
sounds like your getting terrible information. I'm not sure why your friend would want to live in East Los to be around hispanics when they are all over the city. I'm also not sure why you would generalize mexicans in a way that would reduce them to racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles