Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No, I'm not being funny....I'm requesting data from the poster who said this:

when I responded to his post:

I rarely hear or read about homeless people having jobs, so wondered from where that "claim" of his came. And from what you said in your above post, it sounds very difficult to hold down any type of job without a regular place to shower, change, eat, sleep, etc.
It is very difficult. I had a truck with a camper shell. Honestly, I have no idea how people who live on the street would be able to get and hold down a job.

I worked full time while I was homeless and thought I was pretty much an anomaly. But as I got to be friends with my coworkers after I found a place to live, I was surprised by how many of them had been homeless at least once. Most of the homeless people who are working usually have a vehicle of some kind, like a van, a camper, or a truck.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/...sleep-in-cars/

"Ellen Tara James-Penney, a 54-year-old lecturer at San Jose State University, parks her old Volvo at one of those safe haven churches, Grace Baptist Church, and eats in its dining hall.

She grades papers and prepares lessons in the Volvo. At night, she leans back the driver’s seat and prepares for sleep, one of two dogs, Hank, by her side.

The Bay Area native remembers the time a class was studying John Steinbeck, when another student said that she was sick of hearing about the homeless.

“And I said, ‘Watch your mouth. You’re looking at one.’ Then you could have heard a pin drop,” she said."

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Disneyland runs a business, not a charity.
The problem with that is, as a business, Disneyland is costing you, the taxpayer, in the same way that Wal-Mart is costing taxpayers who have to pay for the food stamps of employees who work for them but can't afford to buy food after they pay the bills. Wal-Mart and Disneyland and a whole bunch of other businesses are giving raises to CEOs while passing the brunt of supporting their workers onto you by refusing to pay them a living wage.

And judging by the number of people here who blame the employees instead of putting the blame where it belongs, on the company, it looks like these corporations are doing a pretty good job of deflecting attention from them and getting you riled up at the wrong people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No, no. Disney should be paying Entry level janitors $35 an hour, with full benefits, plus housing vouchers or freedom has no meaning.
Well, either Disney's gonna pay 'em of you're gonna pay 'em. Your choice.

You're like the people who moan and groan because poor people getting health care is costing them money without understanding that people who don't have health care and use ERs for doctor visits are pushing health care costs higher for everyone.

Who can afford to support the poor the most, you or Disney?

Let me put it another way: we live in a capitalistic society. We have to spend money to keep our economy going. If people have no money to spend, what do you think happens? In case you didn't know it, food stamps are a huge asset to grocery stores. Cut off food stamps and half the grocery stores in this country will go under.

But - if people were paid enough so they could afford to pay for their housing, their bills, and their food, that does just as much for the grocery stores as it does for the taxpayers. If people make more money, not only will they spend it and keep the economy growing, they'll be paying more and higher taxes, which also benefits the towns and cities people live in.

Think of that the next time you complain about the roads you're driving on. People on welfare and food stamps don't pay the taxes they would if they had higher paychecks. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart and Disney and other large corporations are getting tax breaks and taking their money out of the US and stashing it overseas so they can pay even fewer taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:26 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
What's clear is how the homeless situation is being dealt with in CA is not working.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It is very difficult. I had a truck with a camper shell. Honestly, I have no idea how people who live on the street would be able to get and hold down a job.
You are to be commended for your fortitude. (Couldn't rep you again.)

Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Funding the above seems like a reasonable use of taxpayer money. A charter flight -- or just Southwest Airlines -- coupled with a month at a motel.
I agree, if a homeless person can find a job in another area it would make sense to help them get there and pay for a place for them to stay until they start receiving regular checks.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I had almost the exact conversation with 2sleepy about the sanctuary laws. 2sleepy insinuates justification for the laws because ICE is hard to work with and local LE is understaffed. When I press about the laws themselves I get the "I'm not going to answer that."
If I said that, then it's on you to prove it.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
On other occasions, accusations of circular reasoning are thrown around when, paradoxically, the reasoning employed by the accuser is so very often...circular.
Proof?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
It's commendable of Disney CEO, Robert Iger for accepting a 17 percent paycut last year. His salary dropped to a measly $36.3 million per year, thus reducing any perceived disparity in salaries among Disney personnel.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If I said that, then it's on you to prove it.
Its on you to prove your own statements, not me. I don't even know how I would prove that ICE is hard to work with therefore it justifies the sanctuary laws.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, either Disney's gonna pay 'em of you're gonna pay 'em. Your choice.
See, this is the tactic usually employed by proponents of UHC. "If employers aren't over paying employees what the market is offering, then taxpayers will foot the bill."

How about, no! People live with the consequences of their life choices. You want to drop out of school, get addicted to drugs, and not work 40 hours a week? Then guess what? You get to sleep under a bridge and eat out of a dumpster. That's equitable and fair.

Also in your model, you don't ever describe the consequences of the increased individual tax burden to give homeless drug addicts a free ride.

Why is that?

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 04-04-2018 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
It's commendable of Disney CEO, Robert Iger for accepting a 17 percent paycut last year. His salary dropped to a measly $36.3 million per year, thus reducing any perceived disparity in salaries among Disney personnel.
I work at an engineering firm, getting an engineers salary. The janitor gets paid accordingly, the managers get paid accordingly, the vps and CEO gets paid accordingly. I have no expectations for the CEO to get paid my salary and vice versa. I don't expect the janitor to get paid my salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles