Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Heat is fine although the sun is powerful as all hell. Good gravy I feel like an ant under a microscope. I guess it's the lack of clouds but I've never felt a sub this powerful, even in 80 degree weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
It makes it more fun! (And you feel less guilty for being lazy and eating terribly, lol.)

There's nothing like a lazy, stormy day every once in a while. I'd say most people not from here would somewhat agree with me.
I definitely miss summer thunderstorms and winter Nor'easters. There is a definite "rhythm" to the year when the four seasons are distinct, and I do miss it.

That being said, life is a lot easier when it's always sunny and 70s.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post

That being said, life is a lot easier when it's always sunny and 70.
Agreed. It is very nice.

I do not miss winter ONE BIT, however. We are relocating back to TN sometime around Thanksgiving; not looking forward to 4-5 days of grey skies and being chilly right when we get back. That said, winters there are very mild and more of an annoyance than anything. (Avg highs in mid-upper 40s, lows around freezing.). It is fun when it occasionally snows bc the entire city shuts down like an apocalypse, and the mountains and skiing are 40 mins away.

But it's really not bad. Like clockwork, my boat goes into the water third week of March and I don't take her out until mid October. That's 8 solid months of boating and tanning, being in the sun, etc.

My husband is from Rochester, NY, and hell would freeze over before I'd move there. Winters are disgusting there. For Pete's sake, we went to a wedding there at the end of April this year and it was 30 degrees. REALLY? The ceremony was even outside (wtf)!

Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 PM

368 posts, read 413,526 times
Grew up back east & I wouldnt care if I EVER seen another snowflake. LOVE the year round heat & sunshine.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:54 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
It makes it more fun! (And you feel less guilty for being lazy and eating terribly, lol.)
If I started to feel guilt about staying in and pigging out, then I started drinking till the guilt is no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I definitely miss summer thunderstorms and winter Nor'easters. There is a definite "rhythm" to the year when the four seasons are distinct, and I do miss it.

That being said, life is a lot easier when it's always sunny and 70s.
There is a reason for change of seasons. That is definitely the norm and I don't usually say this to anyone but having grown up in a 4-season climate, I feel the same way.
I think you need the change to appreciate each season for their pros and cons and for the opportunities, the changes they bring to an interesting and more colorful life.

If I was skinnier, I would probably tolerate or even enjoy the current hot weather much more but regardless, it is 10pm and my AC-less apartment is 98 degrees!

Good luck sleeping tonight.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:

There's nothing like a lazy, stormy day every once in a while. I'd say most people not from here would somewhat, if not all-out, agree with me.
I'm not from here, and I do enjoy storms, but I like to go outside when it rains. A warm Summer shower is wasted in you're just sitting inside IMO. Staying in and eating junk food while watching movies is for snow storms, not Summer showers.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:52 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I live in the valley and I would say the absolute opposite. Outside of a few short stretches of 100+ days, the weather this summer has been quite mild compared to the last few summers. While the humidity is higher than years before, it has only been oppressive during one of the heat waves (late June IIRC). normally in the summer, i would expect mid 90s from late June through mid Sept. This years it's been mostly high 80s, with many more cloudy days than usual this late into summer.
I was referring to the humidity which to me (in the LA basin) has very uncharacteristically high/uncomfortable (by LA standards).

Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
As an east coast transplant I can say with no hesitation I love the weather in LA. I do not miss those colorless, bare trees, no flowers and below freezing temps back there. And I don't miss the oppressive summertime heat and humidity.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:02 AM

176 posts, read 202,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I was referring to the humidity which to me (in the LA basin) has very uncharacteristically high/uncomfortable (by LA standards).
It has been. About 2 solid months of 50+% humidity. Normal would be in the 20-30% range.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 12,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Heat is fine although the sun is powerful as all hell. Good gravy I feel like an ant under a microscope.
No kidding, I don't mind the heat as much as the intense sun! Images from Lawrence of Arabia are conjured up. "This is the sun's anvil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I think you need the change to appreciate each season for their pros and cons and for the opportunities, the changes they bring to an interesting and more colorful life.
I love seeing the leaves transform to flaming colors and hearing and feeling the cool rustling wind. I find nothing more peaceful than the silence of falling snow; it mutes out all city sounds. Then seeing trees bloom with new leaves in neon-green. By summer, the air is humid but heavy with the fragrance of magnolia blossoms and wild tulips. The seasons in New England are a feast for the eyes, nose, and ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles