Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 05:04 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times

Advertisements

There was a business decision made to determine what the pay rate for her position, not on what you think is a good wage. The purpose of a business is to make money, they want to pay the least amount for a task. Apparently $13/hr is the going rate for a janitor trainer.... janitor... trainor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My son worked at Costco 7 or 8 years ago, front end and after 2 years was making $18.50 an hour. He quit after 4 years and was paid around $20-$21 at that time, that was in Reno. He also received fully paid health and dental and tuition assistance. His experience was not unique. Costco Pays Retail Employees $20 An Hour - Business Insider

The lady who died worked for Disney had been a full time employee since 2009, she was a trainer of other housekeepers, and worked 3rd shift which according to other articles has a pay differential, people 'guess' that she made $13 an hour. Here's an article written by one of her co-workers
The Price of Wonderland: Homeless Disney Worker Dies in Car
So yeah I think that's just BS to pay someone who has worked full time for your company and is charged with training employees $13 an hour, especially when it's an employer as powerful and wealthy as Disney.
sorry but I call BS on that woman's blog about working for Disney. Either BS or she's very bad with math which would explain her troubles in life. She claims that she worked "full time" 30 hours a week for $10.50/hr and made $10k/year. Is that after taxes because that should be over $16k/year. But even though she only worked 30 hours/week she apparently missed all of her kids birthdays, school events, Christmas, Thanksgiving and every other important event in her family's life. She also complains about having money taken out for health insurance for her and her family when someone working 30 hours/week should be grateful to get health insurance offered by employer. Also by her math she was paying $80/mo for herself and two kids. If she had pay for individual health it would be much more then $80/mo. Everyone wants a hand out

Old 04-03-2018, 05:45 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
My son worked at Costco 7 or 8 years ago, front end and after 2 years was making $18.50 an hour. He quit after 4 years and was paid around $20-$21 at that time, that was in Reno. He also received fully paid health and dental and tuition assistance. His experience was not unique. Costco Pays Retail Employees $20 An Hour - Business Insider

The lady who died worked for Disney had been a full time employee since 2009, she was a trainer of other housekeepers, and worked 3rd shift which according to other articles has a pay differential, people 'guess' that she made $13 an hour. Here's an article written by one of her co-workers
The Price of Wonderland: Homeless Disney Worker Dies in Car
So yeah I think that's just BS to pay someone who has worked full time for your company and is charged with training employees $13 an hour, especially when it's an employer as powerful and wealthy as Disney.
So, that's what you think would be "commendable" pay for a janitor working third shift? $20-$21 an hour?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:46 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
sorry but I call BS on that woman's blog about working for Disney. Either BS or she's very bad with math which would explain her troubles in life. She claims that she worked "full time" 30 hours a week for $10.50/hr and made $10k/year. Is that after taxes because that should be over $16k/year. But even though she only worked 30 hours/week she apparently missed all of her kids birthdays, school events, Christmas, Thanksgiving and every other important event in her family's life. She also complains about having money taken out for health insurance for her and her family when someone working 30 hours/week should be grateful to get health insurance offered by employer. Also by her math she was paying $80/mo for herself and two kids. If she had pay for individual health it would be much more then $80/mo. Everyone wants a hand out
Damn.

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:48 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
So, that's what you think would be fair pay for a janitor working third shift? $20-$21 an hour?
I didn't say that, but since you decided to try to make it sound like I did, I'll take that as a sign of the futility in continuing to discuss this with you.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
If you are sleeping on the sidewalk then it's pretty clear that you can't even afford a cheap motel room, so how are they going to move anywhere and if they were to move, and they got a job how would they survive in the 2 or 3 weeks before they get their first paycheck?
Funding the above seems like a reasonable use of taxpayer money. A charter flight -- or just Southwest Airlines -- coupled with a month at a motel.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
I am not aware of charities that will buy bus tickets for the homeless unless it is for a prearranged reunification with a family member or friend who has agreed to assist the homeless person. A program like that where another charity at the location where the job is located would provide shelter until the person got their first check would be great but I'm still dubious about how many employers are going to be willing to hire homeless people.

There's a program called "Back on my Feet" that's had some great success with breaking the pattern of homelessness, so far it's in 12 cities.

"Back on My Feet recruits members at homeless and residential facilities around the country and begins with a commitment to run three days a week in the early morning. After 30 days in the program, members with 90% attendance earn the opportunity to move into the second phase of the program called Next Steps, which provides educational support, job training programs, employment partnership referrals and housing resources. Over 80% of individuals who start our program move into the Next Steps phase.

In Next Steps, members work with BoMF program staff to develop a personal road map to independence. Each member attends financial literacy classes and job skills training provided through partnerships with our corporate partners. Members can earn financial assistance to remove barriers to employment and housing such as work supplies, transportation and security deposits. Members who achieve employment and housing become Alumni Members. Within six months of becoming a Back on My Feet Alumnus, 90% of members maintain their employment, 60% receive a wage increase and 20% achieve a promotion."

This link describes the San Francisco "Back on my Feet" program run by the San Francisco Runners Club:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...g-12766843.php
Fascinating. That is some out-of-the-box thinking. If I were homeless, I wouldn't be able to do it (leg disability -- broke it in 4 places in a single accident a decade ago, with lots of titanium. The consequence: I literally cannot run. I can walk fast, but not run.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I had almost the exact conversation with 2sleepy about the sanctuary laws. 2sleepy insinuates justification for the laws because ICE is hard to work with and local LE is understaffed. When I press about the laws themselves I get the "I'm not going to answer that."
On other occasions, accusations of circular reasoning are thrown around when, paradoxically, the reasoning employed by the accuser is so very often...circular.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Even Palos Verdes Estates now has issues -- at least they did today. I was putting fuel in one of my cars at the corner of Hawthorne and PV Drive West. It's quite a nice area, nevertheless there was a panhandler traipsing into the gas station just as I was leaving. Even as my engine was running and I was in the process of putting on my seatbelt, this disheveled vagabond was waving and talking at me as he pulled his little hand cart of rubbish towards me. I was in my vintage Mercedes sports-coupe, so I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible before he could so much as breathe on it, though I was very tempted to roll down my window and inform him that he was definitely in the wrong neighborhood and he was lucky I didn't summon the local LACS Deputy to give him a "mahogany shampoo" and then dump his sorry derriere in San Pedro.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Funding the above seems like a reasonable use of taxpayer money. A charter flight -- or just Southwest Airlines -- coupled with a month at a motel.
I would pay for a bus ticket for a homeless to go to Iowa. Like me, pay for it, not give the money to a charity. Funny thing is, I've seen it more than once where homeless won't take food, they want money for who knows what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles