Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM

817 posts, read 753,221 times

Advertisements

Yeah Eagle rock sucks. The Burbank malls location gives it great potential for some sort of redevelopment. The Glendale Galleria is also an 'interesting specimen as well, being next to the Americana certainly helps, but the Galleria is huge and with stores going out of business, what will fill that mall?

Out in Montclair, the Montclair plaza has been dying for a few years. They are redeveloping it into some sort of lifestyle center. Perhaps Glendale will have to follow suit some day. There is always going to be some brick and mortar, just not enough to fill gigantic malls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Paseo Colorado mall next to the civic auditorium is half dead. All of the luxury stores left. Old Macys left because they demolished building for a new hotel in place. The only thing saving it is the multiplex theater and major chain restaurants like PF Chang and Yard House. Old Town Pasadena has all the stores that would work in Paseo but no point of having 2 exact stores a mile apart.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Beverly Center is doing just fine.
Westside Pavilion I think will last too.
There's just too many people in the Westside for either of those malls to close.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:16 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
all of them

Old 06-28-2017, 03:28 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Huh. When my friends and I were teens, we all used to hang out at the mall. (Queens Center, in NYC.) I assume several generations of American teenagers did so. A key element of modern American youth culture is dying. I guess today's teens all live on social media.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Glendale, Northridge and Topanga will all survive.

Burbank Center has been trying to die for a long time, almost since it opened. It's never had all of the shops filled.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Malls period are a thing of the past. Trends change, the only hope for most malls are the outside malls, which most are new. The trend today leans more toward nice store fronts, small specialty stores, big box shopping and of course on line. I would doubt any of the malls in the Los Angeles area will be alive in 10 year. Certainly they will not be thriving and if alive at all, they will all be a thing of the past in 20 years.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 AM

451 posts, read 1,324,738 times
The times are changing. The malls that don't adapt will close. I was a teen in the 1980's and that was where us suburban teens would hang out- not just to shop for clothes, but also play video games at the arcades, browse books/magazine at the bookstore, browse/purchase music at the record stores, get food at the food court, watch movies at the movie theater in the mall, and simply just "hang out." But, these things seem like a thing of the past. People are now more into experiences, social media, do things online. I think the malls can't rely on what drew people in the past- but have other things to attract people for experiences like live entertainment, classes such as cooking classes, rock climbing walls, gyms, expos, and other things to draw people.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Glendale, Northridge and Topanga will all survive.

Burbank Center has been trying to die for a long time, almost since it opened. It's never had all of the shops filled.
Topanga,northridge and glendale should survive.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:33 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
What's all this prattle about not adapting? I recently went shopping for clothing and fine jewelry, and found that even the small stores had prices that were competitive with Amazon Prime's free shipping.

Malls do not seem to be rip-off centers anymore and have adapted, so get out and give them another chance. And enjoy them while you can because nothing can compete with the tactile experience of actually seeing what you're buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles