Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 01:35 PM

171 posts, read 356,329 times

Advertisements

We're a family of 4 moving to LA. We plan to rent for the first year before we decide where to settle/buy. Husband will work downtown near Union Station. We'd like to find a 2BD apartment within walking distance of the Gold Line so he can take public transit to work. We'd like his commute to be less than 1 hour door-to-door. Budget is $3K/month (although always nice to spend less, right?!). Schools aren't important to us as the kids aren't in school yet.

I'm a SAHM and would like to be in an area where we won't be sketched out to go for walks during the day. I used to live in Washington DC and have street smarts, but I've also got twin 2 year olds to wrangle now...

From online searches, I've found some seemingly nice apartments in Pasadena near the Lake Ave station. Is this a neighborhood where you'd live with toddlers? Are there other areas you would recommend? In a nutshell, does our plan seem feasible? Or, should we look farther afield and have husband drive and park at a Gold Line station/possibly drive to work?

Thanks for your advice, random strangers on the internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM

8,582 posts, read 11,008,682 times
The gold line goes beyond Pasadena, and if you can afford it, Arcadia would be something to consider.

Bob.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,826,207 times
With your budget, you may want to checkout South Pasadena. Very safe neighborhood and if you stay, the schools are excellent.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonista View Post
We're a family of 4 moving to LA. We plan to rent for the first year before we decide where to settle/buy. Husband will work downtown near Union Station. We'd like to find a 2BD apartment within walking distance of the Gold Line so he can take public transit to work. We'd like his commute to be less than 1 hour door-to-door. Budget is $3K/month (although always nice to spend less, right?!). Schools aren't important to us as the kids aren't in school yet.

I'm a SAHM and would like to be in an area where we won't be sketched out to go for walks during the day. I used to live in Washington DC and have street smarts, but I've also got twin 2 year olds to wrangle now...

From online searches, I've found some seemingly nice apartments in Pasadena near the Lake Ave station. Is this a neighborhood where you'd live with toddlers? Are there other areas you would recommend? In a nutshell, does our plan seem feasible? Or, should we look farther afield and have husband drive and park at a Gold Line station/possibly drive to work?

Thanks for your advice, random strangers on the internet!
"Sketched out".....LOL.

Why do people move to city they knowing about? Don't come and do their own reserach to see what areas they like?

As already mentioned the Gold Line goes further east than Pasadena now. Lot's of of young and the horror WHITE families moving to Highland Park, than you have South Pasadena(good choice), Pasadena, and further out.

But you need to visit and see for yourself.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:00 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,391,639 times
South Pasadena would be the best place for you. The drive to downtown you can take local streets or the Arroyo Parkway. The Gold Line Station is quite popular with people who live in that city and work in Downtown. Much more family oriented.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 PM

171 posts, read 356,329 times
Thanks for the feedback! I know next to nothing about the LA rental market. How far in advance do properties advertise vacancies? We're looking to move mid-August. I won't be able to take more than one trip out to see potential places, so I'd like to time it right. Is it like a 30-day window before move in? Or you sign a lease and take possession ASAP?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 AM

928 posts, read 1,068,797 times
There are many other good option along the Metrolink Lines. Fullerton and Diamond Bar/Walnut are great and only 30-40 minutes from Union Station on Metrolink.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,563,439 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I know next to nothing about the LA rental market. How far in advance do properties advertise vacancies? We're looking to move mid-August. I won't be able to take more than one trip out to see potential places, so I'd like to time it right. Is it like a 30-day window before move in? Or you sign a lease and take possession ASAP?
The decent places in LA move fast. Many of the rentals I see online say available around a week later to 2 weeks later max. Some say available now and they will rent to the first who can move in tomorrow. Around here when moving from rental to rental you can count on paying rent overlap at 2 places for at least a couple weeks and possibly a month. And when you find a place you like sign the papers right there otherwise the next guy will. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Check pollution levels as well. Pasadena is right against the Mountains and it backs up there. This will be important for your kids health. You can get information a lot of places. I use airnow.gov and put in a zip code.

Her is today's for 91030:

Note I could not get the photo to paste onto this page.

Dark Green is OK and yellow is not so good and each deeper color is worse and red is:"Unhealthy"

It does get even worse.

That area is in the yellow today and possibly in the orange tomorrow. It is not perfect as it changes hour to hour as you can see if you click the AQI loop button on the web page, but it is a good guide.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
If I am reading this right and you're planning a trip before your mid August move, than you if you find something you need to pay rent on it than and there. So if that means paying rent in two places for a month or so, that's what you do to secure it. Also moving in the middle of the month iis awkward.

It's going to depend, timing is everything. There may be a place you like that currently has tenants moving out end of July and the timing is just right, or if it's vacant now the landlord is going to rent to those who want to pay, you're coming from out of state so unless you "show them the money" they're not going to wait for you as they have no guarantee you're actually moving.

You should have been on this sooner. Came out for a week and spend your time driving and researching a few months before your actual move. When you do this due to being rushed as you're doing, you usually don't get what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles