Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times

Advertisements

I'd say give it a try. If you're thinking about Calabasas, also check out adjacent Woodland Hills. TONS of new apartments and extremely walkable, particularly in Warner Center where I live. EVERYTHING you need is within a mile or two radius. The canyon gets you to the beach in 20 minutes. What you'll like about L.A. is the variety of things to do. Hiking, sailing, great motorcycle roads, clubs, restaurants, the list just goes on and on, and even skiing isn't that far away. Last but not least, you're a 50 minute flight to Vegas. Come on, you'll LOVE it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 11:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Oxnard.
All very nice areas . Oxnard sometimes is viewed negatively but the area by the water is nice and not as crazy over priced as the beach areas in L.A county like Santa Monica Venice etc

Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'd say give it a try. If you're thinking about Calabasas, also check out adjacent Woodland Hills. TONS of new apartments and extremely walkable, particularly in Warner Center where I live. EVERYTHING you need is within a mile or two radius. The canyon gets you to the beach in 20 minutes. What you'll like about L.A. is the variety of things to do. Hiking, sailing, great motorcycle roads, clubs, restaurants, the list just goes on and on, and even skiing isn't that far away. Last but not least, you're a 50 minute flight to Vegas. Come on, you'll LOVE it here.
True , Woodland Hills is more practical than calabasas . It seems to be a decent value for the L.A .
Of course nothing in L.A is going to be cheap.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
The taxes are high, but look on the bright side, you get year round great weather, beaches and palm trees.
You also get earthquakes. Two years ago in Carson at the Motel 6 (a wonderful motel, btw. Best in town) I ended up under the table. We were on the second or third floor. You can keep the earthquakes.

I live 8 hrs away in Calif and have never been in an earthquake before

Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know --is it worth it to relocate from the East Coast to L.A.? I ask because I'm really trying to decide.

If you currently reside in L.A., share what you enjoy most about residing in the area. I don't plan to relocate until my lease is up, but during the interim, I'd love to live vicariously through your stories.

The practical side of me wants to settle down and find a nice/quaint mid-size city to purchase property in, but then I think about the fact that you only live once; therefore, it's imperative that I go after my dream of relocating to the land of sunshine and palm trees.

I have considered places like Austin, Dallas and Houston, but who am I kidding, I could NEVER be happy in Texas. In all honesty, I have no interest in dealing with the closed-mindedness that accompanies living in such a hillbilly/redneck backwards state!

I don't anticipate having any financial issues. Since I work from home, I can live anywhere, due to the nature of my position. I've already picked out several apartments that may be a good fit (I won't know until I visit), but one thing is for sure, I'm not really looking forward to spending 2300-2600 on rent, but I guess it goes with the territory, therefore, it's ok (for now).
Worth it, especially if you work from home. Worst that can happen is that you don't like it and leave.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
You also get earthquakes. Two years ago in Carson at the Motel 6 (a wonderful motel, btw. Best in town) I ended up under the table. We were on the second or third floor. You can keep the earthquakes.

I live 8 hrs away in Calif and have never been in an earthquake before
The motel 6 in carson does look pretty hip

https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.ca....oglelocal-4665

Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 AM

88 posts, read 89,718 times
I also work from home and lived in East Coast for 30+ years. I'm now living in LA.
LA is pretty good and I don't care about traffic since I work from home.

I think it's worth trying to move and you can easily move back if it doesn't work out.

Be prepared for a higher cost of living, like 10-20%.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:

I have considered places like Austin, Dallas and Houston, but who am I kidding, I could NEVER be happy in Texas. In all honesty, I have no interest in dealing with the closed-mindedness that accompanies living in such a hillbilly/redneck backwards state!
You just labeled a whole state hillbilly and redneck...WOW. I guess over here the the thought process is we are all liberal and gay

If that's how you generalize, don't know if this would be a good spot for you. I will say one thing, LA will not be as white as you are used too living in Conn. for starters, and as mentioned the sheer insane amount of the illegal crowd will blow your mine.

On that note, plenty of good areas. Depends on ur taste. I personally like living here but partly is becuz looking back, i find the East Coast virtually unlivable at this point in my life

Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
It is very difficult to give a person specific evaluation without knowing more about you. What do you like to do? Do you like to travel? Do you like a certain terrain? Etc.

Los Angeles probably has one of the most well known pro's and con's. If those pro's far outweigh the con's, then make the move. If not, keep searching:

Pro's:
-Warm mild climate
-Variety of recreation
-Center of attention globally
-Diversity racially and culturally
-FOOD
etc

Con's:
-Cost of Living
-Traffic
-Pollution
etc...

Old 03-12-2017, 09:46 AM

209 posts, read 220,153 times
I have thought a lot about other alternatives. Some people in my family have advised me to purchase property in Austin, Dallas or Raleigh. But I don't have children (nor do I want any) and I simply can't see myself living in TX or NC. I've never really cared for the close-minded people that tend to inhabit those locations. Also, as a single woman, (even though I'm admittingly a home body) I would be bored to death living in an area filled with soul-less malls, fast food stores and no real culture. Additionally, I value my health and tend to prefer to live around health conscious people, who eat healthy and live active life styles.

Based on my multiple visits to L.A., I believe I would be better suited on the West Coast. I was amazed by all of the healthy food and yoga options. Heck, if I relocated, I would strongly consider becoming a full fledged vegan. I have also thought about adopting a puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles