Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 04:14 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

What are you doing for them?
I also paid high California taxes for decades and now I pay Washington taxes. I volunteered for a food bank and also volunteered for a church that held a massive "Day of Hope" until my back got so bad I couldn't anymore.

I understand many homeless are considered to be a blight on the community, but I wanted people to be aware that there were other homeless people out there who were deserving of help, people who could be your brother, your coworker, the person checking you out in the store, or your child's teacher. So I post, here and other places, to try and present the other side of homelessness.

I made a single post on Yahoo and it got over 11,000 thumbs up and over 700 replies. It was reprinted on many websites and I feel I did something good that day. I want to make readers aware that being homeless isn't something that happens to just bad people and many good people can get caught up in homelessness, too. Homelessness isn't always the result of bad choices, or because people use drugs, or are alcoholics or deadbeats. Many homeless people work and many of them are trying to improve their circumstances by going to school or learning a trade. Many of them were service veterans. Many of them are retirees who worked their entire lives, some of them have medical bills that drove them into the street, some of them were just priced out of the rental market. Many homeless are young people who were in foster care and having aged out of the system, were then thrown out of their foster homes with nowhere to go.

All these people get ignored or are lumped into the group that includes the chronic homeless that everyone sees, the old guy crapping in a park or the crazy woman pushing a shopping cart and talking to herself, and they bear the backlash of the "all homeless people are losers" mentality that so many people have of them. They may not be as visible as the homeless people living in tents using drugs on street corners, but they're there.

-----------------------------------------------

By the way, I just found this today:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/am...ies/ar-AAwMV7t

From the article:

"Renting a two-bedroom apartment in Jacksonville, Florida, requires earning at least $18.63 per hour ― $10.53 more than the state minimum wage. In Tacoma, Washington (pop. 211,000), a property management company is evicting low-income residents so it can flip their building into luxury units."

"Nearly half of Boise’s renters are living in apartments that eat up over 30 percent of their income. Since 2005, as living costs have exploded, Boise’s median income has fallen and the number of homeless children has more than doubled. Last month, a 5-year-old died when the car her family was sleeping in caught fire in a Walmart parking lot."

"With rents booming, though, the assistance isn’t keeping up. HUD recalculates the value of the vouchers every year. But some Boise landlords are raising rents every 60 days."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 04:39 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I also paid high California taxes for decades and now I pay Washington taxes. I volunteered for a food bank and also volunteered for a church that held a massive "Day of Hope" until my back got so bad I couldn't anymore.
My job has me traveling to 9 nine states. I don't have the time on my days off to go and volunteer. Instead I find solace in feeding all the hungry critters that are living all around me...critters who's hunting grounds have been disappearing from human overpopulation resulting in overtaking and building housing and businesses on land that critters once called home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
II understand many homeless are considered to be a blight on the community, but I wanted people to be aware that there were other homeless people out there who were deserving of help, people who could be your brother, your coworker, the person checking you out in the store, or your child's teacher.
Homelessness is no different from any other social situation where a human can't get out of their rut or help themselves...such as a family member stuck in an abusive relationship and no amount of help in the world is going to make them budge or get out of that cycle. I have a brother in such a situation and I have been expending my efforts for 11 years to no avail.

Some folks no matter what you do will never overcome their despair. Madonna no doubt is a very charitable human...she can't even help her brother because he is not willing to do his part. This is the same for most of the homeless that we see who are in plain sight everyday. What does Madonna's brother spend his time doing...talking crap about her for not caring about him. Sounds no different from the bleeding hearts trying to demonize those of us who are fed up with the BS and the crime, filth, drug abuse, thieving, disgusting human excrement on sidewalks etc. I care more about seeing these folks abide by the laws that help keep cities clean and bio-hazardous free and public property being used for it's intended purpose vs. seeing it used as a living quarters for homeless folks. Habitual offenders like those around the camps have zero intention of turning their lives around. These people know how far they can push things to stay just outside of what the police can do to stop them. Having spoken to several officers, they are just as frustrated. Laws like Prop 47 have emboldened criminals because they know police can do little to stop them.

She did a lot to try and help him...but at some point you just have to accept this is the fate of many homeless...they do not posses the desire to be rehabilitated. You can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to without force and even then it's a no win.

Madonna Is Feuding With Her Family Because of Her Homeless Brother
Quote:
“Sadly the relationships appear to be beyond repair,” a source said. “Madonna and Mario are done with Anthony forever. They don’t think he deserves any more chances.”

Madge took this tough-love stance after they met at the patriarch’s vineyard in Michigan to discuss how they can help their brother Anthony — who came to the meeting drunk.
How many times do we have to keep banging our head against the wall until we realize that it hurts?

Last edited by Matadora; 05-05-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 06:08 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
My job has me traveling to 9 nine states. I don't have the time on my days off to go and volunteer. Instead I find solace in feeding all the hungry critters that are living all around me...critters who's hunting grounds have been disappearing from human overpopulation resulting in overtaking and building housing and businesses on land that critters once called home.

Homelessness is no different from any other social situation where a human can't get out of their rut or help themselves...such as a family member stuck in an abusive relationship and no amount of help in the world is going to make them budge or get out of that cycle. I have a brother in such a situation and I have been expending my efforts for 11 years to no avail.

Some folks no matter what you do will never overcome their despair. Madonna no doubt is a very charitable human...she can't even help her brother because he is not willing to do his part. This is the same for most of the homeless that we see who are in plain sight everyday. What does Madonna's brother spend his time doing...talking crap about her for not caring about him. Sounds no different from the bleeding hearts trying to demonize those of us who are fed up with the BS and the crime, filth, drug abuse, thieving, disgusting human excrement on sidewalks etc. I care more about seeing these folks abide by the laws that help keep cities clean and bio-hazardous free and public property being used for it's intended purpose vs. seeing it used as a living quarters for homeless folks. Habitual offenders like those around the camps have zero intention of turning their lives around. These people know how far they can push things to stay just outside of what the police can do to stop them. Having spoken to several officers, they are just as frustrated. Laws like Prop 47 have emboldened criminals because they know police can do little to stop them.

She did a lot to try and help him...but at some point you just have to accept this is the fate of many homeless...they do not posses the desire to be rehabilitated. You can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to without force and even then it's a no win.

Madonna Is Feuding With Her Family Because of Her Homeless Brother

How many times do we have to keep banging our head against the wall until we realize that it hurts?
I have seen too many people involuntarily laid off unable to secure gainful employment in a timely manner to believe that this is every single homeless person. I think the poo and trash is a wake up call that if we keep treating people with contempt and continue to maintain at will doctrine as well as refuse to vehminitly enforce anti trust that this is the society we are going to get.

You cant keep laying people off and replacing their job with a mcjob and expect your cities to look like switzerland.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have seen too many people involuntarily laid off unable to secure gainful employment in a timely manner to believe that this is every single homeless person.

Quote:
I think the poo and trash is a wake up call that if we keep treating people with contempt and continue to maintain at will doctrine as well as refuse to vehminitly enforce anti trust that this is the society we are going to get.
I have never treated any homeless person with contempt and the other list of things you love to ascribe to others but yet I am still surrounded by homeless crap in my neck of the woods. People who behave the way the homeless who create bio-hazardous and illegal camping on public land have absolutely no respect for the civilized humans that live in the vicinity. You are clueless about why they behave this way. Watch Drugs Inc. SF about an addicted meth addict who knows what he's doing is wrong but just does not give a crap. He want's his high much more then he wants to be a functioning member of society.
Quote:
You cant keep laying people off and replacing their job with a mcjob and expect your cities to look like switzerland.
Yes you can. There are plenty of nice clean cities in the US that have people who work "mcjobs". You are nothing but an enabler and excuse maker. Why don't you just take care of all of the homeless on your dime as you see fit. In addition to that just make up the salaries of those who you think are not being paid a decent wage on your dime as you see fit.

If a person works a low skilled low wage job you think they deserve to be paid what people who've earned a 4 year degree are being paid? Low wage jobs are not meant to be life long goals for most working people. It's usually a stepping stone or a place holder until they finish earning a degree or learning a trade or livable wage skill. If a person does not want to work a low wage job for the rest of their lives then they had better plan their lives very carefully.

I guess you've never considered overpopulation of the world or what impact it has on jobs, housing or land use? The US population is right behind China and India and is growing upward. That's a lot of folks to employ.

The United States Is Already Overpopulated

Last edited by Matadora; 05-05-2018 at 07:19 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:

I have never treated any homeless person with contempt and the other list of things you love to ascribe to others but yet I am still surrounded by homeless crap in my neck of the woods. People who behave the way the homeless who create bio-hazardous and illegal camping on public land have absolutely no respect for the civilized humans that live in the vicinity. You are clueless about why they behave this way. Watch Drugs Inc. SF about an addicted meth addict who knows what he's doing is wrong but just does not give a crap. He want's his high much more then he wants to be a functioning member of society.
Yes you can. There are plenty of nice clean cities in the US that have people who work "mcjobs". You are nothing but an enabler and excuse maker. Why don't you just take care of all of the homeless on your dime as you see fit. In addition to that just make up the salaries of those who you think are not being paid a decent wage on your dime as you see fit.

If a person works a low skilled low wage job you think they deserve to be paid what people who've earned a 4 year degree are being paid? Low wage jobs are not meant to be life long goals for most working people. It's usually a stepping stone or a place holder until they finish earning a degree or learning a trade or livable wage skill. If a person does not want to work a low wage job for the rest of their lives then they had better plan their lives very carefully.

I guess you've never considered overpopulation of the world or what impact it has on jobs, housing or land use? The US population is right behind China and India and is growing upward. That's a lot of folks to employ.

The United States Is Already Overpopulated
They don't care. They want more, more, more, more and still more immigration so that our cities can turn into hell holes.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
They don't care. They want more, more, more, more and still more immigration so that our cities can turn into hell holes.
I know and it's disgusting and the reason why the US is on a sinking ship to becoming a failed nation.

We have much more to worry about with respect to fixing the US than to waste time on those who won't help themselves or who have made bad choices. After they wake up from realizing how much they've screwed their lives up they than expect the government and the private citizens to fix their mess.

I am much more concerned with the issues that are killing our country then the folks who made bad choices.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
You are nothing but an enabler and excuse maker. Why don't you just take care of all of the homeless on your dime as you see fit.
You're not going to get anyone to pay attention if you keep putting down those who happen to disagree with you.

Quote:
If a person works a low skilled low wage job you think they deserve to be paid what people who've earned a 4 year degree are being paid? Low wage jobs are not meant to be life long goals for most working people.
That is not AT ALL what that poster wrote. Scroll back.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:28 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
This one may be waaaay to mentally ill (obviously NOT a harm to self or others) to get it: starting fires will NOT get you to a nice safe supervised facility. Booked- but- detained? who knows? hmmmm maybe almost immediately set free with a brand new lighter?
What is dirty jerry doing to Redlands? I guess the expensive public employees and service groups there need "more resources"
https://www.pe.com/2018/05/03/woman-...homes-doormat/
Why speculate that she was released? She wasn't and it's public information and takes maybe 3 minutes to find. But if you had found out that she's in custody on $100,000 bail you wouldn't have been able to toss in the nonsense about expensive public employees and Jerry Brown somehow letting her walk free

[quote]
Quote:
FSB18001737 PC451(D)
RUIZ, SOPHIA ALICIA
CENTRAL DETENTION CENTER
630 EAST RIALTO AVE
SAN BERNARDINO, CA 92415
ARSON:PROPERTY San Bernardino Superior
05/09/2018 0830 Dept: S4 $100000
https://web.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/boo...ingsearch.aspx

Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
[quote=2sleepy;51813874]Why speculate that she was released? She wasn't and it's public information and takes maybe 3 minutes to find. But if you had found out that she's in custody on $100,000 bail you wouldn't have been able to toss in the nonsense about expensive public employees and Jerry Brown somehow letting her walk free

Now don't confuse the issue with facts.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:15 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
[quote=expatCA;51814959]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why speculate that she was released? She wasn't and it's public information and takes maybe 3 minutes to find. But if you had found out that she's in custody on $100,000 bail you wouldn't have been able to toss in the nonsense about expensive public employees and Jerry Brown somehow letting her walk free

Now don't confuse the issue with facts.
Brown is obviously not responsible in this case, but the Dems have done everything possible to prevent as many people as possible from going to jail due to overcrowding, a situation they have no interest in alleviating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles