Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM

25 posts, read 50,204 times

Advertisements

I've traveled the U.S and decided to move back to California. It has been an interesting ride thus far. I've been turning down jobs ranging 50k-70k which is crazy if your unemployed. However, I am seeking quality of life this time around. I'm tired of working high pressure sales jobs....

So dear Los Angeles people, please listen to my opinion and suggest the best option,

LA is crowded, fake, rich and poor, but cosmopolitan. Something I missed living in NYC.

OC seems boring but beautiful.

SD, seems laid back back with a sense of community but very "basic" in terms of people.

Where does one find a small community close to the city if need be, beautiful, which is gay friendly without it being West Hollywood, close to the beach with a nice community of people. Is it Santa Barbara or SD? etc?

I am a 27 year old IT sales professional seeking to meet like minded people, I look forward to your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 03:25 PM

484 posts, read 822,473 times
Go where the jobs are.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM

25 posts, read 50,204 times
Someone is missing the point

Old 09-02-2015, 03:49 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Oildale

Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Salton Sea

Old 09-02-2015, 04:17 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
Out of curiosity, where were your job offers? Were none of those jobs in locations you'd consider have a high quality of life?

Look, every place has its pros and cons. If you get too finicky with too many preconditions and stay out of the job market too long, no serious employer will consider you.

LA, OC, and SD have a solid number of IT jobs, especially OC. If you highly value being in a gay friendly area, LA may be a solid bet. Santa Monica is a nice beach city close to job centers and pretty gay friendly ... but it is expensive!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpride05 View Post
Where does one find a small community close to the city if need be...Santa Barbara or SD?
It's 100 miles from Santa Barbara to LA and 100+ miles from San Diego to LA. Is that what you're calling close?

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 09-02-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 05:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I don't really agree with L.A being "fake".
It seems everyone mentions that the East Coast is "not fake" , but I think that's B.S , lot's of fakes and liars from NYC and the east coast too. Believe me they can put on the fake charm when they want something.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Honestly dude, the way you generalized every place, I dont think you would happy anywhere.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpride05 View Post
I've traveled the U.S and decided to move back to California. It has been an interesting ride thus far. I've been turning down jobs ranging 50k-70k which is crazy if your unemployed. However, I am seeking quality of life this time around. I'm tired of working high pressure sales jobs....

So dear Los Angeles people, please listen to my opinion and suggest the best option,

LA is crowded, fake, rich and poor, but cosmopolitan. Something I missed living in NYC.

OC seems boring but beautiful.

SD, seems laid back back with a sense of community but very "basic" in terms of people.

Where does one find a small community close to the city if need be, beautiful, which is gay friendly without it being West Hollywood, close to the beach with a nice community of people. Is it Santa Barbara or SD? etc?

I am a 27 year old IT sales professional seeking to meet like minded people, I look forward to your responses!
"Having your priorities backwards" is the kindest phrase that comes to mind here.

Not sure what you mean by "quality of life". You will have nothing like it without meaningful COMPENSATORY work unless you are independently wealthy or just very independent.

LA is NOT fake. It is very real, all 483 sq of the city and 4080 sq mi of the county. Not sure what you mean by fake and from where your opinions come.

OC is not boring and is beautiful.

SD is not as familiar to me, though I have liked the times I have driven through and been able to explore.

But the job has to come first. "Prepare your work outside and make it ready for yourself in the field; afterwards, THEN, build your house."

Any one of those three counties (or maybe the two counties comprising the IE also) may have something to offer you in terms of work that will enable you to live here and do so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles