Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 03:01 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,140,897 times

Advertisements

I was getting 15+ a day until they announced that they busted a ring of robo callers. Then it stopped for a while then started back up just not as prolifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 03:30 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,909,379 times
I no longer use my landline but I still keep it, in case of emergency (e.g., earthquake).

I only check my landline messages every month or so. Always, I have several dozen robocalls. Also a few live telemarketers, and the occasional wrong number.

I don't much mind the robocalls. It's their dime. If their clients want to waste their money on calling a number I never answer, so be it.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,954,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
If you have Spectrum phone you can sign on to your account and enter up to 30 phone numbers that you want blocked. if they call you will hear 1 ring and see "Incoming Call" on your caller ID. As time passes you can wipe out some of the older numbers and enter new ones. You can also activate NOMOROBO on your account.

On a cell phone you can block numbers as they show up on your call list.
Totally worthless as the technology to spoof fake numbers, or change numbers, is now commonly available to spammers. You will never know where they are calling from or what true number they are using. A guy from an India boiler room call center will look like a call from your town. If you do call back you will likely get some innocent guy that has nothing to do with the call.

However if you have an old girlfriend or boyfriend you don't want to talk to anymore, then it's helpful.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,717,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
I get the "Home Center" home remodeling project scam calls about once per week. Every time they call I pretend like I'm interested then I ask for a website of the business they give me a fake address, or say "we don't have one" or they just hang up at that point.
What I hate about those is that it's usually some illiterate goon telling me that he talked to me 8-10 months ago and I told him I was interested and to call me back. If only they knew how foolish they sounded and how little tolerance I have for bullstuff.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I was getting 15+ a day until they announced that they busted a ring of robo callers. Then it stopped for a while then started back up just not as prolifically.
Cool. Now then, if only our legislators made it a capital crime.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,389,356 times
I get so many of these calls I've stopped answering my phone unless I know who it is

Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,787,360 times
That's a wise policy.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:12 PM

I'm going phoneless -- let's see these people try to hijack my carrier pigeons!

Old 05-11-2019, 09:03 PM

54 posts, read 190,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Does everyone else mainly get the calls in Chinese or is it just because I'm in the SGV? 90% are in another language.
Lol, I do get those too. Apparently they call pretending to be from the Chinese embassy and telling Chinese immigrants they have a problem with their Visa's or the like.

Wish I knew how they get our numbers in the first place!

Old 05-11-2019, 09:13 PM

447 posts, read 209,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
If you have Spectrum phone you can sign on to your account and enter up to 30 phone numbers that you want blocked. if they call you will hear 1 ring and see "Incoming Call" on your caller ID. As time passes you can wipe out some of the older numbers and enter new ones. You can also activate NOMOROBO on your account.

On a cell phone you can block numbers as they show up on your call list.

It also helps if you screen calls with your caller id and don't answer suspicious numbers. I receive quite a few calls that match my area code but I don't recognize the numbers. Any legitimate callers will leave a message. I do have an answering machine on my phone.

This solves it for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles