Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:20 AM

403 posts, read 930,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
There is never enough focus on the amazing variety of residential architecture in L.A.; even the funky hybrid stuff, the brainchild of oldtime motion picture production designers.

Also, the architecture within the context of flat or hilly landscapes, but especially
canyons and coastal areas. I think a lot of people have this cliché-ridden concept of L.A. as lacking intensity and variety on the face of it. There is a lot of truth in the idea that L.A. was an entirely different set-up from the late 19th century up until today. When citiew become less polluted, they will become a lot saner too. You can chuck out the vision of a Blade Runner Los Angeles.
Agree with this. I really liked that aspect of Los Angeles. Interesting diversity in housing styles..everything from charming urban bungalows to some gorgeous classic courtyard apartment buildings, similar to what one might find in Chicago. We stayed at a Airbnb in Silver Lake, but got around the city a bit over the course of about 4 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I went to both of those places actually. Oh I guess having those two things completely outdoes the blocks and blocks of low end stores and dirty streets.
Angelenos have to pay so much to live here they have this amazing selective vision. They can look at the Biltmore and not see the homeless in tents across the street.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:37 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
I went to both of those places actually. Oh I guess having those two things completely outdoes the blocks and blocks of low end stores and dirty streets.
I don't understand what you mean by "low end stores." Walgreens, TJ Maxx, 7/11? Like they have in downtown Chicago?

Old 06-01-2019, 07:55 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
No it's not because it's the second largest city as reason alone, but it's because it promotes itself as a glitzy and glamorous city. We aren't talking about Omaha Nebraska here, we are talking about LOS ANGELES, a city that probably out of any city in the world (including NYC) has been featured the most on TV and in movies, and featured in a way that represents sophistican, glamorous lifestyles, and beauty abound everywhere.

So when you are walking in downtown, see that it's fairly dirty, and not as sophisticated as one would think, yes you take notice of that, and it becomes a disappointment. When you see Hollywood isn't as glamorous as they make it out to be, yes you get disappointed.

I found the LA that is NOT shown to be far more interesting than what is represented. I think you guys have a great cultural melting pot that is great to explore. The most promoted areas, like Hollywood, BH and SM I found disappointing.

Also I have no issue with grit. I live in a gritty neighborhood in Chicago called Avondale and love it. But if I see trash on the floor and crap all over, I am going to say it's dirty because it is and I don't like seeing that, either here or in LA or in any other city. Stores that sell cheap clothes and items, and when they are dominant in an area, I am not going to enjoy it as much because I don't shop for it. Has nothing to do with culture.

Koreatown had a good mix of establishments that were low end and high end. I like that variety. I am latino so seeing all those low end stores that appeared to be mostly run by Mexicans in downtown had nothing to do that they were Mexican or ran by any ethnic minority, rather it was because most of the stuff they sell you can easily tell is very low quality.
I think Hollywood films and reality shows promote the good and bad of LA. From such films as "Pretty Woman" to "End of Watch," Hollywood film makers tend to explore all aspects of the city, not just the glitz and glamour. I think first time visitors to LA are blown away by the cities landscape. The Hollywood Hills runs down the middle of the city. To the west is the Pacific Ocean and to the north the majestic San Gabriel Mountains. Downtown LA is but a small aspect of LA's allure. On the negative side, the homeless encampments visible throughout the city are not just an eye sore, but a shameful reminder of our city leaders lack of genuine compassion and concern.

Last edited by Angelino19; 06-01-2019 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 08:25 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Angelenos have to pay so much to live here they have this amazing selective vision. They can look at the Biltmore and not see the homeless in tents across the street.
I think it's impossible to ignore the homeless problem if you live in LA. We all see it, but what can we do about it.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:48 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I think Hollywood films and reality shows promote the good and bad of LA. From such films as "Pretty Woman" to "End of Watch," Hollywood film makers tend to explore all aspects of the city, not just the glitz and glamour. I think first time visitors to LA are blown away by the cities landscape. The Hollywood Hills runs down the middle of the city. To the west is the Pacific Ocean and to the north the majestic San Gabriel Mountains. Downtown LA is but a small aspect of LA's allure. On the negative side, the homeless encampments visible throughout the city are not just an eye sore, but a shameful reminder of our city leaders lack of genuine compassion and concern.
When did "glitz and glamour" become the default descriptive terms for Los Angeles? I've been hearing that a lot lately its weird.

Anyway, back to the OP's wildly inaccurate statement about how Los Angeles is portrayed in popular culture-can anyone name a single film or television show in which the ENTIRE city is portrayed as glamorous?

There aren't any.

The only time in history where this could have maybe been the case was from 1925-1940. After the installation of one of the biggest interurban rail systems the world has ever seen (to this date) and before the accelerated industrialization brought on by the war.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:31 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
When did "glitz and glamour" become the default descriptive terms for Los Angeles? I've been hearing that a lot lately its weird.

Anyway, back to the OP's wildly inaccurate statement about how Los Angeles is portrayed in popular culture-can anyone name a single film or television show in which the ENTIRE city is portrayed as glamorous?

There aren't any.

The only time in history where this could have maybe been the case was from 1925-1940. After the installation of one of the biggest interurban rail systems the world has ever seen (to this date) and before the accelerated industrialization brought on by the war.
It'd mostly be shows that are focused on the film and television industry and celebrityhood itself. Entourage certainly is a good example.

That's different from the original argument about downtown LA itself being glamorous. I agree that that hasn't been touted for a very, very long time.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-02-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
we are talking about LOS ANGELES, a city that probably out of any city in the world (including NYC) has been featured the most on TV and in movies, and featured in a way that represents sophistication, glamorous lifestyles, and beauty abound everywhere.
True, although there are many films and TV shows that don't portray L.A. in a positive light (as evidenced on these threads):

Funny how movies play up some places in LA...

Favorite LA movies!

My favorite movie scene of L.A.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:37 PM

145 posts, read 104,494 times
The decline of Little Tokyo and Chinatown has to do with change in immigration pattern. Based on my observation Chinese immigrants now congregate in San Gabriel Valley like San Gabriel, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Temple City, and Arcadia while Japanese have moved south to Torrance. In contrast Koreatown is still attracting many Korean immigrants.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "low end stores." Walgreens, TJ Maxx, 7/11? Like they have in downtown Chicago?
No. I don't consider those low-end stores. The ones I am talking about are everywhere in the historic district. Places like Misty Perfumes & Cosmetics. Again I am not saying they don't belong in downtown, rather they just really dominate downtown when it comes to shopping. I have been to most downtowns in the country, and I have never seen those types of stores dominate like they do in LA.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that downtown LA has a ton of that, but I do think it takes away some of the sophistication you see compared pretty much in any other downtown across the country and most parts of the world. I would say LA's downtown in terms of sophistication feels on par with a place like Cleveland, where you have some really nice places, beautiful architecture, and there is some sophistication but overall it's more gritty and low end than anything else.

Again, it's not a bad thing, some people like more of the grit feeling to the downtown, it's just not my preference. For me it was just a disappointment because LA is such a global and powerful city, and you wouldn't really get a sense of that through its downtown. But as many of you have said LA is a different city in layout where downtown is less important, so obviously the downtown is going to be less sophisticated than your typical city. I understand if you totally disagree with me on that.

Last edited by frimpter928; 06-03-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles