Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort112 View Post
Im deciding between buying a home in an exclusive Burbank Hills area and Porter Ranch estates. About the same price what do you think?

Where is your job?
How do the schools compare?

Plug the zips into this neat tool to make a comparison of demographics:

(Enter a zip, click enter, then go to the "compare" tab)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-12-2010 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
Default Porter Ranch Snob Appeal

First off, Westlake village and North Ranch do not even compare to living in the valley. I grew up in LA and those areas are old and not desired. In the valley, Porter Ranch, south of Ventura Blvd, and Calabasas are the top places you can live. Anything past Calabasas is too far and not a place people want to live. West hills is cheap and not a place that people are interested in at all. The MOST expensive homes in the valley are Porter a ranch, Calabasas and South of Ventura. Bell canyon is west hills and it's old out dated homes that are cheaper because it's so far out in the middle of nowhere and Rocketdyne used to dump it's rocket fuel in that area so people know it's contaminated there. Whoever thinks Westlake Village or Agoura or North Ranch is nicer than SFV areas is completely ignorant. Porter Ranch is the newest and nicest community in the valley. Best private schools and most educated people with "real money". Porter ranch is getting a new upscale shopping center called the village. Some people seriously have zero taste and don't even know what living in a good area means. A thing past Calabasas is cheaper and out in the middle of nowhere! No thanks!!!

Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsugar View Post
First off, Westlake village and North Ranch do not even compare to living in the valley. I grew up in LA and those areas are old and not desired. In the valley, Porter Ranch, south of Ventura Blvd, and Calabasas are the top places you can live. Anything past Calabasas is too far and not a place people want to live. West hills is cheap and not a place that people are interested in at all. The MOST expensive homes in the valley are Porter a ranch, Calabasas and South of Ventura. Bell canyon is west hills and it's old out dated homes that are cheaper because it's so far out in the middle of nowhere and Rocketdyne used to dump it's rocket fuel in that area so people know it's contaminated there. Whoever thinks Westlake Village or Agoura or North Ranch is nicer than SFV areas is completely ignorant. Porter Ranch is the newest and nicest community in the valley. Best private schools and most educated people with "real money". Porter ranch is getting a new upscale shopping center called the village. Some people seriously have zero taste and don't even know what living in a good area means. A thing past Calabasas is cheaper and out in the middle of nowhere! No thanks!!!
Comedy.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:05 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I go to Shepherd of the Hills church in Porter Ranch and have a lot of friends there. Many people there live in Northridge and nearby towns.
Sylmar varies from small old houses to new houses so my friends don't know that my house and neighborhood is modest. So yes for me there is snob appeal to living in Northridge. There is a lot of big sprawling ranch houses on big lots in Northridge.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:13 PM

221 posts, read 424,481 times
I have a relative who lives in the part of Northridge that borders Granada hills. I do not consider Northridge to have snob appeal. However, I do think of Northridge as being an Above Average area that I enjoying visiting when seeing family who live in the area. I would avoid the area of Northridge south of Parthenia street. For snob appeal I would be looking at places like Beverly Hills,Malibu, Palos Veredes etc.

Don't get me wrong most of Northridge is way nicer than places like Pacomia, north Hollywood, van nuys, reseda, slymar, panorama city, canoga park, Arleta etc

Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 PM

36 posts, read 47,290 times
Most of what I've seen in Northridge, and LA overall for that matter is over priced junk. Except for the ultra extravagant homes in BH, I've been less than impressed by the homes. I've seen far nicer in AZ or Atlanta for that matter.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalton View Post
Most of what I've seen in Northridge, and LA overall for that matter is over priced junk. Except for the ultra extravagant homes in BH, I've been less than impressed by the homes. I've seen far nicer in AZ or Atlanta for that matter.
Welcome to LA where you pay $700k-$1 million for old, small out of date 2-3 bedroom house with no yard. It's definitely not exclusive to Northridge. You actually get a lot more for your money in Northridge then most parts of LA

Old 06-06-2017, 04:45 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
I was in Northridge last week for business and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I was on streets Nordhoff and Tampa and man it felt like I was offroading the streets were crap!! The 405 street sign was completely bleeched out and unreadable. It just looked like a forgotten city and very neglected. I didn't see anything to be snobby about but hopefully I didn't see the good parts cause the bad parts are really bad.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
It's hot there and could blow up if that gas has not seeped out!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Northridge is alright , but nothing really worth driving far for if one doesn't live there. There's not really any fine dining or upscale shopping in Northridge. Woodland Hills is definitely a lot more upscale and trendy.
I think if it weren't for CSUN the area would probably be quite a bit worse. It's a pretty dense part of the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles