Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 11:08 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,187,705 times

Advertisements

The dominos are starting to fall. I just heard on the radio Irvine is pulling out of the oc fire authority and going private. Placentia is right behind them. Now that the union is losing all that Irvine money they will raise fees on other cities that are already bleeding money to them. Guess what those cities will do??? This is a bad week for Ca unions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 11:24 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,993,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
SCOTUS did not get rid of unions
Who said SCOTUS "got rid of unions"? Where? Let me see, nope, no one actually said that (especially me). What I was talking about was union power to negotiate directly with public officials was greatly weakened, which it was.

When Scott Walker kicked public unions in the nuts in Wisconsin, what happened to the membership? That's right, it dropped by 40% and public unions lost tons of political power, and Wisconsin went red for the 2016 presidential election, the first time since 1984.

What do you think is going to happen in California? I know what will happen.

Quote:
I'm not going to discuss market adjustment here because that would only become relevant if all LE and firefighting agencies were privatized and that will not happen, not now and not in the foreseeable future, so if a few do privatize and try to significantly cut wages and benefits they will experience exactly what San Jose PD did.
Yeah that's right, nothing will change. Just like nothing changed in Wisconsin.

If nothing is going to adjust or change, then the SCOTUS decision makes no difference, and unions requiring fair share dues wasn't necessary in the first place.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The dominos are starting to fall. I just heard on the radio Irvine is pulling out of the oc fire authority and going private. Placentia is right behind them. Now that the union is losing all that Irvine money they will raise fees on other cities that are already bleeding money to them. Guess what those cities will do??? This is a bad week for Ca unions....
It does not say they are considering "going private":

Quote:
Local officials and experts say Irvine could either create its own fire department or form a new fire agency with other cities as an alternative to staying with the OCFA.
https://www.ocregister.com/2017/01/2...ire-authority/

Nothing about "going private" anywhere not in any of the 6 or 7 articles I read on this, but if you find one please post it.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It does not say they are considering "going private":

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/01/2...ire-authority/

Nothing about "going private" anywhere not in any of the 6 or 7 articles I read on this, but if you find one please post it.
Hmm, this a direct quote from one of the articles you posted.

Quote:
City officials have complained for years about Irvine property owners paying more than the fire services they receive. By some estimates, Irvine taxpayers could save about $20 million a year if the city starts its own fire department.

Tuesday was the first time the City Council directed staff on the issue. City staff will analyze the pros and cons of leaving the OCFA, while reviewing the steps to do so and the city’s options, Wagner said. The city must give two years’ notice, by July 2018, if it decides to leave the OCFA after its contract expires in 2020.
That's interesting. How would irvine taxpayers save $20,000,000 a year by starting their own FD?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's interesting. How would irvine taxpayers save $20,000,000 a year by starting their own FD?
How could they save 20 million by hiring privateers?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:49 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

they could try..by eliminating defined benefits pension..offer 10-20% share in their retirement contribution..generous disability insurance

also, follow the military in hiring.. if nobody is signing up, give signing bonuses

Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Clearly, privatization works and works well.

https://www.creators.com/read/john-s...ize-everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhZqM83Zio

Old 06-28-2018, 12:09 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,289,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow, max....up too late? That was rude.
You're offended about me not caring about 2sleepsy exact duties? Cool story? I don't think anyone cares about what I do, nor would I expect them to. It is irrelevant in the context of this discussion.

Quote:
I'm not going to discuss market adjustment here because that would only become relevant if all LE and firefighting agencies were privatized and that will not happen, not now and not in the foreseeable future, so if a few do privatize and try to significantly cut wages and benefits they will experience exactly what San Jose PD did.
The San Jose PD example is not a good one for that reason, unless all agencies were providing lower pay under the same union terms. But let's take it a step back, the point is the benefits provided to government employees do not represent free market conditions, the tax payers are overpaying for the services, and it's straining local governments.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
How could they save 20 million by hiring privateers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
they could try..by eliminating defined benefits pension..offer 10-20% share in their retirement contribution..generous disability insurance

also, follow the military in hiring.. if nobody is signing up, give signing bonuses

Old 06-28-2018, 12:19 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,187,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

Irvine will have no trouble hiring fire fighters. Right now getting in the fire academy here is like winning the lottery. It's almost impossible....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles