Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:05 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,709 times

Advertisements

I am a Latino from NYC and I would like to know how it is like to be a Latino from LA.

What do you think of police brutality? Do you think it is a big issue among the Latino community?

Do you see Latinos as being like other immigrant groups like the Italians and Irish who assimilated and have become fully American or like African Americans who have been here for hundreds of years and are labeled as the "others?"

Do you feel like Latinos would want to be like the Italians and Irish who had to assimilate even if that means having to lose their culture?

Latinos might be the majority in LA in years to come. What impact do you think this will have on the city, in politics, the culture?

Do you feel discrimination is a big issue among Latinos in LA? in housing, education, jobs, etc.

If you have any other comments on what it is like being Latino in LA, please be free to share.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 PM

55 posts, read 53,492 times
I’m not claiming to be Latino but one of the biggest struggles would be having to be labeled in/generalized as Mexican since that’s the dominate Hispanic demographic in LA where as in Miami it is a Latin America melting pot.

LA has many Central Americans and South Americans but no enough to stand out due to the heavy Mexican presence.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

Latinos might be the majority in LA in years to come.

Thank you.

Latinos have been the largest ethnic group in the City of LA since the 1990 Census....so for nearly 30 years the largest in terms of a plurality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles#Demographics

Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
I am a Latino from NYC and I would like to know how it is like to be a Latino from LA.

What do you think of police brutality? Do you think it is a big issue among the Latino community?

Do you see Latinos as being like other immigrant groups like the Italians and Irish who assimilated and have become fully American or like African Americans who have been here for hundreds of years and are labeled as the "others?"

Do you feel like Latinos would want to be like the Italians and Irish who had to assimilate even if that means having to lose their culture?

Latinos might be the majority in LA in years to come. What impact do you think this will have on the city, in politics, the culture?

Do you feel discrimination is a big issue among Latinos in LA? in housing, education, jobs, etc.

If you have any other comments on what it is like being Latino in LA, please be free to share.

Thank you.
The same as being a Latino in NYC.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Latinos in LA were sort of "exotic" up until the 1990s when we became a majority of the population. Now, we're like every third person here. The "exotic" people here are the Nordic/Anglo looking people from LA's mythical past.

The younger generations of Latinos are "Americanizing" and you see this more in the suburban areas around LA than anywhere else. Gang/Rap/Thug culture isn't really a "thing" in LA anymore, like it was in the 80s and 90s. Most Latino kids aspire to be cops, nurses, firemen, teachers and techies, like other American kids. The Asian kids are having more of an influence on them, than anything else, I think.

I expect LA will have mayors and political figures whose names end in "z", "a" or "o" long into the foreseeable future. Almost all of the larger cities and towns in L.A. County will be majority-Latino very soon, if not already.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
In the over 30 years that I've lived here, I've had Latino lawyers, realtors, car mechanics, car washers, plumbers, Starbucks barristas, nurses, dental X-ray technicians, and supermarket checkout clerks. I've also been pulled over by a Latino cop. I suppose living in L.A. has been a different experience for each of them.

I've also had a Latino agent. And Irish and Italian agents. They weren't very good. Hollywood is all about connections, so if you're seeking an agent, try and sign with a Jewish agent.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 42,404 times
Quote:

You escaped the country of your culture to come here. "Losing" it to become fully American should be what you aspire to.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
IMO, what generation you are will make somewhat of a difference.

But speaking about today, being Latino in Southern California seems to be the default instead of any sort of exception.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:23 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
This is your city! The rest of us are just living in it. It will be very interesting to see the future demographics of LA. I wonder how Latino we will go.

All Latinos are not the same either. LA is a Mexican Latino that's not the same as the east coast where island Latinos dominate.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
This is your city! The rest of us are just living in it. It will be very interesting to see the future demographics of LA. I wonder how Latino we will go.

All Latinos are not the same either. LA is a Mexican Latino that's not the same as the east coast where island Latinos dominate.
Not written in stone, but "as a rule" -- city -- ethnic group by order of influence:

Miami -- Cuban American, Dominican, South American, Puerto Rican, Spanish
Orlando -- Puerto Rican, Central American
Boston -- Puerto Rican, Dominican
Houston -- Mexican American, Dominican, Central American
Dallas -- Mexican American, Central American, Dominican
New York -- Puerto Rican, Dominican, South American
San Francisco -- Mexican American, Central American
Sacramento -- Mexican American
Fresno -- Mexican American
Los Angeles -- Mexican American, Central American, South American
Riverside -- Mexican American
San Diego -- Mexican American
Phoenix -- Mexican American
Tuscon -- Mexican American
Las Vegas -- Mexican American, Central American
El Paso -- Mexican American
San Antonio -- Mexican American
Albuquerque -- Spanish, Mexican American, Central American
Denver -- Mexican American
Chicago -- Puerto Rican, Mexican American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles