Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:05 PM

304 posts, read 931,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kftselios View Post
Hey to all
Thanks for your responses. The place we are looking at is called Garden Court Apartments and it is located near South Pacific Ave and South Mesa Street. We weren't looking at San Pedro originally, but the place seems so nice and is fairly affordable so we thought we would give it a try. I am really hoping that this happens to be a decent area because the place is perfect for us. Please let me know if you have more info now that I have given a cross street. Thanks again.
--------------------------------

Are you working in San Pedro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 50,402 times
Glad to see a more balanced discussion about San Pedro. Even those who live in the PV-adjacent neighborhoods of San Pedro have misconceptions about the older, downtown areas. There has been a marked influx of development money and this always signals change. The landowners are taking care to clean up previously dodgy streets and are spending $300K now a year on full-time private security to walk the streets. Last month the Port finally got the go ahead from community and environmental groups to move forward with their plan to spend $1.5B on a revamped waterfront/boardwalk. It will take years but the direction is up, up, up.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 50,402 times
Pacific and Mesa run parallel - you'd need to give a number or other cross street for me to know where you are looking.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 37,247 times
I bought a townhome on Grand Ave and Seventh. I have lived in San Pedro for a year and have had no problems. I walk at night downtown, shop, wine taste and walk my dog and I am female. Sure, sometimes you see a obvious knuklehead from time to time but, it's Los Angeles, not Mayberry. Most of the people are nice and say hello when I walk down the street. This city is a mix people and if a all white neighborhood is a decision quantifier for moving to San Pedro or not as a basis for safety, then the naysayers will not agree with me.

If you want a boring suburb that will stay boring forever without any possible better future, the valley is full of places to move to. San Pedro needs more positive people with vision to make it the diamond it should and will be. As a matter of fact, a new park is opening today!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 9,962 times
Well I live in San Pedro 15 years. Be honest with you, I don't like the city in general. Everytime I drive through San Pedro downtown to get to the aquarium, I have butterfly in my stomach. I feel like I am in downtown la. The water front and port o'call are ok. If you want to buy a home in San Pedro. The best area is South shores. The houses are very expensive there. Above Western ave is also nice but also expensive. Homes in Capitol St, Gaffey St, Western and Palos Verdes North are good area and reasonable. But I don't like San Pedro even though it is beach cities but Cabrillo beach is dirty. I live in San Pedro but if i want to go the beaches, I rather drive 15 20 minutes to Torrance beach or Redondo Beach. The 2 big stores in San Pedro is Home Depot and Target ( just opened 2 years ago)

Old 04-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 9,897 times
My family (wife and 3yr old son) are thinking of purchasing a place on 21st and Gaffey. Can someone give me some details on that location. I have seen that there are a lot of apartments surrounding the home we are looking at and I just want to make sure that it is safe. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by sehwha; 04-08-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,748 times
All,
I am new to california and i moved from MN. I am looking at renting this place at 6th st and harbor blvd. Is this a safe area for a female? I would love inputs on what areas are safe to live at. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 37,247 times
Hi! A couple I know lives at the VUE and they love the place. I visited them often, I am female and live downtown. Hope that helps.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,585 times
Hi! I just moved to San Pedro and I think, after reading this thread, that I live in one of the worst places. Down the street are the projects and I am one block away from Pacific.

My father's side of the family is everywhere in this city and I think I have two neighbors who are related to me. o.O Anywho, honestly, most of San Pedro looks awful to me. Most of my life, I have lived in Moreno Valley where the streets are always tidy and clean (at least where I lived). And I am very scared to take my dog out at night. The area where the lofts were built is very pretty and they are practically next to the projects, so I think this city has potential. I haven't heard gun shots yet, but I'm waiting for it. -_-

I don't like how many of the streets are too narrow. I think once you start to see wider streets, you know you are in a better area. Every time I go out, I see a lot of old people, so I think that's a good sign. It makes it feel peaceful just not taken care of.

Would I recommend people to live here? And after asking people my age (16-19) I found out there are only two streets to look out for. I don't remember which, but I just know I don't live near them. My brother says (related to crimes) that most of the 'cholos' just smoke pot all day and sit in their lawns.

I think that if LA county is truly going to invest money to clean it up, it would be a good place to invest in real estate due to the proximity of Palos Verdes. Just a little tidying up will be worth a lot. IMO anyway.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,619 times
I was born and raised in San Pedro, CA. I am a young female. I have lived in Hawaii, England, Torrance, Redondo Beach, The Valley, and multiple other places in California.

There is no other place for me than San Pedro. It is FULL of culture, colors, history, beauty, and friends. My neighbors are not people I see every now and then...they are like family. We have block parties. We invite eachother places. We love our community.

Yes, some places in San Pedro are shady but it isn't even close to East LA or Watts or what some consider the "ghetto." It sounds like a lot of the negative posts here are from people who don't know what a "ghetto" is.

I'll agree with some of the other positive posters here who have said that those with negative comments on San Pedro really have not experienced it. They have not allowed themselves to learn about how amazing the people and history are to the town. Come visit, take tours, immerse yourself into the history and culture and learn. That's how I would visit any place I go, why not where we live too?

In ending my post on my opinion, I would like to mention something very important about San Pedro. John Olguin, a huge part of San Pedro, passed away on New Year's this year. All loyal San Pedro residents showed their mourning during his memorial at Cabrillo Beach. Hundreds of people showed. He put so much time into San Pedro to help the community and families have a prosperous and educational town.

When a whole town goes into mourning over someone who has helped their town I believe that is a community I want to be in.

So, no San Pedro will never be a white washed suburban cookie cutter town. But it will be a place of history, of color, of difference, and of character. That is why many people move OUT of America and to England and Europe, they are tired of the white washed cookie cutter type cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles