Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this thread is still going. 909er is one of those pathetic redditors losing his mind over Ellen Pao. Aka pathetic personified. '

Oh and it's not like I disagree that Los Angeles is quite expensive. It's one of the few downsides I have found about living here. Still about even or less expensive than the other metro areas I have lived in. I think the cost of living is worth it.

Last edited by munchitup; 07-15-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM

190 posts, read 214,313 times
Can't speak for others but if my household income or future potential payout (if I was at a startup for example) was less than $100k, I would not stay in LA. This is already considering that I have some family in LA right now and that makes me want to pay a greater premium to live here. Of course, that has to be adjusted by age. $100k is a great salary a few years out of school but not enough when trying to raise a family and fend off a mortgage. Sweet spot mid-career is somewhere in the $150-300k range (3x income puts you in range of housing of a number of good-great neighborhoods). Then you can easily afford the typical home and save for retirement. Above $1mln and I would consider moving out of LA due to tax savings (can still keep a vacation home).

The problem with staying in LA below a $100k household income is that your fixed costs are just too damn high. Take into account taxes and other items like food and you're not only struggling to pay a mortgage but also failing to save anything for retirement. Saving is not important when you're 20 yrs old fresh out of school but people tend to be more rational by age 30 and have greater visibility of their long term career trajectory. Run the numbers and it becomes a pretty easy decision for many people (you don't need to move to a small town in the mid-west either, it doesn't have to be a farm versus LA urban decision).

People who complain about LA being a bad place to live simply don't earn enough to really enjoy it. There has to be a reason they originally moved here and trust me, $$$ has a way of solving problems, be it traffic or other issues.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 PM

337 posts, read 405,862 times
Lol at these people moving to LA and complaining that they can't have the stereotypical middle American existence with a McMansion. I guess the same people whine why they can't afford a 4 bed 2 bath SFH with a yard in Manhattan. Billionaires living in 1600 sqft apartments don't think so.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:15 PM

337 posts, read 405,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
Can't speak for others but if my household income or future potential payout (if I was at a startup for example) was less than $100k, I would not stay in LA. This is already considering that I have some family in LA right now and that makes me want to pay a greater premium to live here. Of course, that has to be adjusted by age. $100k is a great salary a few years out of school but not enough when trying to raise a family and fend off a mortgage. Sweet spot mid-career is somewhere in the $150-300k range (3x income puts you in range of housing of a number of good-great neighborhoods). Then you can easily afford the typical home and save for retirement. Above $1mln and I would consider moving out of LA due to tax savings (can still keep a vacation home).

The problem with staying in LA below a $100k household income is that your fixed costs are just too damn high. Take into account taxes and other items like food and you're not only struggling to pay a mortgage but also failing to save anything for retirement. Saving is not important when you're 20 yrs old fresh out of school but people tend to be more rational by age 30 and have greater visibility of their long term career trajectory. Run the numbers and it becomes a pretty easy decision for many people (you don't need to move to a small town in the mid-west either, it doesn't have to be a farm versus LA urban decision).

People who complain about LA being a bad place to live simply don't earn enough to really enjoy it. There has to be a reason they originally moved here and trust me, $$$ has a way of solving problems, be it traffic or other issues.
You can always downgrade the size of your residence here. People pay crazy amounts of money to live on small apartments in places like Hong Kong or London.

LA is in the same league as those cities.

Ive always wondered though I am sure UK has its own share of people stating that London stinks and how it sucks that they can't afford a villa there and how much Gloucetershire is better value than London.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Lol at these people moving to LA and complaining that they can't have the stereotypical middle American existence with a McMansion. I guess the same people whine why they can't afford a 4 bed 2 bath SFH with a yard in Manhattan. Billionaires living in 1600 sqft apartments don't think so.
Pretty much. I respect that the LA lifestyle isn't for everyone, but I hate that the OP cannot respect people that enjoy it. Like I said it is pathetic and his/her superiority complex wreaks of BS. Anonymous boards like these make it pretty easy to do this sort of stuff.

I don't get why C-D allows people like this to continue to post, they significantly drag down the quality of discussion and on LA boards, push actually-useful threads for people with real questions and issues to the bottom of the forum.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM

452 posts, read 620,046 times
And that's why it's a Moderator cut: profane city for most, because most make under $100k. I was making over $100k til Obamas dumb ass had his loser libturd way. And now, due to high business costs driving all the non-computer tech jobs right out of this state, there is nothing left except $18 an hour. Maybe $25 if you're lucky. And not everyone is going to, or wants to, have some swanky power career that pays $300k mid career, like listed above.

In fact, most real men I know including myself don't wear buttons or ties. We have real jobs, wrenching and fixing and thinking stuff up. Not sitting in an office like a pansy.

LA is a 'tolerable' city in the low $100's, because you can scrape together some form of a Midwest type life, living in a house and all that, although it's still not quite the same. I suppose in the $200's it's gets better. But out of 20 million people, not a lot make that much, nor can they. And in other cities you can afford a house on just about any wage, size and price accordingly.

And the people that think "you have to make enough or be cool enough or whatever to hack it in LA" are the real douchebags that tarnish this place. They are the tards that need to be expunged.

Last edited by Count David; 07-15-2015 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: profanity

Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
And that's why it's a Moderator cut: profane city for most, because most make under $100k. I was making over $100k til Obamas dumb ass had his loser libturd way. And now, due to high business costs driving all the non-computer tech jobs right out of this state, there is nothing left except $18 an hour. Maybe $25 if you're lucky. And not everyone is going to, or wants to, have some swanky power career that pays $300k mid career, like listed above.

In fact, most real men I know including myself don't wear buttons or ties. We have real jobs, wrenching and fixing and thinking stuff up. Not sitting in an office like a pansy.

LA is a 'tolerable' city in the low $100's, because you can scrape together some form of a Midwest type life, living in a house and all that, although it's still not quite the same. I suppose in the $200's it's gets better. But out of 20 million people, not a lot make that much, nor can they. And in other cities you can afford a house on just about any wage, size and price accordingly.

And the people that think "you have to make enough or be cool enough or whatever to hack it in LA" are the real douchebags that tarnish this place. They are the tards that need to be expunged.
Isn't it sort of the Republican school of thought to take ownership for your own problems?

Blaming Obama is so pathetic. It's not his fault you got laid off from the cement factory (a way more likely scenerio than you making $100k+ LOLOLOLOLOLOL).

Last edited by Count David; 07-15-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 06:45 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Isn't it sort of the Republican school of thought to take ownership for your own problems?

Blaming Obama is so pathetic. It's not his fault you got laid off from the cement factory (a way more likely scenerio than you making $100k+ LOLOLOLOLOLOL).
There are two main types of republicans. (1) Fiscal conservatives and (2) socially conservative bible thumpers. Which one do you think he falls into?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:16 PM

190 posts, read 214,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
See. What does this have to do with anything. Ban this loser.

Real men don't spend hours on anonymous message boards.
I think it's important people have a right to express their opinions, but OP does come off as a miserable angry person. It's too bad he feels that he's been wronged having a superior education, but not making enough as a "real man" to achieve his desired lifestyle in a high COL city. I just feel bad for him.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
I think it's important people have a right to express their opinions, but OP does come off as a miserable angry person. It's too bad he feels that he's been wronged having a superior education, but not making enough as a "real man" to achieve his desired lifestyle in a high COL city. I just feel bad for him.
Pretty sure I read that his superior education was an AA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles