Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:25 PM

84 posts, read 112,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You're wrong. You live in LA. So did I. Lived in SF for college going back and forth to LA through college, Louisville, Philadelphia, Spain and Italy. Now NYC. Because OP wants to say idk anything about the world having grown up in LA for 23 years. But OP knows more than me. And you. Even though he's never lived in LA.
There he goes again... taking after trump with the lies and manipulations. Everything he can twist he does. And I have lived there. But keeeep reaching my friend... not for dreams or wealth or the westside, but for ways to flip people's words around to perpetuate your anger and feel better about yourself. It's a really good philosophy. #MiseryLovesCompany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecostanza1472 View Post
I'm considering moving out there, but have a strong suspicion it will be impossible to move back after. Life is too good out there. The weather is incredible, nightlife is better and more robust (rooftop pools, lounges, better bars, house parties galore, house pool parties), beaches are 5x as nice, and can be used year round, surfing, beach sports, entrepreneurial culture, world-class beautiful women, anything can happen attitudes, open people, wayyy better quality of housing, more pretty neighborhoods, entertainment business/excitement, slightly more diverse economy, wayyy cooler people, no "this is the way life is to be lived" mentality.

It's hard to imagine getting all that, then losing it to come back to be around family in Boston. It seems like it might be easier to just stay around, even though Boston is not big and open and cool and exciting.
Dude its expensive as hell and traffic is horrible. In boston at least you have some decent public transit.
If you want to live in LA make good money and have a reliable car.

Last edited by oping00; 04-17-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Although I am not from Boston and have never lived there, I was born and raised in nearby Providence, RI.

Despite being 1/4 Irish by ancestry, I generally despised the Irish Catholic vibe of Boston and eastern New England at large, since I am 3/4 Italian by ancestry and very Protestant by faith.

Most people from eastern New England who do not fit the Irish Catholic mold are often very happy and well-adjusted in Los Angeles, Orange County or wherever else they end up.

In my experience, the people who move away from eastern New England and almost invariably return are Irish Catholic people from large, clannish extended families and/or are nostalgic for the Irish Catholic vibe of Boston and New England in general.

Why do you think all the Yankees left New England for Upstate New York and the Upper Midwest in the 19th century?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
I lived in the San Gabriel Valley. Nice place, but not that awesome for a single person who likes the energy and go-getter mentality in LA.

I find people in Santa Monica to be not very plasticy. Beverly Hills, sure. SM? Not too much. I agree inland people are less obsessed with image and success, but it has it's good aspects too, lots of people take good care of themselves, lots of people accomplish great things.

Yes the beaches in LA itself aren't great, but Malibu, OC, they're closeby and have awesome beaches.
Any beach in SoCal is going to be crowded, and getting to them is a huge challenge in itself.
On a weekend(if you are driving) it would take over an hour to go from Santa Monica to Malibu, and most of the beach is taken over by the people who live there.
I don't think there are many public access ways to Malibu beach.
As for OC beaches, traffic getting to them is another huge headache.
Like I said, you have this bay watch idea of what SoCal is like, and believe me, it is nothing like that.

Bob.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:35 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
I wouldn’t expect my family in Boston to open their arms to me upon returning from the den of iniquity, the city of sin that is Los Angeles. Dog forbid.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
I'm considering moving out there, but have a strong suspicion it will be impossible to move back after. Life is too good out there. The weather is incredible, nightlife is better and more robust (rooftop pools, lounges, better bars, house parties galore, house pool parties), beaches are 5x as nice, and can be used year round, surfing, beach sports, entrepreneurial culture, world-class beautiful women, anything can happen attitudes, open people, wayyy better quality of housing, more pretty neighborhoods, entertainment business/excitement, slightly more diverse economy, wayyy cooler people, no "this is the way life is to be lived" mentality.

It's hard to imagine getting all that, then losing it to come back to be around family in Boston. It seems like it might be easier to just stay around, even though Boston is not big and open and cool and exciting.
You forgot the two hours a day at the gym and the Porsche. Other than that, yup all of us live exactly like you wrote it.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You forgot the two hours a day at the gym and the Porsche. Other than that, yup all of us live exactly like you wrote it.
Oh you fancy, huh? My friends and I only have black Range Rovers And you must specify. Those two hours at the gym cannot be done anywhere but LA Fitness or Equinox.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh you fancy, huh? My friends and I only have black Range Rovers And you must specify. Those two hours at the gym cannot be done anywhere but LA Fitness or Equinox.
Oh man, If I was paying for LA Fitness I couldn't afford the Porsche. Planet Fitness for me. LOL

Old 05-03-2019, 01:35 PM

325 posts, read 163,826 times
being from boston and going through my first winter here. i told myself i never wanted to see another damm snowflake again

Old 05-03-2019, 02:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
being from boston and going through my first winter here. i told myself i never wanted to see another damm snowflake again
The real trick is to drive to mountains when there is snow over the winter and then drive back to the 70 degree weather at the end of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles