Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,770 times

Advertisements

With a variety of threads about moving away from Californa and even ones inquiring about what we love about California, I got to thinking . . . when one moves away from here, whether they love the new place, hate it or are just warming up to the new environs what have you utterly missed about California in comparison to the things that are annoying you about the new place? Details please!!!!!!

Let's get honest about the stuff that possibly only a fello Californian could understand and chuckle about or shake their head in agreement (or disagreement!)

Warning--this may just get fun trash talkin' places other then California for a change, but for the good of all others that will eventually move away and maybe even experience the same frustrations written about here.

New information to consider for future transplants elsewhere. More grist for the meal or is that mill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 04:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
With a variety of threads about moving away from Californa and even ones inquiring about what we love about California, I got to thinking . . . when one moves away from here, whether they love the new place, hate it or are just warming up to the new environs what have you utterly missed about California in comparison to the things that are annoying you about the new place? Details please!!!!!!

Let's get honest about the stuff that possibly only a fello Californian could understand and chuckle about or shake their head in agreement (or disagreement!)

Warning--this may just get fun trash talkin' places other then California for a change, but for the good of all others that will eventually move away and maybe even experience the same frustrations written about here.

New information to consider for future transplants elsewhere. More grist for the meal or is that mill?
i miss roller blading @ will rogers beach and bicycling along the strand. i miss the 24 hr fitness gym in weho, people watching at the grove, the great variety of movies that you can see at the theaters in los angeles, driving to: the desert and vegas, san diego, up the PCH, san francisco.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:29 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,104,503 times
I miss the weather, the Pacific Ocean, the mountains, the people, the food, and the progressive feel. I miss all the stuff I did for fun and entertainment. All the weekend trips we took to Carmel, Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Francisco and more. I miss so much of it that we are planning on moving back soon.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 PM

318 posts, read 727,433 times
I miss the authentic mexican food with real salsa! Missouri hasn't quite got the bite.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I miss the weather, the Pacific Ocean, the mountains, the people, the food, and the progressive feel. I miss all the stuff I did for fun and entertainment. All the weekend trips we took to Carmel, Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Francisco and more. I miss so much of it that we are planning on moving back soon.
Yeah, you're right about that "progressive feel". although cali sometimes wasn't always that progressive, it seems more progressive when you compare it to oppressive texas. but even with the reputation that ca has as being "progressive", it still could not make gay civil marriage legal, nor legalization of marijuana. I can't shake the feeling that some of that "progressiveness" has actually ruined california by granting too many free benefits to the illegals who have swarmed the state. i don't want to get too off topic though.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
I miss the California weather! It rains all the time here (Texas).

I miss Trader Joes. HEB is the main grocery store here.

I miss freeway onramps and offramps. Here we have these crappy access roads where either you or the other drivers have to yield - and they don't always yield!

I miss my friends and family!

I miss my good paying job in CA. Fortunately for me, I get to go back!!!

I would say that I miss In-N-Out Burgers, but I don't eat fast food, so I don;t really miss it.

I miss Napa Valley and the Temecula Wine Country!

I miss SoCal beaches.

I miss the mountains! We have hills in Texas.

I miss KCAL9 News and seeing what Jackie Johnson is wearing or hearing Larry Welk in Sky9 having a fit over some high speed chase!

I miss local Los Angeles TV channels/stations.

I miss KROQ!

I miss the familiarity of everything I've known my whole life.

I miss Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm.

Oh, there's probably a lot more things I'm missing, but my mind is boggling right now! LOL

I am moving back to CA on May 24th and I am anxiously counting down the days!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I miss the California weather! It rains all the time here (Texas).

I miss Trader Joes. HEB is the main grocery store here.

I miss freeway onramps and offramps. Here we have these crappy access roads where either you or the other drivers have to yield - and they don't always yield!

I miss my friends and family!

I miss my good paying job in CA. Fortunately for me, I get to go back!!!

I would say that I miss In-N-Out Burgers, but I don't eat fast food, so I don;t really miss it.

I miss Napa Valley and the Temecula Wine Country!

I miss SoCal beaches.

I miss the mountains! We have hills in Texas.

I miss KCAL9 News and seeing what Jackie Johnson is wearing or hearing Larry Welk in Sky9 having a fit over some high speed chase!

I miss local Los Angeles TV channels/stations.

I miss KROQ!

I miss the familiarity of everything I've known my whole life.

I miss Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm.

Oh, there's probably a lot more things I'm missing, but my mind is boggling right now! LOL

I am moving back to CA on May 24th and I am anxiously counting down the days!!!
You must live in San Antonio like me. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. I spent 15 years in los angeles, but my family is here. i am enjoying being close to family, but do miss some things about socal. quite honestly, you might have liked austin better.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
I don't know. We checked out both Austin and San Antonio before we chose SA. I just think deep down (and even on the surface!) we are die-hard Californians. Me, hubby and the kids are all native Californians. So are my parents, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins. My husband's family originated in NY but have been in CA for over 50 years.

I honestly believe that even if we had moved to AZ or NV we would still feel the same way and want to come back home.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:00 PM

465 posts, read 2,427,512 times
Red face on missing california...

I miss waking up every morning saying, "Is the sun shining again?!" I moved back to Atlanta from California in '04, and it's all these over cast days again. I miss the California sun. I miss the mountains and the ocean; and the endless options for outdoor activities. I miss when I'm invited to someones house for dinner, and pull up in the drive way and see lemon trees in the back yard. I miss the palm trees; they have a calming affect on me. I miss indoor/outdoor living. I miss living in one town and being able to get in the car and be somewhere totally different in 30 minutes. And, oh yeah, that being a vegetarian in California doesn't make you an alien.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
I miss my neighbors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hello_Neighbor_01.jpg
Views:	5094
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	3238

Hi Guys, Where's the keg?

Name:	Lets_Have_A_Block_Party.jpg
Views:	20756
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	3241

I miss Los Angeles politics.

Name:	LA_Politics.jpg
Views:	2413
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	3239

I miss relaxing drives to work.

Name:	LA-Traffic.jpg
Views:	10823
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	3240

I miss Los Angeles diversity

Name:	LA_Diversity.jpg
Views:	7928
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	3244

I miss Los Angeles culture.

Name:	LA_Culture.jpg
Views:	37976
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	3243

But most of all, I miss Los Angeles neighborhoods like this one: For only $330K (really, this is not a joke) you get to live in a gated community. This model even comes with window coverings.

Name:	For_sale_0K_gated_community_in_LA.bmp
Views:	1162
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	3242
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles