Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Well certainly they are spending more on bikes and light rail than they used to, but, I don't think they are spending a "staggering" amount. Bike and pedestrian projects are still only around 2% of the total transpo budget, which is a big improvement from the old days. Bike and sidewalk money isn't really taking away money from car money.

And it is true that light rail is expensive. Most of those lines are a billion or two apiece. But then again, that car pool lane on the 405 through the Sepulveda pass that they finished last year was also a billion dollars.
Which was universally and accurately derided as a waste of money outside of the realms of local government. A light rail line would have been cheaper and would have actually done something about the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 05:40 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Politicians have a utopian pipe dream of getting everyone to use public transportation and ride bikes. We have to fight them at every turn. John & Ken talk about this all the time.
Meanwhile...every member of the LA County Board of Supervisors drives to work and parks in their assigned parking spot.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:20 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
War on Cars? What idiocy. It's the favored mode of transportation by a huge margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Politicians have a utopian pipe dream of getting everyone to use public transportation and ride bikes. We have to fight them at every turn. John & Ken talk about this all the time.
John & Ken have a radio show during the commute hours. Of course they are going to tell commuters that they're victims and that unscrupulous politicians are deliberately making their misery worse.

Have you considered that every person that uses public transportation means one less car and one less parking spot you need to fight over?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:26 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopThrill182 View Post
I don’t understand how sitting in traffic is a waste of one’s life but pedaling for even longer periods on a bicycle or making multiple bus transfers is some kind of nirvana.
I get my reading in on the bus and free exercise time on my bicycle. I do realize the American way is to drive one's car to the spinning class and ride a stationary bike before driving home again, but I can't say I see the attraction.

Quote:
And for the many Angelenos already burdened by exorbitant housing costs, cars allow them the cargo space to save money by buying goods in bulk at stores like Costco rather than at higher prices at street corner pharmacies, for example.
Cause and effect - you have them mixed up. And it's not the CostCo runs that's causing the traffic snarls, it's the commute. The single-occupant-vehicle commute.

Quote:
Is there any evidence to suggest that a majority of Angelenos support, much less plan to use, all the bike and bus-only lanes the city is installing at the expense of car lanes?
Majority? How about a proportional assignment - if 2% of the budget goes to bikes and public transportation, well - then having 2% of the people use it is hunky-dory in my book. And you are aware that most bicyclists have a car, right?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:49 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
There is plenty wrong with that, for a lot of people it does NOT make sense at all. Me included, I will not give up the convenience of my car and nor should I have to.
The traffic must be convebient.

Nah, but seriouly, weve become slaves to our cars.

But with that being said, wish we didnt have to rely on cars all the time. Ita nice to drive as an option.
Ever thought that the reason why driving is so convenient is because the way cities are built here in the states is inconvenient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles